Welcome to the Drew Doughty Renaissance

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Every time Drew has been selected to play for team Canada he's been a monster.

Girl on Cinema's video being shared here ? What world are we living in.

that's actually a broken link interestingly enough, i was confused too because it showed me a video i watched a week or so back. it's actually playing your "last liked" video on youtube, that ;list=LL syntax broke it somehow

he was trying to link this

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, cause he isn't

I don't think it's definitive at all but he's at least re-entered the conversation and has the history/pedigree to show it's not just a one-time show.

But obviously we'll have to see how the season plays out from here.

It'll be interesting to see how he evolves--he's not playing like the ultimate shutdown guy he once was because that role is starting to be transitioned to Matt Roy, we'll see if he can keep his offense up to prove himself as the all-situations stud we've known him to be throughout his career.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
There's a decent chance Doughty wins the Norris this year and that will upset a lot of people.

I'd say it's an extremely outside chance, considering there's still guys like Hedman kicking around to go along with newer guard like Makar.

But if he can mount the same sort of challenge he did in 2018--having essentially the same season as Hedman but on a borderline playoff team--maybe more will notice this time.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Well he said that he wanted to play in the Olympics again, I knew he was going to turn it around this year. Drew needs something to wake up for to really get him going

Reactions: LAKings88

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I would be shocked if he won the Norris.

Why's that? Are we talking advanced stats, point totals, or the eye test? If Doughty drags a defensive core of four rookies into the playoffs, will he not be viewed favorably? Or will Quinn Hughes, leading the league in points and worst plus-minus take the trophy? I'm not saying he's favored, but you could make worse bets.

Reactions: crassbonanza

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Only way he’s nominated for the Norris is if the Kings continue playing well and make the playoffs. Doughty is still 1 of the best when he’s motivated.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Got DD real late in a draft and lets say Im loving the comeback. Didn't even expect it tbh but very good to get those bonus points :thumbu:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

6th in Dman scoring despite deployment, 2nd in league in TOI/gp. most ahead of him in scoring have up to 4 more games, others are Petry and Hedman, he's right in the mix for the dman scoring lead despite much more defensive responsibility than those ahead of him in points.

Dude has manned the f*** up this year. was already in CF rel, has also corrected to 7.41 GF% rel.

Really not much more one human can do for the Kings, lol. Hope he can keep this up for legacy reasons at this point, especially given the dirt people were all too eager to throw on his casket.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
I’m more surprised by Dustin Brown.

3-4 years ago, there were talks about him being severely overpaid and washed. He must have read those threads and took it to heart because he’s been solid all year so far, everywhere

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
What will the Karlsson truthers say if he continues his amazing play and win the Norris again this year?

I compared Doughty's numbers to other top defencemen in the Norris thread and Doughty was not even close, even in TM rel stats.

Makar and Hedman were a clear step above, with Mcvoy and Hamilton not far behind.

Taishici

Oct 19, 2017
I compared Doughty's numbers to other top defencemen in the Norris thread and Doughty was not even close, even in TM rel stats.

Makar and Hedman were a clear step above, with Mcvoy and Hamilton not far behind.

I am sorry but that's a terrible way to evaluate defenseman, always has been and always will be.

Reactions: ru4reals

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I’m more surprised by Dustin Brown.

3-4 years ago, there were talks about him being severely overpaid and washed. He must have read those threads and took it to heart because he’s been solid all year so far, everywhere
He's actually been playing that way for the last few years. Had a bit of a drop off stats wise last year but back up again and going strong. The time off helped him out a ton

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
What will the Karlsson truthers say if he continues his amazing play and win the Norris again this year?

At their peak Karlsson was at an entire other level. It wasn't even close.

Now? Karlsson is a shadow of his former self and Doughty is looking strong.

Taishici

Oct 19, 2017

I am generally curious how any one can come to the conclusion that Karlsson was at another level than Doughty during their peak. I have watched and studied both players for years and I would never ever come to that conclusion.

Taking into consideration regular season, playoffs and international play, in my opinion they are the best two defenseman during this past decade. They both controlled the game like no other dmen, but in completely different ways. I think Karlsson could still be really good on a different team. I think he would be dominate on Vegas or Colorado for example.

They are both really really special players that get far to much hate on these boards.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

There hasn't been a single second of Karlsson's career in which he was better than Doughty. Not a single second.

Reactions: Seventyx7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad