Prospect Info: Welcome to Montréal, Jesperi Kotkaniemi (1st round pick, 3OA 2018 - signed ELC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Neither am I, but Kotkaniemi is already playing against much tougher competition at 17. Liiga is pretty close to AHL imo.
It's the first time I watched as many Liiga games in a season. The level was surprisingly good, apart from Pori's grindpuck in the playoffs.
I'd put money on some top Liiga teams vs top AHL.

Reactions: Redux91 and Mrb1p

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
There’s pressure for Laval to succeed. I love Joel and happy the Habs have him to develop the young players, but they signed some really good AHL players to help the Rocket out. I’d rather Jesperi be the 1C in Finland than the 3C in Laval.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
There’s pressure for Laval to succeed. I love Joel and happy the Habs have him to develop the young players, but they signed some really good AHL players to help the Rocket out. I’d rather Jesperi be the 1C in Finland than the 3C in Laval.

This may well be the best direction for his development, deferring of course to the Habs new coaching/developing team accrued in Laval. Adding Alex Burrows certainly puts their staff on the cutting edge for the up to date conditioning/systems incorporated by NHL teams. Bouchard & the Habs are loading all the chambers, leaving no stones unturned so to speak.(As their European Combine suggested, Habs management is leading the way once again. Soon all NHL teams will be adding this wrinkle into their programs.)
Certainly the Habs are pursuing every option open to them in their pursuit of the 25th SCC, great news for All Habs fans IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod:

Reactions: cphabs

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
I'd put SHL or Swiss league before Liiga, but the Finnish league is the closest to AHL/NHL in term of physical impact. Keeping Kotka in Liiga would be the best for him, just like Vancouver did with Petersson, the kid had a spectacular season after his drafting year.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If Liga is better than AHL then play him there at center to get ready to come to AHL next year for a bit to get used to NA hockey before coming up to NHL.

I REALLY don’t want him rushed. Take your time, step by step and bring him up when he’s ready to dominate. Don’t care if it takes 3 years or more. Don’t. Mess. This. Up!

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Just look at the Marlies as an example. I may be mistaken, but even when the Leafs weren’t doing well, the Marlies always seemed to be good.

My point is this. In a cap world a team has to have the best development system money can buy because you sure as hell are not going to survive trying to buy players. Also, as others have stated, it makes sense to have complete control of a 3 tiered devopment program and making it worth playing in their tier.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Is there actually a chance he plays AHL? I thought he was confirmed Liiga

Eh, both sides kept the door open to playing in both places. Jesperi stated that he wanted to play in Pori this season, but he's also attending camp. Nothing seems to be written in stone.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Yeah, for some people having your dad as the coach is a major obstacle, but I don't think that's the case with Kotkaniemi. I see more positive things with him having his dad as the coach. For example he'll get favorable playing time, and he'll also be motivated to work hard because slacking off at home and building bad habits won't really be an option

hockeyjockey

Aug 1, 2007
He played for his dad this year already.

Time to get this kid out of daddy's hair. He plays him more, he's favored, he plays him less he's trying to set an example that he isn't biased. It's a lose lose situation for a league he'll end up leaving in 10mo. What's the point. Have him play sheltered minutes in NHL at center to learn the ropes.

Reactions: cphabs

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Even better! Pusscakes needs to come over and play in AHL! Just keep him there for a year or two is all I am asking.

I respect the fact that you stated your position unequivocally.

I don't really have a problem with him playing in the AHL. We got our fancy new coach, cream of the crop, so why not use him? If it were up to me he'd be back in Finland for one more season, though.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
I respect the fact that you stated your position unequivocally.

I don't really have a problem with him playing in the AHL. We got our fancy new coach, cream of the crop, so why not use him? If it were up to me he'd be back in Finland for one more season, though.
Just keep him there is all I ask! How did the AHL turn into the worst development system in the hockey world? Let the kid destroy!

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
its not, AHL is much better

I kinda agree. I think level of competition is higher and the smaller ice surface is better prep for the NHL.

However, as a just-turned-18 year old, I think staying in Liiga is better for Kotka. More familiar and easier as a youngster, far less travel and he’ll still be playing against men. Likely a lock as #1C and given opportunities playing for his dad.

I mean, I am expecting his dad to be a professional and actually play to win and properly develop his son and not coddle and spoon feed him. Not to say he won’t get these chances in the AHL with Bouchard, but it’s tough for a young kid to come into a new country. Now that he knows where he will play, he can just focus on his game and development and mentally prep himself for life in North America.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad