Weird game in Anaheim

Discussion in 'HFNHL Talk' started by Hossa, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Hossa

Hossa Registered User

Student of the Game
    Home Page:
    So what happened last night in Anaheim. The Ducks and my Canucks tie in shots, yet the score is 7-1 quackers?

Also, the following struck me as odd:

Attendance: 7674
    Net Profit: $506,484.00

Now, I know I'm not exactly the best draw in the league, but there are some OHL teams that average more than that in attendance. It's not like this was a Raptors/Hawks game or something, at least one of the teams was good.

Strange days...

2. Dryden

Dryden Registered User

his ticket prices are way too high...thus no one wants to go to the games

3. Ohio Jones

Ohio Jones Game on...

That said, attendance does seem to be down around the league... we'll know better after a couple of weeks whether there's substance to the trend. I know my Jackets may have to consider dorpping ticket prices a bit (currently $38). Or maybe just winning a few games for a change... :help:

4. kasper11

kasper11 Registered User

Home Page:
    I would guess the $55 ticket price is keeping most fans away. Same thing seems to be happening in Ottawa where the tickets are $75 per.

5. Mandaou

Mandaou Registered User

Home Page:
    Attendance

I've been informally monitoring attendance for all the games and they are low. At this rate, even with the cap, we'll have trouble with staying cash flow positive. Even after my team was undefeated after two games and I dropped my ticket prices, the crowd was small.

Not all teams have 3-5 80 plus players on their rosters to help with attendance and certainly most .500 teams or teams still in the playoff race in the NHL pre and post lockout will draw over 14,000 fans.

6. HFNHL Commish

HFNHL Commish Registered User

Accountant
    Home Page:
    I dropped the ticket price today. ;)

Last season, I fared quite well and tickets were priced fairly high for most of the year. Figured I'd play one game with the tickets at $55, just to see what would happen. Certainly, after losing a highly rated player like Al MacInnis, I expected a drop in attendance. But 7,674??? :eek:

In general, I have noticed the same trend that Dr. Jones has. Maybe fans are reacting to the lockout?

7. MatthewFlames

MatthewFlames Registered User

General Manager, Calgary Flamettes
    hmmmm... well let's see tonight if the Flames attendence is up. I raised ticket prices to 40 (I mean, to go to a real Flames game the average is nearly 70) and attendence dropped from a 2003/4 average of 18 thou to 10. At that rate, I am down 150K per game from last season. If the attendence is down I will be lowering prices back down. Does anyone know how the sim calculates attendence etc?

8. Ohio Jones

Ohio Jones Game on...

My professional name... *tips the Commish* ;)

We don't know the precise equation, but factors include the records (including streaks) of the teams competing, and the number of star-power draws (players rated 80+). I have 3 80+ players on my team in Modano, Roenick and Brodeur (plus a couple of 79-rated players...*grumble grumble*), while my opponent, Edmonton, had 1 (Nabokov). Our records, however, were not that impressive, as both teams were .500 heading into the game (W-L for EDM, OTL for me). Anecdotally, winning streaks in the past have seemed to make a surprisingly large difference...

9. Well I hope it's only the ticket prices b/c the revenue setting was turned up a notch.
    Douglas is right though streaks and overall winning percentage have traditionally played a big roll in attendance figures and so we'll have a better feel for how the numbers are going to play out by game 10 or so.

It should be noted that in the past we were using version 1.0 of the sim and now are on 1.3 so only time will tell if the financial model behaves any differently for this version.

10. Wildman

Wildman Registered User

Accountant
    Home Page:

Drew, The revenue setting is same as last season as we are still getting 20% of the ticket price for concession. :dunno:

11. MatthewFlames

MatthewFlames Registered User

General Manager, Calgary Flamettes
    Hmm.. so I lowered ticket prices by 5 dollars per game... and what did that do? Only make 2000 fewer people show up to the game. Of course, the 1-5 record may have something to do with that.

12. Dr.Sens(e)

Dr.Sens(e) Registered User

Home Page:
    Sorry Claudio, but most teams are making money (19 of them). And most of the teams losing money are only losing a little bit. When you factor in endorsements, playoff revenue and the cap in general, cash is only going to be a problem for a couple of teams, and probably fewer than in past seasons.

A lot of teams have low attendance because their ticket prices are high, but the average revenue is still high enough. There are only a couple of teams with cash flow issues, and in fact, many of the teams who in past have watched their cash flow drop, have turned it around this year.

The maddening thing is figuring out the attendance formula.

I can tell you it isn't as simple as record, winning streak and 80+ players for your team and the opponent. The Blues sold-out their home opener against Edmonton, but then sold well below capacity a few games later when the team was 4-0 and playing Anaheim, who had more 80+ players than Edmonton. There has to be some kind of random factor involved, although the above three factors may be the most important.

13. Donga

Donga Registered User

Home Page:
    This is becoming more interesting. I can remember a discussion at the end of last season saying that all the ticket prices were too low. Now they are too high. Damn it, maybe i should have opted to go with a $10 increase not a $25 one. :shakehead

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.