Weinrich to take Hatchers place on US squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yikes...the US defense is starting to look as bad as the Slovaks and Germans

guitaraholic*

you guys vastly underrate Weinrich. Hatcher's more physical play doesn't make up for his total lack of puck skills. He's a brutally slow player as well. Weinrich can be just as effective, actually more effective, at many critical aspects of the game than Hatcher ever has been, despite the hype.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
19bruins19 said:

you can roll your eyes but it goes back to my ratings comment.

Sure a larger % of viewers were watching the finals in Canada. But in the end it was Still Just 1 million more people than the US. For a country who views hockey as an afterthought, they arent that far behind a country who does nothing but lives hockey.

Geki

Jul 2, 2003
Visit site
mahovlich said:
It's the percentage of viewers, not the overall numbers that tell the actual :) :) story.

Not to the advertisers... Who make all of the broadcasts possible in the first place.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
mahovlich said:
I would'nt say i underestimate Weinrich.I recognize and acknowledge his strentghs and he has some good ones.He skates well and is pretty big and can move the puck but he is not overly physical and not a punishing bodychecker who is usually assigned to cover the top guys on the opposing team, Hatcher is.Yes, Hatcher is not a great skater, never was, but he skates well enough to get the job done(well, this year he looked awfully slow,I imagine that was because of the injuries and long layoff he had) but Hatcher loves to butt heads and is huge and can be extremely intimidating and difficult to play against when he is in top form.
That is why the U.S managment team picked him for this team and not Weinrich.If you think Weinrich is being underestimated then the U.S management was underestimating him also but i assume they have bright enough hockey minds to know what they are doing.There is a reason Hatcher was picked for this team and not Weinrich to begin with,namely, the reasons i just mentioned.Weinrich may play well for you and surprise, he's certainly not a bum by any means, but world class defenseman?Not really,but Hatcher has been, one bad year shouldnt change people's opinion of that.Assuming Hatcher would be rejuvenated and in top form for the tournament then his departure is a big loss, no question.Weinrich may play fine but won't fill his shoes.It's a net loss.The U.S forwards are really going to have to be dedicated to pulling their weight defensively as this d-corp is going to need their support a lot.On the positive side, the States do have the forwards who can handle this assignment if they totally commit to it.We'll find out very quickly once the games begin.

I don't mind Weinrich being named. He's an able top four defenseman who skates and moves the puck well, and virtually 100% of the time makes the right decision with the puck. He's a safety valve. He's not a beast like Hatcher is, but than again, few are. The U.S. has a bunch of reliable two-way players at forward, so as long as those guys play to their ability, team defense won't be a problem.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hasbro said:
I would rather someone like Liles or Orpick would have got that slot instead of another dinosaur.

Did you get a chance to see Weinrich last year? He was great. People put too much stock in age, especially in a tournament like this. This isn't the regular season people, it's a two week event!!!! Guys like Liles and Orpik will get their day in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->