Post-Game Talk (GBU): Welcome back Sabres!

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Mittelstadt had an extra gear last night. Going from a college schedule to a pro schedule isn't easy. Eichel was dogging his first year too. Wish he'd hold on to the puck longer instead of trying to force passes to his linemates.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
G: Huge improvement on dangerous scoring chances. Players were taking the puck to the net and the slot.

Sheary-Mitts-Erod were on fire.
Best game of the season by Mitts/Sheary.
Erod on a scoring line instead of a checking line works. Keep them together for more than one game please.

U: There are three better defensemen on this roster sitting for that Scandella-Hunwick mess.

Reactions: Yatzhee

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
Must be Leier for Bailey
Well I guess if you think about it, that trade probably happened because the two GMs were discussing a different trade. I doubt Botterill was aggressively pursuing Leier or anything. The players probably were brought up in conversation as pieces for a larger deal.

Reactions: brian_griffin

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
+ Depth scoring was on point.
+ Sabres looked dangerous most of the game.
+ Dahlin putting up points, leading the rush, making things happen...fun to watch.
+ McCabe welcoming Pierre-Luc Dubois to SlamTown.
+ Jack being silky smooth on everything he did, except slamming into the post.

- I didn't get to watch the whole thing, but I did watch highlights of what I missed. Hunwick wasn't particularly noticeable, but Scandella.... Woof. Looked like he was fly fishing with how often he was inefficiently reaching out with his stick.
- The trickler through Hutton. It happens, but it could have been backbreaking.
- Sabres letting up at the end of the 2nd. No bueno.
- Goalie Interference call on Tage. Quoi?

Reactions: brian_griffin
May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
How on earth Housley identified Dahlin as the reason for the powerplays struggles is baffling. Dahlin allows for a secondary mobile threat on the unit other than Eichel... So now he is replaced by the sinkhole that is Okposo to solve it?

Reactions: Rasmi

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
G: Huge improvement on dangerous scoring chances. Players were taking the puck to the net and the slot.

Sheary-Mitts-Erod were on fire.
Best game of the season by Mitts/Sheary.
Erod on a scoring line instead of a checking line works. Keep them together for more than one game please.

U: There are three better defensemen on this roster sitting for that Scandella-Hunwick mess.

To the bolded......definitely noticeable. More than noticeable, they were cycling to that slot area all game and it was paying dividens in a big way. Would like that to continue. Good eye on that by the way, was waiting to see if others had noticed it.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Nice Win!!!

Oh, and FYI, 2 Philly scouts at tonights game, 2 Buffalo scouts at the Philly game...……………………………..interesting...………...
The Bailey for Leier trade is the first deal involving Buffalo and Philly since we traded them Marty Biron in 2007. Before that it was Svoboda for Garry Galley in 1995.

#mildlyinteresting

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
To the bolded......definitely noticeable. More than noticeable, they were cycling to that slot area all game and it was paying dividens in a big way. Would like that to continue. Good eye on that by the way, was waiting to see if others had noticed it.
Dan and Ray called it out after the third goal, there was all kinds of space in front of the net which is highly unusual. Columbus didn't show up ready to play and we cashed in on it.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
The very ugly

Dahlin only has 17:12 of ice time while Golden Boy Risto has 26:10. He even had 4 minutes less than Bogo. Criminal that Dahlin got so little ice time while Golden Boy is gifted far more.

Dahlin could average 3 points per game over the course of a season, and Idiot Housley would still view Risto as the #1

Dude. The kid is still 18. Let's not Risto him into fatigue-dom. He's also not used to playing this many games in a season. There is literally zero reason to push this kid into the ground right now.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I honestly think that on the first goal Dahlin intentionally passed that puck off the glass to send them in... I've watched it 10 times now, incredible.
I mentioned this during the game - when other D make those plays, they're giveaways that give the Sabres a hair less time than they'd like to get back into position, usually leading to good chances on the rush. When Dahlin makes the exact same type of board clear, it turns into 3 on 1s for his team.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Dude. The kid is still 18. Let's not Risto him into fatigue-dom. He's also not used to playing this many games in a season. There is literally zero reason to push this kid into the ground right now.

he should be around 22 minutes a night.

Also, he should be with Jack on the point of the #1 PP, not Risto. Risto belongs on the #2

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
he should be around 22 minutes a night.

Also, he should be with Jack on the point of the #1 PP, not Risto. Risto belongs on the #2

You can have both of them on the PP1 simply by shelving Okposo. Pilut QBs PP2 ideally. Dahlin can get to ~20 min of ice time just by being included on PP1. That’s right where he should be as of now, IMO.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Great: Dahlin with a Calder level performance. Staying in town during the break and putting the work in looks to helped. Sheary with energy and scoring.

Can Housley think like a chess player now and a few moves ahead ? Finally remove Scandella, have Botts callup Smith to help 3rd line and other proactive changes.

Probably not.

Would like to see our Goalies get there groove back. One sure way to help catch other teams. But Hutton has always been Hot/Cold and Linus is still young.
Dahlin and Mitts went to the Caribbean or something together on vacation during the break btw

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
G: Dahlin
Thompson
Sheary
Mittelstadt
Reinhart

They won despite Housley's genius

B: 4th line not as effective as usual
Ristolainen
Hutton

U: Hunwick- Scandella
PP
So all Housley can do is get the best puck moving d off PP 1 to insert Kyle O.
That worked out well.
Put someone else there or move Risto to PP2. Is inserting KO all he has in his sleeve?
Its not the players its his stale PP set up.
Risto 26min Dahlin 17min.
Why Risto is on PP1 instead of Dahlin if you have to move one D off?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Just putting him on PP1 would have given him about 20min which is not too much. They had a break too...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The Rookie: Great game by Dahlin.

The Enforcer: Nice hit by McCabe. Nice "talentless tip-in" by Reinhart sniping from between the hashmarks in the slot. Nice heads-up play by TT to drive quickly from the point-wall to the open mid-slot for his snipe.

Unforgiven: Risto and McCabe both out for a stroll away from the crease on CBJ G#1. McCabe on the goal where the CBJ had multiple whacks at the puck - put your shoulder into the guy, don't use your stick on the puck. Scandella on his goal-against, the Blue-Jacket on Sheary's goal. MAN UP!!

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I have never watched as good of a player as Eichel in my 25 years of Sabre watching. He is right up there in excitement as Dominik Hasek. I remember Lafontaine playing for the Sabres, he was my first jersey my dad bought for me and I was 6 but at that age I didn't fully understand the game and I was just told Lafontaine is good, I saw him score goals so I agreed with what I was told.

It wasnt til I was about 10 and playing hockey that I started to actually understand the game. Even going back to Briere and Drury were I would have been around 16 they were awesome but neither at the calibre level as Eichel. I remember Pominville putting up 80 points but he was nowhere near as dynamic as Eichel.

Of all the players in my childhood on the Sabres tho I remember being most excited about Hasek and I haven't felt that until Eichel and even Dahlin is getting to that feeling but he has a ways to go but you can just see the talent with this kid.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
The very ugly

Dahlin only has 17:12 of ice time while Golden Boy Risto has 26:10. He even had 4 minutes less than Bogo. Criminal that Dahlin got so little ice time while Golden Boy is gifted far more.

Dahlin could average 3 points per game over the course of a season, and Idiot Housley would still view Risto as the #1
Bogo and Risto PK, Dahlin doesn't, Risto was also on PP1 all night and they took very long shifts. Bogo only play about 1 minute more at ES than Dahlin.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I have never watched as good of a player as Eichel in my 25 years of Sabre watching. He is right up there in excitement as Dominik Hasek. I remember Lafontaine playing for the Sabres, he was my first jersey my dad bought for me and I was 6 but at that age I didn't fully understand the game and I was just told Lafontaine is good, I saw him score goals so I agreed with what I was told.

It wasnt til I was about 10 and playing hockey that I started to actually understand the game. Even going back to Briere and Drury were I would have been around 16 they were awesome but neither at the calibre level as Eichel. I remember Pominville putting up 80 points but he was nowhere near as dynamic as Eichel.

Of all the players in my childhood on the Sabres tho I remember being most excited about Hasek and I haven't felt that until Eichel and even Dahlin is getting to that feeling but he has a ways to go but you can just see the talent with this kid.
too bad you never saw the French Connection in the 70s. back when there was space on the rink to wind up and go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->