Wells Fargo Center darkening lights above crowd

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Just watching some highlights of Flyers games this past season and noticed the lights above the crowd were dimmed. Is this a new policy there, or have they been doing that for a while? It doesn't look right, IMO, should be able to see the crowd's orange.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I don't recall that. I do know that they put in a new LED lighting system over the ice last season that is extremely bright. I don't recall the full quote or context but i remember that at the beggining of the year there were references to Mason saying it was tough to adjust to the new lightning.

Perhaps the lighting over the ice being brighter makes the crowd a little more difficult to see?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The rink is brighter, the stands are darker. They're using the Sixers MSG style lighting that darkens the crowd making the focus on the field of play. The whole thing started last year.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I absolutely hate that. No idea why, but it just looks better to me when you can see the entire crowd as well. I noticed the Kings did that this year as well. Watching Flyers playoff games from 2012 and seeing the orange in the stands was great, now should the Flyers return to the playoffs in 2016 we won't see it? Yikes.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I did not notice anything either the games I was there or the games I saw on TV. Maybe someone can show a picture of what they are talking about?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I went to a couple of games last year and yes the rink was ridiculously bright. I think Mason complained about it too in the early part of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad