GDT: [Welcome Home Jarome] December 10th - Bruins @ Flames [7:30pm on TSN]

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE!

OUR GDT INCLUDES AN IGINLA TRIBUTE IN POST #2!!

Calgary Flames at Boston Bruins

7:30 pm Mountain Time on TSN
__________ __________ __________ __________ __________ __________ __________

CalgaryFlames_zpse819b922.jpg

Calgary Flames [11-14-4]

Projected Lineup:

as per flames.nhl.com

LEFT WING​
|
CENTER​
|
RIGHT WING​
cammy.jpg
|
stajan.jpg
|
stempniak.jpg
MIKE CAMMALLERI​
|
MATT STAJAN​
|
LEE STEMPNIAK​
Baertschi.jpg
|
Colborne.jpg
|
Hudler.jpg
SVEN BAERTSCHI​
|
JOE COLBORNE​
|
JIRI HUDLER​
Bouma.jpg
|
Backlund.jpg
|
DJones.jpg
LANCE BOUMA​
|
MIKAEL BACKLUND​
|
DAVID JONES​
BJones.jpg
|
Owski.jpg
|
McGrattan.jpg
BLAIR JONES​
|
PAUL BYRON​
|
BRIAN MCGRATTAN​

LEFT DEFENSE​
|
RIGHT DEFENSE​
Russell.jpg
|
Brodie.jpg
KRIS RUSSELL​
|
TJ BRODIE​
Giordano.jpg
|
Smid.jpg
MARK GIORDANO​
|
LADISLAV SMID​
Butler.jpg1
|
OBrien.jpg
CHRIS BUTLER​
|
SHANE O'BRIEN​

STARTER​
|
BACKUP​
Ramo.jpg
|
Berra.jpg
KARRI RAMO​
|
RETO BERRA​

The Bandaid Brigade:

Curtis Glencross - Sprained MCL
TJ Galiardi - Back Spasms [Could return for tonight]
Sean Monahan - Broken Foot
Dennis Wideman - Broken Hand
Brian McGrattan - Sprained Knee

BostonBruins_zpsd792e664.jpg

Boston Bruins [20-8-2]

Projected Lineup:
stolen from the Bruins GDT

BsPaper_zpsfd337c1a.jpg~original

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Place your vWagers here

banner-cgygfg_zps690b80e9.jpg

A huge thanks to Anglesmith for his help and letting me have the honour or starting this GDT

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
WELCOME HOME JAROME!!
even if it's just for a single night

Iginla-1_zps7e9cdea8.jpg

WE WILL NEVER FORGET ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR US

Iginla-2_zpsc3273d4e.jpg

Iginla-3_zpsfa96a182.jpg

Iginla-CampbellCup_zps92b509ff.jpg

Iginla-4_zpsaf88dc9b.jpg

Iginla-5_zpsddc7b472.jpg

Iginla-500_zpsec5417c0.jpg

Iginla-6_zpsbad69597.jpg

Iginla-FarewellPresser_zps90c065a1.jpg

[nhl]231646[/nhl]

TREAT HIM WELL BEANTOWN, HELP HIM BRING THE CUP HOME AND LIGHT UP THE RED MILE

Iginla-last_zps16321979.jpg

RedMile_zps5fc6a5a9.jpg

And some thoughts from some of our Flames posters

Abbotsford Heat:
Until I started compiling photso and videos for Iginla's homecoming GDT I never realized how much him being gone still affected me. I still miss seeing #12 on the ice for us, hopefully he comes back and re-joins us for his swan song season. Being a Flames fan is a big part of who I am, it is not an interest it is a lifestyle and Jarome was a huge part of that for a long time.
Anglesmith:
Jarome Iginla met me once, and he didn't seem at all nervous about it. I kid. This is the guy who I always associated with the perfect hockey player. I was always proud to be a Flames fan no matter what the results, just because we had this guy.
Autograph:
One of the best right-wingers in the game from 2000-2005, and the best leader any franchise in any sport could ask for: durable, consistent, resilient, and productive. A man with tangible leadership qualities both on and off the ice.
Chris Butler:
Even though i wish he would come back, Iggys gone now. He was once a Flame but now he's a Bruin. He's not coming back. That said though, even if he never comes back, even if he one day decides he wants to forget he was ever a Flame, he will be in our hearts. He'll be that memory of what most 90s and early 2000s kids grew up aspired to be. He's the memory of talking about last nights game on the school field and the memory of cheering in the living room with family and friends. Even if he's gone, he's still here in a way.
CoRD:
Still hurts to see our Iggy in another uniform. Will only be acceptable if the Bruins get him his cup ring. Don't let us down Bruins, you have many fans in Calgary behind you.
DBU:
As a latecomer to Flames fandom (2004 playoffs for me), I only knew Iggy for what he was during and after that. Luckily for me, I came to know him as the player he had always been: the definitive power forward, hard working player, and above all, a complete all around class act. I've been lucky enough to see Iginla score goals, fire up his team with fights, and lead them to wins for many years. My fondest memory is a game against Minnesota in 2008, where Iggy scored a hat trick and the crowd started chanting "MVP! MVP!" Iggy may not be a Flame anymore, or perhaps ever again, but he'll always be Calgary's MVP. And while the Flames will always be my #1 team, a part of me will be cheering for Iginla in the playoffs from now on until he wins that Stanley Cup he rightly deserves.
Demetric
Enjoyed all watching him as a Flames and enjoy watching him as a Bruin.
Enjoyed watching him win as a Flame and WILL enjoy watching him loose TO the Flames!
Flames7676:
Jarome Iginla is one of the most classy and respectable players of the NHL today. What he did for the Flames cannot be thanked enough. The man was a leader of the franchise off and on the Ice for over 10 years and he is a big part of why I like the Flames as much as I do today. We will never forget #12
Flames CBA Guy
You know, when the Flames traded Fleury to Colorado back in '99, I was ten and cried about it for a day. It was probably a year or two later that I latched onto Iginla as my favourite Flames player, but to me, Jarome Iginla was more than just my favourite Flame. He became my favourite player to ever hit the ice, above all others, and I would try to emulate my play of hockey after Jarome's. As I grew older though, and began to pay attention beyond the hockey games, I saw Jarome Iginla as a true gentleman off the ice, and a fierce warrior on it. Last season when the Iginla rumours started swirling, I felt defeated, and when he was finally traded - I cried. A lot. It made that moment I cried about the Theo trade a drop in the bucket compared to the water works that came when that trade was announced, and the presser the next day. DBU and I went to go see Iginla before he left, I woke up at 5:30 AM to drive to Calgary from Lethbridge for that, and left disappointed because I feared we wouldn't get access to see Jarome before he left the dome that morning. That was our mess up, but at least we both caught the press conference. Iginla to me is the definition of a world class athlete, and I can't wait to see him lift that cup with the Bruins. It'll hurt because he won't be donning that Flaming C, but it'll feel good to see that cup above his head. Now excuse me, I need to tell my roommate to stop cutting the onions while nobody is in the kitchen.
FlamesFanatic12:
I think that Jarome Iginla's time in Calgary was signifigant, and he is one of the best players to don the Flaming C. The only problem was his inability to get us to a Stanley Cup. I do think he was feeling burnt out in his last few years here, but he is one of the greatest players in the organizations history. Moving on was for the best, but I will always miss Iginla.
I Hate Chris Butler
I think Jarome Iginla is the greatest player to ever wear the Flaming C.
InfinityIggy:
For me Iginla will always be the personification of what it means to be a Flame. A team which has never been afraid to fight hard even when completely out skilled. A team which always conducts itself with class on and off the ice. A team which always sticks up for each other. For me Iginla represented what made NHL hockey unlike any other sport: The leadership, the grit, the skill and the heart.
Janks:
"Iginla will be remembered solely for his drive as a Flame. Whether it was a part of the team, the community or the country, he gave everything he had for the city. My fondest memory was his fight against Lecavalier. It sparked the team, and showed his desire and commitment to the Flames. He will always be a Flame in my mind.

Thank you!"
JurassicTunga:
Iginla was an inspiration through his many years as a Flame. The dedication, passion, leadership, and the kind of person he is. He truly a special person and player. So many amazing memories with him in the Flaming C. Personally, Iginla is my all-time favourite player and it was a such a pleasure to watch him play for my favourite team. We Flames fans were truly lucky to have him.
King Of The North:
Like your first love. He'll forever be remembered a Flame
MarkGio:
Iginla seems to be good at ice hockey
Money Baer
Back in 2001 my peewee hockey team had the opportunity to practice at the Saddle Dome and meet Jarome Iginla. As a young child I was in awe, but I still remember him taking the time to come out on the ice and encourage each child on the team individually. Jarome was more than just a super star in the NHL he was a role model for all Calgarians/Canadians. He showed us how to lead, respect, give, and represent yourself in public. I've been a Flames fan since 1993 which means I had the honour and privilege of watching Iginla grow into one of the best power forwards and ambassador the game has and will ever have. Go get your Stanley Cup, Iggy!
MuffinMerc:
I think Iginla is a pretty cool guy. He Bruins and doesn't afraid of anything.
MVW:
Iggy was the heart of our city. He was a guy that others "wanted" to play with. He is probably the classiest guy in the NHL, there really isn't anything bad you can say about him. He is a class act off the ice, and ferocious competitor on it. Athletes like Iggy are a rare kind of breed in professional sports today. He is a role model for all kids playing hockey today.
Nogger:
Top 5 classiest players to ever play the game. Gave it 100% every game for not only his team but his city. One of the greats.
Noori:
It's unbelievable that Jarome Iginla played at the level he did for the length of time he did. He was consistently among the NHL's best for a full decade. That kind of longevity in a sport like hockey exists so very rarely, but that's only a small part of what makes Iginla so special. His ferocious competitiveness was matched only by his humble nature. He was ready to throw down with the toughest players in the league or make a bone-crushing hit to change the flow of the game. And yet, off the ice, it's hard to imagine Iginla so much as raising his voice at anyone. Spectacular player, and an even better person. Wishing #12 and his Bruins nothing but success!
RaginStajan:
Class act , one of my favorites, made Crosby look good in the Olympics.
Rangediddy
You grow up seeing other teams have players like Yzerman, Sakic, Bourque, Linden, Lemieux... Absolute stand up guys that lead their teams with equal parts passion and skill. Well I have no problem adding Iginla to that list. Not many players get the respect from even rival fan bases, but he is able to. I feel fortunate to be a Flames fan in the Iginla era!
ricci1991:
"I remember him saying that when he left for Pittsburgh. To comprehend that he´s about to put on another uniform was a hard thing to do but I was comforted by the thought that he won´t play a game against us (that season).
So it´s not just a little weird to finally have him playing against us. Still, for this game we shouldn´t remember the past and just play fair hockey. If there is a check to be made, let´s do it!
Though after the game, I will go back to cheering for Iggy to reach his goal and hoist Lord Stanley up in the air!

Thany you, Iggy the ""Rocket""!"
Sean Monahan:
Iginla to me was the definition of a captain; He was confident yet humble, assertive yet soft-spoken, and most importantly unselfish but accountable. Iggy was a legit superstar during his time here yet he never had bad press, involved himself in the community, and loved the Flames more than anybody. Iggy wanted to win here so bad and we all love him for everything he's done to the city of Calgary. Iggy is the pure class on top of being an unreal hockey player. I will always cherish the memories #12 has brought to us!
SJFlames:
I remember that smile of his in every interview, how he was always happy and upbeat. He seemed like a great captain. And I have never heard him say anything bad about anyone. He is a good player, but an even better person.
Skobel24:
Forever a Flame
Stewie Griffin:
"Setting up the play?

Best thing to come out of the ""Young Guns"" Rebuild in the late 90's"
stlflamesfan
Due to living in St. Louis, I was never able to watch Iginla live except maybe 2 games a year, but it was still hard to see him leave. I wish I was able to of seen him more in his prime, but I became a fan around 2008-2009. I feel honored to be lucky enough to be at the game and on the side of the ice he scored the game winning goal against St. Louis to get his 1,000th career point. This will always be my favorite moment of him and easily one of my top 3 hockey moments I have witnessed.
StreakingRed:
#12 embodied everything that was being the perfect Captain. Fearless, classy, loyal. It was a pleasure watching him lead this team and be the face of not only the franchise, but the city of Calgary. I can't wait for the standing ovation tomorrow night. Welcome home, Iggy. Go get your Cup.
Taranis:
I remember back when I was first getting into hockey in 2002 and learning about how tough guys would police the ice and make sure their skilled teammates didn't get harassed. Then I started watching the late games on HNIC with Calgary and was immediately impressed by Iginla. I remember him getting slashed and dropping the gloves right away and not just defending himself but making a statement. Not only would Iginla win us games with his great skill but he would beat your *** if you messed with him. I quickly became not just a fan of Iginla, but a fan of the Calgary Flames.
tfong:
Iggy will always be the Flames captain in my mind. There is nobody else that represents the Flaming C as well as him. I hope he returns to retire as a flame.
TheHudlinator
Growing up in Vancouver I was always a Canucks fan and would have never wanted to cheer for a flame. I remember Iginla's 96 WJC where he was a man playing against boys and I knew I was going to be a fan of his. Once he was traded to the Flames I traded in my Canucks fan card for a Flames one and never looked back. There are many great things that can be said about Iginla and he did as a Flame on and off the ice, but for me I will always remember the idol that inspired me to cheer for a rival.
TherapyforGlencross:
Iginla was a great player and leader, on and off the ice. Personally, I will remember Iginla more for what he did off the ice than what he did on the ice. He was a great charitable person, giving away $1000 (now $2000) for every goal he scored for Winsport. I remember reading that he gave a few Calgarians hotel tickets (for the '02 Olympics) since all of them were sleeping in their car. Craig Button had this to say about Iginla:*"He doesn't carry himself with any attitude or arrogance. He's confident in his abilities. He's self-assured. He's genuine. He's a better person than he is a player, and we all know what kind of player he is."*I remember going to an away games (Flames @ Islanders) and I remember he was the only Flames player to take time and sign autograph's for the little kids. Of course, we cannot forget about the "setting up the play" interview, which I think tops it off for him being a genuine type of guy. As a player, the guy did it all himself; scoring 500 goals,*1000 points, and he definitely had a mean streak, which added character to him. He was a fun player to watch throughout his career; I will most certainly not forget Mr.Iginla!
Tim Erixons Dad:
Iginla was responsible from all the best hockey memories of my childhood. I started watching the Flames around the time he joined the team. The year he won the scoring race in 2002 was the first time a Calgary player was relevant in the NHL from my eyes. Leading the team to the finals in 2004 was the most magical two months of sport in my life, and will probably never be replaced. He did it all while being a role model that my friends and I could look up too, which is more than can be said about many professional athletes. He was so influential to me that I'll probably be cheering for the Bruins to win the Cup this year; now that's real influence!
tmurfin:
Watching a young Iginla tear through the league is what made me a hardcore Flames fan, I just had to watch this guy every night! Score, pass, hit, fight a he gave it his all and wore his heart on his sleeve every night, what's not to love. He is and always be my favorite player and I pray he retires in a flaming C. I'll always wear my Iginla jersey with pride.
Go Iggy!!
Trae:
Quite frankly, Jarome Iginla is the greatest player in franchise history, my favourite NHL player all-time, and my personal idol growing up in this city. I truly hope that he gets his cup and comes back to play in Calgary one day. What he's done for this city is indescribable, and his time here will never be forgotten. Every kid coming into this league should look to Iginla as the epitome of a professional hockey player and strive to be half the athlete he is.
Unlimited Chequing:
The fact that Iggy's return has everyone buzzing speaks volumes of what he means not only to our organization, but to the city. Iggy embodies what it is to be a classy, hardworking, and honest person. He may not be wearing the flaming C, but his impact will still be felt for years to come.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
thanks to everyone who has replied with their thoughts, I will continue to update and add more as you send them to me. If I missed you, please PM me your Iginla thoughts and I will add them.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
All the feels in this GDT. Every single feel imaginable. Awesome work putting it together, guys.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
Well done on the GDT. This one's a beauty.

Still a little surreal to see Iginla in another uniform, but at least he's not on a team I hate. I'd love to see him hoist the Cup this year. Can't wait for puck drop and the much deserved standing ovation #12 will be receiving.

A win for the home side would be nice too. Go Flames!

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Will be at the game, shedding some tears

I hope the Flames do win the game but I am more excited to hear the crowd chant IGGY.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
thanks to everyone who has replied with their thoughts, I will continue to update and add more as you send them to me. If I missed you, please PM me your Iginla thoughts and I will add them.

I just noticed you slotted everyone in alphabetically. I admire the effort.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Great job Abby and Anglesmith! This GDT makes me think I might have goo-like feelings.

A lot of interesting things people had to say about Iginla.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Great job Abby and Anglesmith! This GDT makes me think I might have goo-like feelings.

A lot of interesting things people had to say about Iginla.

I liked your "Iginla seems to be good at hockey" :laugh:

On an actual game note, the Fan 960 said this afternoon that Berra will be starting for the Flames.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I liked your "Iginla seems to be good at hockey" :laugh:

On an actual game note, the Fan 960 said this afternoon that Berra will be starting for the Flames.

Keep it simple, I always say.

I'm confused why Berra is starting. Ramo looks like the better goalie to me now that I've seen them both at their best.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Iggy should follow Halladay and retire as a Flames

The way he is playing that time is as soon as next year :naughty:

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
I just submitted mine to AH. Reading this stirred up all kinds of emotions, I can't wait for this game. Also, great job by Abby and Anglesmith to do this, and thank you guys for putting it together. If vCash could buy beers, I'd be buying you both a bunch of them right now.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I just submitted mine to AH. Reading this stirred up all kinds of emotions, I can't wait for this game. Also, great job by Abby and Anglesmith to do this, and thank you guys for putting it together. If vCash could buy beers, I'd be buying you both a bunch of them right now.
I have updated to include comments from you and IHCB

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Killer GDT and yes Iginla is awesome I have always wanted him on the Bruins.

He will start to consistently light the lamp but the real deal will be when the playoffs start and has David "playoff beast" Krejci as his center and Lucic on his line, I can't wait.

Good luck guys.

Flames7676

Jun 17, 2013
Alberta
Best GDT yet. Good job and thanks for all the effort put into it :) . So much emotion and memories for this game will be exciting to watch tomorrow.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Great GDT.. I personally check every time I see the Bruins are playing on nhl.com and see how he's doing. Still miss the guy! When I go to the game on Thursday I'll be rocking my Iggy jersey (always been a dream of mine to be in the dome wearing my Iggy jersey). Was listening to his interview and interestingly enough, he said basically that he's just visiting and that he was in Calgary in most of the summer and plans on coming back to Calgary eventually so that's a relief, he will retire a flame :)

Hope Iggy scores a hatty.... But the flames win 4-3 :D
GO FLAMES GO

Aug 3, 2010
[nhl]506444[/nhl]

Iginla's pre-game presser from tonight after practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->