Welcome to the Drew Doughty Renaissance

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Doughty is a weird case imo, i never thought he was as good as some people said, but i don’t think he ever was as bad as some people say.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Must have never watched him in his prime. He was the best defenseman on a team stacked with Norris trophy winners in 2010 and then was a lynchpin in two cups.
I did, still don’t agree.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I compared Doughty's numbers to other top defencemen in the Norris thread and Doughty was not even close, even in TM rel stats.

Makar and Hedman were a clear step above, with Mcvoy and Hamilton not far behind.

Literally all d-men on absolute powerhouse teams, except Drew.

But I like how the narrative has shifted from "he's toast" to "lol barely top 5 for Norris"

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty is a weird case imo, i never thought he was as good as some people said, but i don’t think he ever was as bad as some people say.

I think the media at large OVERcorrected on him after 2014...but hard to blame them in a way after he had arguably the best hockey year of anyone in the world in 2014, because they realized they vastly underrated him the rest of the time (before 2012 and after his Norris). But it's hard to dispute the d-men of his time were Keith, Karlsson, Doughty in whatever order one prefers.

The one thing that's NOT true about any of these guys is the narrative about AINEC, I can't take any posters seriously once they've done that on these guys.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There's no narrative, I was simply responding to the post about him compared to other Norris candidates.

Sorry not yours, the overriding narrative. I appreciated your comparison, even if I think it doesn't account for Drew's situation. It tells me something that he's in the conversation with those guys despite a team closer to the lottery than the playoffs, when they're all on league leaders.

Reactions: Little Psycho

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Still the best true defenseman in the NHL. All-situations...5 on 3, 3 on 5, 5 on 5, 4 on 4, up two goals, down two goals, tie game, playoffs, OT, whatever.

Any of the teams that have the young, super-hot "number one" defenseman on their teams, they play their defenseman like Erik Karlsson. They just use the guy to drive the offense. If they had Drew Doughty instead, they would play him in the same role that these young proto-number one guys are but they would also play DD in the key defensive situations as well. DD would demand it.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
No, he's right. If you talk to anyone who understands the game, Doughty was a true topflight defence man for a long time. He's still good.
But I remember watching him in 2009-2010 season and turning to my dad and saying, "f***, the Kings just got a 19 year old Lidstrom quality defence man. They're going to win cups'.
He hasn't aged quite as well as Lidstrom (who has?) but he's been a top 2 or 3 D in the league for several years and took turns with Chara, Keith, Hedman, and Karlsson being the best in the league for 5-7 years.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
No, he's right. If you talk to anyone who understands the game, Doughty was a true topflight defence man for a long time. He's still good.
But I remember watching him in 2009-2010 season and turning to my dad and saying, "f***, the Kings just got a 19 year old Lidstrom quality defence man. They're going to win cups'.
He hasn't aged quite as well as Lidstrom (who has?) but he's been a top 2 or 3 D in the league for several years and took turns with Chara, Keith, Hedman, and Karlsson being the best in the league for 5-7 years.

Could also be why the Kings were rumored after a younger dynamic LHD...give Doughty a Rafalski for his late 30s.

But he's still driving hard himself, so it's all good for now.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Could also be why the Kings were rumored after a younger dynamic LHD...give Doughty a Rafalski for his late 30s.

But he's still driving hard himself, so it's all good for now.
That would be cool. One thing people underestimate in terms of legacies of top players, is the situation they find themselves in as their career evolves. Being icons everyone thinks that they "should be good enough to make any team good', but I suspect Doughty noticed the difference btw playing with Muzzin versus playing with MacDermid (not saying Mac was a regular partner, more making a point).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad