Weinhandl or Sejna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Stich said:
That's fine if you don't like Savage... I'm not a big fan of his either. What I don't understand is why you're having trouble understanding why a GM whose job is on the line would go with a veteran that's a consistant 20 goal scorer over a guy with 20 mediocre games under his belt.

The guy with 20 mediocre games under his belt got more than 50 in the AHL and played well at the end of the season.Bryan Savage use to score 15 of his 20 goals before the end of october... very inconsistant and not the kind of guy that will bring energy to a club. I can understand he choose Savage over Sejna. However, I wonder why Sejna is now THE guy he is looking for.... After all, Sejna is still the player you has 20 mediocre games under his belt.

By the way, as I said, I am not absolutely interested in saying that Weinhandl is better... I only wanted by bringing the discussion here to see what other people tought of those two. I have to admit however that I don't understand why Sejna, at 24, and with all what was said on him last summer, didn't come back in the NHL at the end of last season with the supposely good AHL season ending he got. Anyway, you convinced me to pick him with my last pick again this year in my hockey pool! ;-)

tmangos

Jul 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Kafka said:
... Anyway, you convinced me to pick him with my last pick again this year in my hockey pool! ;-)
Kafka, thank you for bringing attention to this thread by bringing it on this board. Merci, mon ami. I was the one who posed the original question on the Fantasy board:
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=99574
After reading the many excellent comments, I too decided to take a chance on Sejna with my last pick. Again, my league is a keeper league, and in my case, whoever I'd pick, I would not really need to produce points this year (my starters were pretty well set), but in the future. Based on that, I chose Sejna.
Oh and by the way, Kafka, since we both took Sejna, now you have another Leaf fan agreeing with you!! ;)

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Sejna, I've only read reports and he definitely has potential.

Weinhandl is in the bigs already, and has shown potential to be good. And he's 2 yrs. younger.

TBH, I'd consider either in a keeper pool, and wouldn't lose sleep.

regdunlap7

Sep 28, 2003
lowell, ma
Visit site
isle-ike-it-alot said:
Sejna, I've only read reports and he definitely has potential.

Weinhandl is in the bigs already, and has shown potential to be good. And he's 2 yrs. younger.

TBH, I'd consider either in a keeper pool, and wouldn't lose sleep.

Weinhandl is definitely the more proven guy and he IS younger, but he's not 2 years younger. It's more like 10 mos- Sejana was born in Oct of 1979 and Weinhandl was born in June 1980.

guitaraholic*

I agree with the Salvador Dali fan with the strange username. Pick either because at this point it's a toss up, both have potential to succeed and fail nearly equally. The age difference doesn't amount to anything, it's less than a year.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
By the way, is Sejna out of the Calder trophy this season only cause he played one game two years ago? Cause one of the rule for eligibility is that a player who played at least six games or less during TWO seasons is eligible.... then, only cause he played that one game against Colorado means he is not eligible for the Calder trophy next season. How sad.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Puckhead said:
No offense intended, but if you feel that "Wienie" has 1st line potential then the Isles are in a lot more trouble than even I thought. He is a decent player who can chip in some offense. He is quite good defensively, and I feel that he could possibly see time on the 2nd line, but needs more experience, and therefore I feel the 3rd line is where he should be right now. Sejna, does have more offensive upside, but unfortunately for the Blues, he hasn't figured out where that is at this time. He will be on the top 2 lines, but not on merit, only because there is no-one else. If you have to choose one, would probably go with Sejna simply because he will be given every opportunity to shine.

Weinhandl has first line potential. He has speed, creativity, an excellent wrist shot, willingness to play in traffic, hockey smarts, etc. The only thing that is limiting him right now is his minutes and (more importantly) his size. He needs at least 10-15 pounds on him to be 1st line material in the ice. He also continues to progress, as evidenced by his defensive play which has improved since his first stint on the Island. He's also had success with Yashin, so if MM is going with the "finding the answer in-house" he should look at putting Mattias on Alexei's line as the experiments with Parrish two years ago was a miserable failure.

regdunlap7

Sep 28, 2003
lowell, ma
Visit site
I've seen them both in person a couple of times, and probably on tv once or twice each too, so I don't have a great feel for their games. But my recollection is that Sejna is the better skater while Weinhandl is better at finishing. Anyone who has seen both agree or is my memory faulty?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
regdunlap7 said:
I've seen them both in person a couple of times, and probably on tv once or twice each too, so I don't have a great feel for their games. But my recollection is that Sejna is the better skater while Weinhandl is better at finishing. Anyone who has seen both agree or is my memory faulty?

Sejna is well known for his shot and quick release, although it seemed he was more of a set-up man in Worcester. But that's just looking at stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad