News Article: Welcome to the team Crosby goes above and beyond to make teammates feel included

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Great story. It's amazing the NHL has such a talent and awesome human in the league but 90% of the fans can't see it. Or pretend they don't.

I don't think he's done winning championships but if he is I am just prepping myself to absorb and reflect during the rest of his Penguins career.

My advice to any fans is to enjoy it and don't get caught taking this run for granted. Because X-Generation or Y-Generation or whatever it'll be called will be rolling into town quicker than we think or want.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I don't think many people here will be surprised, being as detail-oriented as he is about the game, that he'd make sure he knows a little something about each guy's life and personality and make sure the stuff he does on the human side is first class, too. But it is something we take for granted I think.

Much easier to go out there and fight for a teammate and your captain when shit gets tough, if you feel they are genuinely in your life and give a damn about you as a person, than if it's all diagrams on a board and cold calculations. "All business all the time" wouldn't work very often but I suspect that's the impression most fans outside of Pittsburgh have of him.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
My friends brother knows Grant and he said Crosby called Grant once he signed and said when he gets to Pittsburgh call him and they can hang out, play golf, go for a beer etc. he also asked if he needed a place to stay and that he could stay with Crosby until he found a place.

So generous with his time and own place to make new players welcome. Awesome.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
My friends brother knows Grant and he said Crosby called Grant once he signed and said when he gets to Pittsburgh call him and they can hang out, play golf, go for a beer etc. he also asked if he needed a place to stay and that he could stay with Crosby until he found a place.

I am insanely curious as to what beer Sid indulges in

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
I am insanely curious as to what beer Sid indulges in
303FC702-2211-4903-9CEE-113B1DE14D77.png

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He's just a class act all the way through. I feel very grateful to be able to cheer for a guy who is not only an incredible hockey player but also seems to be a good human being as well.

When we got Kessel Sid phoned him up and said we're gonna try to win a Cup. That was a feel good moment considering that...well they did. Twice.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Crosby is a testament to his parents as he clearly exhibits respect not just for the game he loves, but for people in general. He's a first class person as he is an athlete, and fortunately many hockey players have such values.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
These kinds of stories are why I love and admire Crosby so much.

These are why I am glad my godson is growing up a Pens fan and has a positive role model like Sid.

I have told these stories many times but, hey, Sid is awesome so...

- When he was 16 in Rimouski, people were waiting outside for a chance to get tickets. Sid bought coffee and donuts for everyone. He was touched and humbled that people were lining up just to see him play the game he loves.

- When he was 19, he attented a charity tournament in Magog, Qc (I was there for that one). It was rainy outside and Sid was supposed to do an autograph session outside. At first, they cancelled it, but Sid insisted he wanted to do it. They set up a little tent outside and he signed autographs and took pictures for an hour. One guy wanted Sid to hold his baby and take a picture. Sid held the baby and gosh he had the most genuine smile on his face ever. When my turn came, I told him I was a big fan and asked him to sign my cap. I spoke to him in English, but he said "merci" in French. Meant a lot to me... I was 20.

I mean, that's who he is. An humble and genuine nice guy. Great role models. When people say sports need more "personality", I laugh and say: nah, sports need more people like Sid.

StroShow

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
These kinds of stories are why I love and admire Crosby so much.

These are why I am glad my godson is growing up a Pens fan and has a positive role model like Sid.

I have told these stories many times but, hey, Sid is awesome so...

- When he was 16 in Rimouski, people were waiting outside for a chance to get tickets. Sid bought coffee and donuts for everyone. He was touched and humbled that people were lining up just to see him play the game he loves.

- When he was 19, he attented a charity tournament in Magog, Qc (I was there for that one). It was rainy outside and Sid was supposed to do an autograph session outside. At first, they cancelled it, but Sid insisted he wanted to do it. They set up a little tent outside and he signed autographs and took pictures for an hour. One guy wanted Sid to hold his baby and take a picture. Sid held the baby and gosh he had the most genuine smile on his face ever. When my turn came, I told him I was a big fan and asked him to sign my cap. I spoke to him in English, but he said "merci" in French. Meant a lot to me... I was 20.

I mean, that's who he is. An humble and genuine nice guy. Great role models. When people say sports need more "personality", I laugh and say: nah, sports need more people like Sid.

Exactly, I've been a Crosby fan pretty much ever since I started watching hockey as a kid. Seeing him become the leader he is, and his personality is just so easy to root for. I'll always be a Sid fan. Crazy to think he's already 31, here's to several more dominant years from Sid.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
For a dude that’s had all of hockey’s media following him around since he was 16 it’s pretty impressive that the most controversial story anyone has ever heard about him is skipping the line at the DMV.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
For a dude that’s had all of hockey’s media following him around since he was 16 it’s pretty impressive that the most controversial story anyone has ever heard about him is skipping the line at the DMV.

16? More like 10.

He had his first HNIC at around 10. By the time he was 14, he was a national star. I remember the first time I watched him play, it was the Midget AAA Canadian championship, he was 14. The following year, he went to Shattucks and the media reported on him regularly.

He grew up in the spotlight and remained humble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad