Weight training

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by tarheelhockey, Jan 6, 2011.

1. tarheelhockey

tarheelhockey Highest Boss

Apologies if there's already a thread on this, I looked back 5 pages and didn't see one.

I've recently started weight training at a local gym and am wondering what would be the best strategy for a hockey player. So far I am just getting into general shape and trying to find my limits, but before too long I want to get into a routine that makes sense.

I've heard that hip abduction is a good one for skaters, and that reps are more important than max. Anything else you guys can offer?

2. canuck44

canuck44 Registered User

Not exactly recommending an exercise here but make sure you keep doing explosive training to prevent getting too slow.

3. predfan24

predfan24 Registered User

I know when people think of home workouts, they automatically think of garbage workout videos like Richard Simmonds etc. but I stopped going to the gym a few months ago and just recently completed P90x and am now doing a hybrid schedule of P90x and Insanity and I get 10X better workouts with these programs than I ever did at the gym. You get a total body workout with these programs and I have noticed a huge difference when playing hockey with regards to strength, endurance, explosiveness.

4. Jarick

Jarick Doing Nothing

Home Page:
    I've heard a lot of good things about the 5x5 program.

5. The Devil In I

The Devil In I Registered User

Squats for powerful legs. Box jumps/other plyometrics for working on foot speed. Crossfit type workouts for general muscular strength/endurance.