Weirdest Game Glitch You Experienced

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Weak.

BotW has next to zero glitches. Witcher 3 had some at release but nothing to the level if Skyrim.

People make far too many excuses for Bethesda and my theory is that it is because they like the games despite being well aware of how janky and shallow they are.

No one was saying "well this just means there are so many possibilities!!" when New Vegas was a buggy mess on release, in fact people tend to say bugs were one of the main reasons as to why they didn't like it!

To be fair BotW and Witcher 3 are much more recent games. If you compare Bethesda against the competition going back to Morrowind, pretty much all the games attempting this genre are bug ridding while Bethesda is probably the best of the lot.

But yeah it really is shitty how with all the Skyrim re-releases they've done they haven't bothered to fix even some of the most basic bugs. For how much money people have funnelled into that game we deserve something that's largely bug free and has all the corners that were previously cut (ex: the civil war thing) fully fleshed out.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Speaking of Morrowind, I remember you could steal in front of anyone as long as you jumped and stole the item while in the air

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I always find the Bethesda glitch complaints funny. I’ve literally got thousands of hours into their games over the years and have never experienced a single glitch

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I always find the Bethesda glitch complaints funny. I’ve literally got thousands of hours into their games over the years and have never experienced a single glitch

That's been similar to my experience. I don't deny that others have experienced them, but I suspect that the issue is overstated because of the massive popularity of the games. More people playing means more people encountering the same bugs and glitches and sharing stories, videos and screenshots of them, and more people latching onto them as excuses to criticize a game that's popular with everyone else. I honestly wonder if those who knock Bethesda have actually personally encountered tons of bugs and glitches in their games or if their assessments are largely based on the experiences of others. I also think that some people tend to over-react. I've probably encountered bugs and glitches in Bethesda games, but just had a quick laugh and carried on and forgot about them because I saw no need to make a big deal about them.

Screwing with the game in order to steal **** is a time honored tradition in Bethesda games.

That's a good example of what I was saying earlier. Open world RPGs tend to have more opportunities for unexpected behavior because their openness makes it very hard for the developers to anticipate everything that can possibly happen or that the gamer will try to do. Putting pots on NPCs' heads in order to steal items in front of them actually isn't even a glitch. It's the systems working as they're intended. Whether NPCs catch you is based on line of sight and pots over their heads block their sight. What might be more of a glitch would be if the NPC could still see you and catch you stealing through the pot. Bethesda's only "fault," if you can call it one, is not adding extra code, animation and sound to have the NPC shake the pot off of his head and maybe scold you for doing so, but that's a bit of extra work for something that few people might try doing. They could've maybe made it so that you couldn't put items on NPCs' heads, but that would've hurt the sandbox-ness. Not having many artificial limits and testing the systems, even to the point of exploiting them, is part of the fun of these games.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Nuge

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Worst glitch I have ever experienced was in DayZ with a buddy of mine. We spent two weeks gearing up, had all of the end game gear (which was hard to get at the time without hacking)...then while walking over a steep hill my friend touched a tree. The tree insta-killed him.

Typically you can just walk back to your corpse and loot the dead body, which he attempted to do while I protected it, but the body ended up in a location that was inaccessible so everything was lost. Days and hours upon hours of work put into an unforgiving game was ended because he walked into one of the 16477474737728272 trees on the map.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Last night, I was playing STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and, in the middle of a firefight, I saw something weird in the distance, about six stories in the air. After a few seconds of staring at it, I realized that it was an NPC body spinning around and around in one spot, parallel to the ground. Just as I realized that, there was a flash of light and it disappeared. This occurred during a lightning storm, and the game does seem to have a simple weather system, so I'm guessing that something glitched with that, though the fact that the body disappeared in a flash of light is a little harder to explain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad