Wellwood or Locke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
I was wondering how these two players compare, and which would have a better chance at the NHL? I've never seen either play, but I've read comments on both and on Wellwood, he was supposed to be an extremely soft player, but he is doing great in the AHL. I also haven't read much flattering about his speed.

Locke's drawbacks have always been his size and skating. Both players tore up the OHL (Locke is still doing so), so does anyone find these players similar, and which one has the better tools for the NHL?

(and plz, let's not turn this into a hab fan/leaf fan prospect competition, we all know the habs win that one :p )

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
sonnytheman said:
I was wondering how these two players compare, and which would have a better chance at the NHL? I've never seen either play, but I've read comments on both and on Wellwood, he was supposed to be an extremely soft player, but he is doing great in the AHL. I also haven't read much flattering about his speed.

Locke's drawbacks have always been his size and skating. Both players tore up the OHL (Locke is still doing so), so does anyone find these players similar, and which one has the better tools for the NHL?

(and plz, let's not turn this into a hab fan/leaf fan prospect competition, we all know the habs win that one :p )

I've seen both play, and I can see some similar things, but Wellwood who is on the small side, is bigger by a few inches. (I know Locke is listed at 5'9, but he don't look it) But if Locke continues to add weight, it should help him some. But more importantly he must get stronger and quicker. I think both will have a hard time in the NHL, as Wellwood does seem very soft (although I've only seen him twice all year and wasn't paying much attention to him) whereas Locke seems to have a gritty side to him which will help him at the higher levels, but he's so damn small and not very fast (I'd say he's got ok speed in the OHL, but it's gona give him problems in the AHL)

But both seem to have a lot of offensive abilities, and Locke can make some unreal passes. I'm not really one who should be answering this cause I am pro Locke since I cover the Hab prospects.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Locke will be lucky to reach the NHL at all IMO, Wellwood should be a solid NHLer.

If Locke does anything in the NHL I'll be shocked and amazed, not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

st_roland

Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Locke will be lucky to reach the NHL at all IMO, Wellwood should be a solid NHLer.

If Locke does anything in the NHL I'll be shocked and amazed, not saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

Your avatar is the best ever.

parisefan55

Dec 30, 2003
Handsome B. Wonderful said:

Its funny that you say that about Locke. The EXACT same things were said last year about a fella named.....KYLE WELLWOOD.

Now don't get me wrong Kyle is hardly a Top Prospect in my books, but he did make the show already (albeit only for one game so far) but that is more than a lot of people thought.

Corey Locke is obviously going to be 1000 times the junior player than he will be a pro player, but I don't think that people should buy into the excuses for his point production.

Last year he was "feeding off Matt Foy and Scott Sheppard". Well this year they are both gone and he is still among the leading OHL scorers on a less than par 67's team.

I say leave the poor guy alone and lets see what he can do in the AHL next year before you say he will NEVER make the NHL.

leafaholix*

Wellwood's a few steps ahead.

They're on different levels, so it's not a fair comparison right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->