Prospect Info: Welcome to Montréal, Jesperi Kotkaniemi (1st round pick, 3OA 2018 - signed ELC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You mean quite possibly lucky the prior five seasons? Its the forst season in his career he encounters this kind of luck.
playing in the toughest league in the world, other teams adapt to players. What he does this year might be a better representation of what he is. I like his shot but he really needs a better center to play with, a shooter all the way.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Or quite possibly was very lucky the season before.

Possibly, but I think it more likely that 2016-2017 was closer to the real Lehkonen. His underlying numbers were strong last year too and unless he's a Matt Martin caliber shooter, he probably got unlucky last year.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Possibly, but I think it more likely that 2016-2017 was closer to the real Lehkonen. His underlying numbers were strong last year too and unless he's a Matt Martin caliber shooter, he probably got unlucky last year.
I like his compete level, we also have to realise that he is not going to get the time and space in the NHL that he got in Europe. This year will tell the tale if he has figured it all out.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't think it's a bad idea to have him in the AHL. Don't really think there is a big difference. If he really wants to play there, then let him.

Reactions: Redux91

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I like his compete level, we also have to realise that he is not going to get the time and space in the NHL that he got in Europe. This year will tell the tale if he has figured it all out.

I don't think time and space has been the issue with Lehkonen. He's was arguably the best Habs forward at getting shots off in close and the slot. He needs more center help though, he isn't a Pacioretty.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah I remember him being great in the POs but im not certain he improved leaps and bounds from d-1 to d+2. Was there a point to transfer leagues? Obviously injuries and all plagued his career so far and that mightve hurt his progression, but Im not sure there was much of a jump from 13 to 15 aside from the usual growth.

yes he made a pretty big jump from his first SHL season to the next, although I'd have to go back and read what exactly I said about him during both seasons. Just remember being very impressed with him after not being so impressed in his first year. The SHL is a higher level then Liiga, so if you have a choice I would pick SHL over playing in Liiga, although I've seen a lot more SHL then I have Liiga.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
yes he made a pretty big jump from his first SHL season to the next, although I'd have to go back and read what exactly I said about him during both seasons. Just remember being very impressed with him after not being so impressed in his first year. The SHL is a higher level then Liiga, so if you have a choice I would pick SHL over playing in Liiga, although I've seen a lot more SHL then I have Liiga.

I watched him twice in his first SHL year: the first time in Tampere vs Tappara. He was excellent. Then again in Helsinki against IFK. He was not so good. I think this was after his mono infection and everyone was worried because he hadn't progressed, and in fact had shown signs of regression. But the next year was a total success, IIRC, capped off with a downright dominant playoffs.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
446B23E7-73FE-4BEB-983C-38B9E6F82DDF.jpeg

July 6 today, so Happy Birthday to our savior. Have fun with the weight and expectations of the organization on our 3rd overall pick.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006

Little snippet of Jepus (what his family and friends call him btw) tennis skills, cursing, racket tossing and drinking of what is most likely water. From 0:46 to 1:08

Video is from Ässäts annual off-season pairs tennis tournament. Jepus father, Mikael lost in the final.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
People talk about how we will regret not taking Zadina, but I think it's going to be Boqvist, with him in London he's likely going to have a great year and most fans are going to have a hard time seeing Kotkaniemi. Not saying we didn't make the right pick cause I don't know and only time is going to tell who does what from this draft. But when you have such a difficult draft where picks 3 to 12 or so are all so close together that it's very hard to say which one is actually the better of the lot. But if Kotkaniemi struggles, f*** me it's going to be a long, long season around here with the way everything else is going.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
People talk about how we will regret not taking Zadina, but I think it's going to be Boqvist, with him in London he's likely going to have a great year and most fans are going to have a hard time seeing Kotkaniemi. Not saying we didn't make the right pick cause I don't know and only time is going to tell who does what from this draft. But when you have such a difficult draft where picks 3 to 12 or so are all so close together that it's very hard to say which one is actually the better of the lot. But if Kotkaniemi struggles, **** me it's going to be a long, long season around here with the way everything else is going.
Its already been a really long draft year with all the Zadina and Jesperi talk... only way were fine is if he becomes a 1C and Zadina tanks.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
People talk about how we will regret not taking Zadina, but I think it's going to be Boqvist, with him in London he's likely going to have a great year and most fans are going to have a hard time seeing Kotkaniemi. Not saying we didn't make the right pick cause I don't know and only time is going to tell who does what from this draft. But when you have such a difficult draft where picks 3 to 12 or so are all so close together that it's very hard to say which one is actually the better of the lot. But if Kotkaniemi struggles, **** me it's going to be a long, long season around here with the way everything else is going.

I mean, we couldn't make it through the first period of the first development camp scrimmage before the barbs started flying.

Reactions: montreal and Mrb1p

GHJimmy

We made it here.
Mar 30, 2018
I really wished MB acquired another top 10 pick and get Boqvist, kids amazing and fast! Or Dobson, easily replaces Weber in like 2-3 years! I think Boqvist will be future Norris trophy winner no doubt, he has the IQ and skills

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Its already been a really long draft year with all the Zadina and Jesperi talk... only way were fine is if he becomes a 1C and Zadina tanks.

Actually I think it comes down to when MB gets fired, if he's somehow fired say mid-season then I think there would be a noticeable difference on this board. Fans are always going to be pissed since we likely are going to suck for some time and having to watch the leafs/boston in the playoffs over that span while they kick our ass on the reg isn't going to be very fun. But you get rid of MB and many will start to lighten up imo.

We could be a in a really good spot though. If next draft ends up being sick for centers, we suck and land a top 3 pick again, and we could land our #1 center, have Kotka at 2nd and Poehling at 3rd by the time we are ready to be contenders in say 5 years from now. While some will not like seeing Poehling at 3rd or even Kotka at 2, but on a top team it would mean we are in much better shape if say the 3rd OA from '19 was able to step in and be a legit #1 that forced Kotka to be our 2nd C which then forced Poe to 3rd C.

That said we'll still need a big time blueliner. I'm a big, big Brook fan, plus with Mete and Juulsen we clearly have a nice base but we are going to need to get a top blueliner at some point if we are going to contend down the road.

I mean, we couldn't make it through the first period of the first development camp scrimmage before the barbs started flying.

not surprising though, every year we have posters that are pissed cause they didn't take the guy they wanted so we have to hear about it. Plus let's face it, around here these days with what Molson/MB have turned us into, there's not much that management could do that wouldn't be scoffed at or questioned to the rafters.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
The difference is the travel. Its horrendous in the AHL. Karpat is the furthest team from Assat and its barely 5 hours I think.

Might as well get use to it..lol AHL/NHL travel ...
You bring in a top developer named Bouchard...well Kota got a chance..if it was the guy they just fired...no ...back to Finland...If Kota wants to stay in Montreal(Laval) atleast Bouchard knows whats going on...

Bergy leaves the door open for Habs..

"We're going with an open mind," GM Marc Bergevin says about possibility of first-round draft pick starting next season with Canadiens.

“We’re going with an open mind … I don’t know,” Bergevin said about Kotkaniemi’s immediate future, adding that the teenager improved all three days he was on the ice at the Canadiens’ development camp, which wrapped up Sunday in Brossard. “Just the fact that he signed and he’s coming to (the Canadiens’ training) camp he’s closer to the NHL. Where he’s going to be Oct. 1, I can’t tell you. But we see a lot of potential.”

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Bah to Zadina. Only guys I liked more than Kotkaniemi were Boqvist and Wahlstrom. Happy with Kotkaniemi now, but disagree with anyone who says we should have taken Zadina.

Boqvist... high risk and understandably some concerns of his recent concussions that were made public, but damn! His ceiling is so freaking high.

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->