Post-Game Talk: Well that was fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
So can we get the double check out? Like why is it alright for Wingels to even go in for a check on marner when he is already checked and pinned by Chara.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I hope so. Andersen is like a bernier caliber goalie. He has okay numbers but can really deflate the team at times
Hey I love what Andersen's capable of but we can't ignore that we got a goalie on the bench with a 11-5-1 W-L and a .934 SV%. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a backup has come off the bench and propelled a team.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Hey I love what Andersen's capable of but we can't ignore that we got a goalie on the bench with a 11-5-1 W-L and a .934 SV%. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a backup has come off the bench and propelled a team.
Well there's a difference between what Andersen's capable of and what he's been doing this past month. McElhinney deserves a look if Andersen can't get it together tomorrow

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I hope so. Andersen is like a bernier caliber goalie. He has okay numbers but can really deflate the team at times

There is literally not one example of this happening.

In fact its quite the opposite. The team has OFTEN stepped up and given Freddy a bunch of goals to work with when hes not perfect. That is the opposite of "deflating". And for every game they did that, theres two where Freddy saved their bacon, as a goaltender should.

The standard this board holds goaltending to is ridiculous. Goodness!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The refs missed calls on both teams. The refs allowed this game to get out of hand. Results may still be the same but we would not be looking at a Kadri suspension and Wingels would be heathly. Refs are fully to blame for these outcomes.

or Kadri should have been more responsible for his actions as well as the refs doing their jobs properly. just a thought.

Reactions: The Apologist

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
There is literally not one example of this happening.

In fact its quite the opposite. The team has OFTEN stepped up and given Freddy a bunch of goals to work with when hes not perfect. That is the opposite of "deflating". And for every game they did that, theres two where Freddy saved their bacon, as a goaltender should.

The standard this board holds goaltending to is ridiculous. Goodness!

No, what is ridiculous is that these boards think .918SV is elite. It’s not.

He has had a very up and down season and sadly right now he’s on a downswing. He’s been awful for over a month.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

He has had a very up and down season and sadly right now he’s on a downswing. He’s been awful for over a month.
it sure looks great compared to his .914 career sv% in the playoffs. that's pretty underwhelming

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
or Kadri should have been more responsible for his actions as well as the refs doing their jobs properly. just a thought.
Agree but it's a little chicken or the egg situation. If refs had a better handle to we still get Kadri blindsiding wingels?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Agree but it's a little chicken or the egg situation. If refs had a better handle to we still get Kadri blindsiding wingels?

okay. let's put it this way.
according to Naz he saw the elbow, and was committed to the hit.
so if the ref were to blow the whistle was naz prepared to not hit Wingles? there wasn't really a lot of time between the elbow and the hit. (I could be wrong).

also. Naz got away with almost kneeing Wingles. he was lucky getting away with that.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

By the regular season's end, I've come to realize that Freddy is slightly overrated by this fanbase.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
okay. let's put it this way.
according to Naz he saw the elbow, and was committed to the hit.
so if the ref were to blow the whistle was naz prepared to not hit Wingles? there wasn't really a lot of time between the elbow and the hit. (I could be wrong).

also. Naz got away with almost kneeing Wingles. he was lucky getting away with that.

Kadri was definitely over the line. But I just dont know if things just could've been avoided.

Leafs as a whole needs better composure. Kadri might benefit from his suspension if he can check the emotion but keep the intensity

Leafs27

Ceci n'est pas un joueur de hockey.
Mar 13, 2007
Kingston, ON
So can we get the double check out? Like why is it alright for Wingels to even go in for a check on marner when he is already checked and pinned by Chara.
Seriously, I've had enough of refs ignoring bullshit like this. Presumably #BecauseItsTheCup? :facepalm:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Is Freddy able to bounce back? He has before! If they lose the 2nd game does he play at home? Babs won't change it up unless Freddy gets injured. Curtis would be my Starter for game 2. A message to Fred if nothing else.
Some have said that Fred wasn't the one to blame,I agree,but he was one of many to blame. 5 goals!! don't really care what the excuses were,it's not good goaltending!

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I’m one of Freddy’s biggest supporters on this board but that performance, and his outings over the last month have not been up to his level.

Freddy was Vezina-like for a long stretch and we need that back if we don’t want to be bounced in the first round (and possibly by an embarrassing margin).

It’s mental, I know. But he needs to be better. Tomorrow.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So you're blaming last night on the goalie?

I don't think he gave them a chance to be honest. He wasn't the Andersen we've seen a lot this season and he'll need to be a lot better if the Leafs are going to make it a series.

It's pretty rare you can win a playoff series without good to great goaltending.

If we're getting October/March Andersen in the next couple games.. it won't be a long series.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
This thread has about run its course. The next game's thread is open.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I don't think he gave them a chance to be honest. He wasn't the Andersen we've seen a lot this season and he'll need to be a lot better if the Leafs are going to make it a series.

It's pretty rare you can win a playoff series without good to great goaltending.

If we're getting October/March Andersen in the next couple games.. it won't be a long series.

The team in front of him scored one goal.

Is he supposed to win 1-0?

The first two goals were powerplay goals. Hard to fault the goalie there. The third goal was a gong show of poor play in front of him. Also hard to fault him. 4th goal I honestly dont remember. 5th goal was a PP goal.

How is that his fault?

Reactions: SprDaVE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->