Post-Game Talk (GBU): Welcome back Sabres!

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
Signs of life out of the Mitts line with a 2-goal effort. Dahlin and Bogosian did work and Jack's line had plenty of additional opportunities, even with the 2 GF to push things further. Thought Jack did good work as the 1 in the 1-4 late too.

Hutton still makes me nervous. Hunwick-Scandella was a trainwreck.
Me too.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Randoms and in no particular order

- I thought Dahlin looked like Josi tonight. I don’t know what it was, specifically, but this goes towards the top of the list of his best pro games. Forget the numbers - sometimes you just have to look the part to provide people like me some reassurance. He looked the part - fantastic, with efficient use of space in the zone, quick decisions in transition, great shot/pass choices...real fun to watch

- Sheary/Mittelstadt/ERod were fantastic together. All three looked fast, fresh, and in unison. It’s significantly tougher for all five opposing guys to play defense in the NZ or their own zone when a forward trio is buzzing around at that speed; it was fun to watch

- thought Hunwick had a few nice plays early, looked okay out of the gate, but got progressively worse

- Scandella wasn’t good. Still in a mental funk and hesitating too much. Leads to shit decisions

- Hutton did not play well. But that save on Savard was big

- McCabe made a difference in the third

- Bruins lose in SO

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not to absolve Sheary for his 1-goal-in-28 games-since-November-8th string. Just getting something out of him is nice. It clearly helps.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Peaking at the stats...

Dahlin Bogo were dominant
The other 2 pairs got beat, Risto-McCabe badly

Line 1 did Line 1 things (good)
Line 2 dominated
Line 3 got obliterated by the Death Star (Thompson did sneak some shots when he could escape the Pommer-Sobotka-Alderaan death zone)
Line 4 got beat

Improvement! We had 2 lines!
That checks out with the eye test. That Sobotka-TT-JP line played some surreally low event hockey against CBJ’s bottom line and got caved in when they got stuck out there against skill.

I can’t tell, on a night to night basis, if Dahlin is that f***ing special or if be’s just the first competent Dman the Sabres have had since Brian Campbell.

Reactions: Chainshot

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Randoms and in no particular order

- I thought Dahlin looked like Josi tonight. I don’t know what it was, specifically, but this goes towards the top of the list of his best pro games. Forget the numbers - sometimes you just have to look the part to provide people like me some reassurance. He looked the part - fantastic, with efficient use of space in the zone, quick decisions in transition, great shot/pass choices...real fun to watch

- Sheary/Mittelstadt/ERod were fantastic together. All three looked fast, fresh, and in unison. It’s significantly tougher for all five opposing guys to play defense in the NZ or their own zone when a forward trio is buzzing around at that speed; it was fun to watch

- thought Hunwick had a few nice plays early, looked okay out of the gate, but got progressively worse

- Scandella wasn’t good. Still in a mental funk and hesitating too much. Leads to **** decisions

- Hutton did not play well. But that save on Savard was big

- McCabe made a difference in the third

- Bruins lose in SO

They played with speed like they were doing during the streak...fast and to the net

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
The big story of this game should be Mittlestadt, Dahlin, (and Thompson a bit) coming flying out of this break. Mitts and Dahlin were very very good all night.

This game does tell a story about Thompson, but...not that one.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
They played with speed like they were doing during the streak...fast and to the net
Yep. Second period wasn’t great for the team as a whole, but the second line did a great job all night and never stopped moving, and the team played with a lot more speed than they did the 15 games that preceded the ASG.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Anyone check the rulebook to confirm the win counts with Pilut scratched? If the answer is no then that's my "bad."

Reactions: beerme1

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That checks out with the eye test. That Sobotka-TT-JP line played some surreally low event hockey against CBJ’s bottom line and got caved in when they got stuck out there against skill.

I can’t tell, on a night to night basis, if Dahlin is that ****ing special or if be’s just the first competent Dman the Sabres have had since Brian Campbell.

He's that special.

Reactions: truthbluth

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Anyone check the rulebook to confirm the win counts with Pilut scratched? If the answer is no then that's my "bad."
Scandella/Hunnwick were trash and nearly cost us the game. Phil dodged a bullet. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes and does better.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hunwick isnt Tennyson, he's had some good run these past few years, its Scandella thats really trouble. Theres gotta be something goin on, but if its 'injury' I'd really wish they'd shut him down. Guy is not right, even if he is just a 5/6 on his best days

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
G:

Dahlin-Bogosian. Mostly Dahlin. But gotdam if Bogosian has finally found his niche in the NHL as the correct veteran compliment to Dahlin, effing rights let's go.

If the Sabres can get positive contributions from ERod-Mitts-Sheary like they did tonight, they can compete for the playoffs (not saying they'll make it, but they can compete with the bubble teams). The other two lines are canon fodder and play like it. But, that could be okay - if ERod-Mitts-Sheary are able to control play and produce points, then there's enough skill in that "top-6" to compete for a wild-card spot as long as the canon fodder does its job.

B:

The rest of the defense...cannot have 4 guys getting destroyed like this on a nightly basis.

Reactions: oxydendrum

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I really want to see him develop speed and accuracy on his shot. We could see 30-40 out of him with how easily he gets into dangerous territory but until the shot gets more dangerous even average goalies are going to keep snapping them up.
Absolutely will happen when he gets stronger.I think at 20 he scores 20 plus goals and will be a beast defensively

Reactions: Reddawg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad