Post-Game Talk: welcome back 34!! leafs win!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
As nice as that sounds, I'd prefer not playing one of these more physical teams in the 1st round.
They're not really the big bad Bruins anymore. They're actually built on skill and speed now. Marchand is a pest and Chara+ McQuaid are ogres but other than that they're no longer a really physical team.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
They're not really the big bad Bruins anymore. They're actually built on skill and speed now. Marchand is a pest and Chara+ McQuaid are ogres but other than that they're no longer a really physical team.
Marchand doesn't even hit or get penalties anymore

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think he does and he can rush the puck well, but decent is not good enough for this team. You may be quick to say "anything is better than Polak or Carrick" but really, he's not.

Still would be better off replacing Borgman with Marincin if you wanted a more serious upgrade on the defense.

Did you just say Marincin is a defensive upgrade on Borgman or is it just a PK upgrade you mean?

Because I'd agree with the last part but the first part would get some major disagreement from me

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
we NEED the bruins in the first round, they can't handle our speed at all. That being said, we are about 2 months premature in talking about matchups, theres a lot of season left to play. I'd like to see tampa go vs a team like the islanders who always give top seeds a tough go.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
we NEED the bruins in the first round, they can't handle our speed at all. That being said, we are about 2 months premature in talking about matchups, theres a lot of season left to play. I'd like to see tampa go vs a team like the islanders who always give top seeds a tough go.
I agree would love a rematch against the bruins in the first round just hoping we are slotted in that 2 spot in the atlantic, would drive them nuts with our speed.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Right now Babcock only has 2 lines he trusts defensively. Kadri line and Matthews line.
Its too bad Babcock needs to shelter the 3rd line with a centre that has the most experience, who should be better defensively but isnt.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
What's the deal with Holl?

I've watched him a few times and he looks decent.

He's a big RHD which is nice.

Can he PK?

Honestly I was impressed during preseason when watching Holl. Only 1 poster answered you saying he wasn’t better than Carrick or Polak, but if we ever had to bring up a RD I’d hope Holl would get a chance just to see what he could do. Haven’t watched him on the Marlies tho.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Right now Babcock only has 2 lines he trusts defensively. Kadri line and Matthews line.
Its too bad Babcock needs to shelter the 3rd line with a centre that has the most experience, who should be better defensively but isnt.

As long as Kadri and Matthews are healthy I don’t see any issues with this. Other teams will play their best lines vs those 2, leaving inferior lines to go up against the Bozak line...and the Bozak line SHOULD feast on that type of competition. Few teams out there have 3 good offensive and defensive lines.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Hyman Matthews Brown
Marleau Nylander Marner
Komarov Kadri Kapanen
JVR Bozak Leivo

I don't care about the ups and downs of the regular season. Good luck to the rest of the league holding down this offence if we are healthy in the playoffs.

Better wingers for Matthews please.

JVR Matthews Marner - primary scoring
Hyman Kadri Brown -Shut down/checking
Marleau Nylander Kapanen-Secondary scoring
Komarov Bozak Leivo- 4th line

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
You're right. I've caught quite a few of their games and their success is entirely predicated on speed and puck moving ability. They have a lot of nimble and quick puck handlers (e.g. Spooner, Heinen, Bjork, Pasta, Vatrano, etc.) who are for the most part poor man's versions of what the Leafs have up front.

Luckily for the Leafs (if they face off), their most physical players are on a hard downswing (e.g. Chara, McQuaid, Backes). Watching Chara against the Blue Jackets in their last meeting was the most exposed i've seen him in his career. His first step/lateral movement has become so bad he either gets beaten cleanly wide or blows a tire completely.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
It was pretty frustrating to watch an extended 5v3 without Matthews, Nylander and Marner.

I kept hoping the Rangers would clear the puck so they would change the lines. Of course the guys on the ice just kept passing it around the perimeter for no real threat.

Reactions: Mad hatter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad