News Article: Welcome back, Mr. Crosby

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I posted this on the main board when the western conference peeps came in with their usual silliness about how Crosby would not score 20 points a season if he played in the big bad west. As I did all the work for it, I thought may as well post it here too. God knows why I took the time, but here are the Career road stats for Crosby against the west. NOTE THAT THESE ARE ONLY AWAY GAMES. He is of course a bit higher against the western teams at home. And these stats do not include the Coyotes for some reason, or at least I could not find them, and Sid always goes off on them big time so these stats are low. Now at least career wise if Sid and the Pens were in the west the stats show he would be do at least as well if not better:

At AA Center (Dallas) 2 games played, 0 goals, 2 assists, 2 points
At Xcel Energy Center (Minnesota) 2 games played, 3 goals, 4 assists, 7 points
At Nationwide Arena (CBJ) 4 games played, 2 goals, 4 assists, 6 points
At Staples Center (LAK) 2 games played, 0 goals, 3 assists, 3 points
At Pepsi Center (Avs) 2 games played, 3 goals, 1 assists, 4 points
At GEC (Nashville) 3 games played, 2 goals, 4 assists, 6 points
At General Motors Pl (Van) 2 games played, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points
At United Center (Chicago) 1 games played, 0 goals, 1 assists, 1 points
At Savvis Center (StL) 3 games played, 0 goals, 2 assists, 2 points
At Pond in Anahiem 3 games played, 2 goals, 1 assists, 3 points
At HP Pav. – SJ 3 games played, 0 goals, 1 assists, 1 points
At Skyreach Center (Oilers) 2 games played, 0 goals, 3 assists, 3 points
At Joe Louis Arena (Detroit) 3 games played, 1 goals, 3 assists, 4 points
At Clgry Saddle dome 2 games played, 1 goals, 0 assists, 1 points

34 games played. 14 goals, 29 assists, 43 points. 1.27 points a game, which prorates to be a 104 points over an 82 games season. All on the road.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3737/situational;_ylt=AruQCJ4RPTHOpFEs0I4NBWJivLYF?year=career

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Crosby is up to 1.422 points/game in his career. 4th all-time. Bossy is 3rd at 1.497 and I feel that Crosby will eclipse that (at least temporarily) in his career at some point. We could see some 150+ seasons in the near future. This current season he is producing at a 142 point pace (over 82 games).

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Even when he's healthy he can't get a full season's worth of games under his belt. God willing we will finally see that next year.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I posted this on the main board when the western conference peeps came in with their usual silliness about how Crosby would not score 20 points a season if he played in the big bad west. As I did all the work for it, I thought may as well post it here too. God knows why I took the time, but here are the Career road stats for Crosby against the west. NOTE THAT THESE ARE ONLY AWAY GAMES. He is of course a bit higher against the western teams at home. And these stats do not include the Coyotes for some reason, or at least I could not find them, and Sid always goes off on them big time so these stats are low. Now at least career wise if Sid and the Pens were in the west the stats show he would be do at least as well if not better:

At AA Center (Dallas) 2 games played, 0 goals, 2 assists, 2 points
At Xcel Energy Center (Minnesota) 2 games played, 3 goals, 4 assists, 7 points
At Nationwide Arena (CBJ) 4 games played, 2 goals, 4 assists, 6 points
At Staples Center (LAK) 2 games played, 0 goals, 3 assists, 3 points
At Pepsi Center (Avs) 2 games played, 3 goals, 1 assists, 4 points
At GEC (Nashville) 3 games played, 2 goals, 4 assists, 6 points
At General Motors Pl (Van) 2 games played, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points
At United Center (Chicago) 1 games played, 0 goals, 1 assists, 1 points
At Savvis Center (StL) 3 games played, 0 goals, 2 assists, 2 points
At Pond in Anahiem 3 games played, 2 goals, 1 assists, 3 points
At HP Pav. – SJ 3 games played, 0 goals, 1 assists, 1 points
At Skyreach Center (Oilers) 2 games played, 0 goals, 3 assists, 3 points
At Joe Louis Arena (Detroit) 3 games played, 1 goals, 3 assists, 4 points
At Clgry Saddle dome 2 games played, 1 goals, 0 assists, 1 points

34 games played. 14 goals, 29 assists, 43 points. 1.27 points a game, which prorates to be a 104 points over an 82 games season. All on the road.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3737/situational;_ylt=AruQCJ4RPTHOpFEs0I4NBWJivLYF?year=career

It blows my mind how insecure Western Conference fans are. You literally cannot have a discussion on the main board about a player or team in the East who is doing particularly well without a number of them popping in to say how much worse that player/team would be doing in the AMAZING WESTERN CONFERENCE.

Yes, the West tends to play tighter defense. They also don't have nearly the offensively skilled players that the East has. Why is the former just assumed to be the only factor of any importance and the latter constantly overlooked or minimized? It's a fact that Crosby has played exceedingly well against the West in his career. To say that he'd only have "half" the points he has now - yes, someone actually said that - is to be the most insecure and odious type of homer.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
TR mentioned it on the trade board. Hockey needs to see Kunitz-Sid-Iggy. You're talking about a guy who's produced at a 130+ pt pace for quite some time now and replacing his RW in Pascal Dupuis with an elite player. Let alone what Iggy's one timer would do for our PP.

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
It blows my mind how insecure Western Conference fans are. You literally cannot have a discussion on the main board about a player or team in the East who is doing particularly well without a number of them popping in to say how much worse that player/team would be doing in the AMAZING WESTERN CONFERENCE.

Yes, the West tends to play tighter defense. They also don't have nearly the offensively skilled players that the East has. Why is the former just assumed to be the only factor of any importance and the latter constantly overlooked or minimized? It's a fact that Crosby has played exceedingly well against the West in his career. To say that he'd only have "half" the points he has now - yes, someone actually said that - is to be the most insecure and odious type of homer.

As someone who was born and grew up on the west coast watching mostly western conference games, allow me to apologize for my brethren. The idea that Crosby wouldn't light up the west is asinine.

With that said, allow me to explain the western conference complex. What annoys fans out west the most is undoubtedly the eastern-biased media. So many of the broadcasts originate out east, and it's patently obvious that many of the commentators/analysts spend practically no time whatsoever watching the western conference. It's really quite pathetic. They peruse stat sheets and watch the highlight reels, but they rarely watch games from 10PM - 1AM on their watch. As a result, it was/is common for the media to overlook/underrate/disregard entirely performances from western teams and more particularly western players. The Sedins continue to exist in a bizarre bubble: if they were playing in the eastern conference, they would undoubtedly be respected as superstars. Heck, they won back-to-back Art Ross trophies, not to mention carrying the weight of a franchise in a pressure cooker of a market for several years. /end Sedin rant.

The eastern-centric media has also historically been evident with regards to the awards. That's not to say that the Lidstroms and Sakics of the league didn't get their praise in their day, but it is to say that the recognition was harder to come by and that anybody other than superstars out west tends to be overshadowed by their equivalent player in the east.

Luckily, with improved media coverage/accessibility, some of these things are not as pronounced as they once where. With that said, I fully empathize with those out west that are irked by the eastern-centricity to hockey coverage. Obviously, when the argument turns to "how much worse would Crosby be if he played in the west," that crowd has taken it too far.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Ovechkin has always been a much better skater than Stamkos.

Huh? Ovechkin has one of the choppiest strides you'll ever see among skill forwards. Unless he's changed his skating a lot in the last 2 years (when I haven't watched him much), he's pretty much a straight-line-full-speed skater. Everything I've seen so far in Stamkos' career suggests that he is a better all-around skater than Ovechkin (and probably just as fast if not faster). His stride is a little bow-legged / wide, but in terms of agility and the rest I think he's better than Ovechkin.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
As someone who was born and grew up on the west coast watching mostly western conference games, allow me to apologize for my brethren. The idea that Crosby wouldn't light up the west is asinine.

With that said, allow me to explain the western conference complex. What annoys fans out west the most is undoubtedly the eastern-biased media. So many of the broadcasts originate out east, and it's patently obvious that many of the commentators/analysts spend practically no time whatsoever watching the western conference. It's really quite pathetic. They peruse stat sheets and watch the highlight reels, but they rarely watch games from 10PM - 1AM on their watch. As a result, it was/is common for the media to overlook/underrate/disregard entirely performances from western teams and more particularly western players. The Sedins continue to exist in a bizarre bubble: if they were playing in the eastern conference, they would undoubtedly be respected as superstars. Heck, they won back-to-back Art Ross trophies, not to mention carrying the weight of a franchise in a pressure cooker of a market for several years. /end Sedin rant.

The eastern-centric media has also historically been evident with regards to the awards. That's not to say that the Lidstroms and Sakics of the league didn't get their praise in their day, but it is to say that the recognition was harder to come by and that anybody other than superstars out west tends to be overshadowed by their equivalent player in the east.

Luckily, with improved media coverage/accessibility, some of these things are not as pronounced as they once where. With that said, I fully empathize with those out west that are irked by the eastern-centricity to hockey coverage. Obviously, when the argument turns to "how much worse would Crosby be if he played in the west," that crowd has taken it too far.

Oh, it's totally understandable that West fans would be peeved at the lack of coverage they get. It's a valid complaint. The thing is that when they turn up in every thread to try to disparage the East it just comes off as more pathetic/inferiority complex-ish than anything else.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Isn't it kind of a sign of a little less parity/skill in the West that a team just went 24 games without a regulation loss playing within its own conference?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad