Post-Game Talk: Well, that happened. Stanley Cup Finals post-series talk.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
This is going to be one long ass summer.

Will have to cheer the AV's in the 2nd round tho. It would suck even more if the Sharks got past them.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
I haven't the time to read the morass of threads on this subject, so sorry if this has already been addressed- I feel bad that Eakin's era with VGK will be defined by this as he will undoubtedly be ridden out on a rail this offseason. He has given his all for this franchise since day 1 and I love him as a player.
We'll miss you, Eaks!

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
He won't be defined by this. Everyone in the organization along with the fans know he really didn't do anything deserving of the punishment. He was likely gone to begin of no fault of his own.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I haven't the time to read the morass of threads on this subject, so sorry if this has already been addressed- I feel bad that Eakin's era with VGK will be defined by this as he will undoubtedly be ridden out on a rail this offseason. He has given his all for this franchise since day 1 and I love him as a player.
We'll miss you, Eaks!
I hope not. Eakin did what many do out on the ice during the playoffs. Saint Joe lost his balance and got hurt. The refs over reacted in large part due to the SJ fans and Joe's elite status. The rest is history. You guys got boned. Welcome to the NHL. It happens. Now you are initiated.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Putting emotion aside, I have to reluctantly agree that VGK needed to do something to stop the Sharks onslaught during that 5 minute major. Four goals? Horrible. I had to look away after the second goal, and I can't remember, but did Turk call a timeout? The Sharks were on a mission and we didn't/couldn't do anything to stop it.

So credit to the Sharks there. Kinda like following an armored car down the freeway, seeing the back doors fly open, money spilling out and then pulling over and scooping up all the money. :laugh:

That's gonna taint whatever success the Sharks have the rest of these playoffs.

I'm actually not as upset this morning as I thought I might be. In my mind, however small, :laugh: we won the game and the series. Just will never know how far we might have gone. I think I would have felt worse had we gotten blown out in game 7. Of course, I'm trying to forget we pissed away the 3-1 series lead. :eek:

I had been critical awhile back about this team not having the same fight as last season. But, boy oh boy, they put up the good fight in coming back in this game. Proud of them! :thumbu:

Saddest part, for me anyway, is knowing there are some players who will not be back next season, players who were with us since the beginning and helped take us on that amazing ride last season. :(

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Putting emotion aside, I have to reluctantly agree that VGK needed to do something to stop the Sharks onslaught during that 5 minute major. Four goals? Horrible. I had to look away after the second goal, and I can't remember, but did Turk call a timeout? The Sharks were on a mission and we didn't/couldn't do anything to stop it.

So credit to the Sharks there. Kinda like following an armored car down the freeway, seeing the back doors fly open, money spilling out and then pulling over and scooping up all the money. :laugh:

That's gonna taint whatever success the Sharks have the rest of these playoffs.

I'm actually not as upset this morning as I thought I might be. In my mind, however small, :laugh: we won the game and the series. Just will never know how far we might have gone. I think I would have felt worse had we gotten blown out in game 7. Of course, I'm trying to forget we pissed away the 3-1 series lead. :eek:

I had been critical awhile back about this team not having the same fight as last season. But, boy oh boy, they put up the good fight in coming back in this game. Proud of them! :thumbu:
:(

People were sad we lost the OG's in Neal and Perron and that worked out quite fine. I think we're going to be even better next year if GMGM can simply get 1 top 4 D and lessen Flower's workload.

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
People were sad we lost the OG's in Neal and Perron and that worked out quite fine. I think we're going to be even better next year if GMGM can simply get 1 top 4 D and lessen Flower's workload.
Oh, I totally agree. I think once everything shakes out, we'll have a more talented roster.

I was just thinking in terms of emotion and nostalgia. Sad to see the guys we've gone through so much with be gone. :thumbd:

Reactions: MrLouniverse

Supertack

Nov 19, 2013
Mundelein
Bad call aside, you can't give up 4 PPGs in one PP, regardless of length. I've seen way more 5 minute majors killed off without allowing any goals, than I've seen 5 minute majors that surrender 2 goals, ..... let alone 4.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Oh, I totally agree. I think once everything shakes out, we'll have a more talented roster.

I was just thinking in terms of emotion and nostalgia. Sad to see the guys we've gone through so much with be gone. :thumbd:

I'm thinking that 2020-2021 will be better once we are freed of several bad contracts that will allow us to make a big trade or be a major player in free agency to add a superstar player. I'm thinking that we need to add a legit top 2 dman. Schmidt didn't explode into the superstar that some in the media predicted. Shea on the other hand improved by a lot and I hope that he continues to improve.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I just don't even know what to say, nobody should have to watch their season end like that on a blown reactionary call, my sincere condolences.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
I think there might be a rule change coming. All 5 min majors/game misconduct penalties should be reviewed by toronto. In college football, whenever a player is kicked out for targeting, they always have replay confirm that the right call has been made. Getting kicked out of a game and the 5 minute major that goes along with it needs to be verified. Things can happen very fast and all it would have took was 1 look to see that it was no way a 5 minute major for a cross check to the head. At worst it's a 2 minute minor penalty.
Ex-player Dave Poulin - now a TSN analyst - figures majors will now have to be reviewed as the refs/linesmen on the ice somehow blew this call even having worked 5000 NHL games collectively and affected a playoff series. He was responding to a question about the league changing the rules after one bad offsides call fwiw

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The concussion thing probably definitely had an impact on this. Pavelski hit his head and was bleeding, with the current climate on head injuries it makes sense that they’d feel like they needed to call something, and something strong.

Doesn’t make it right, though. Enforcement of the rules comes after the rules are made, you don’t enforce non existent rules due to result.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Ex-player Dave Poulin - now a TSN analyst - figures majors will now have to be reviewed as the refs/linesmen on the ice somehow blew this call even having worked 5000 NHL games collectively and affected a playoff series. He was responding to a question about the league changing the rules after one bad offsides call fwiw

Anytime in any sport where there is a rule that exists that can kick a player out of the game, it should be double checked by video review. Baseball might be the lone exception for chirping the ump, but in the nba if a player comes off the bench in a fight I believe that it is an automatic ejection (and suspension?) so they use review to see who left the bench and in the nfl and college football, ejections are always reviewed because many times a hit that looks like it is a hit that looks like a hit that is worthy of an ejection, could be overturned because the player who got it turned into the other players path and the other player couldn't react quick enough or someone bracing for a hit squats down to brace himself from a hit just enough so a hit that should have been a shoulder to shoulder hit ends up being a headshot gets overturned because its not the tacklers fault. In this case, the refs never saw where contact was made with the crosscheck and all they had to do was to look up at the jumbotron and they would have at worst given Eakin a 2 minute penalty.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Division winners, previous years cup and conference finalists lol. It’s upside downy playoffs

Makes me even more pissed off we're not still alive. With the field so wide open there's no reason to believe the Cup wouldn't have come down to a WCF between us and St. Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->