Boston Sports Journal Weighing the cost, challenges for Bruins in a potential Jack Eichel blockbuster trade

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Would love to see Jack in black and gold, but the package wouldn't be worth it. For me, Carlo/McAvoy are your RHD for the next 8+ years. Young RHD are hard to find and I'm always hesitant moving them.

Personally id be ok with the rest of the guys being moved.

Elite #1C and elite #1D are the hardest guys to find in the NHL. If you have a chance to get one without giving up the other you almost always do it. Carlo and DeBrusk are excellent support pieces, but they will never be the best player on a Cup team. Eichel can be.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Call me crazy but I'd consider McAvoy for eichel

Eichel is better than McAvoy.

But I mean what is the point. In the long run, you aren’t winning a Cup with Carlo as your #1D anymore than you are with Coyle, Studnicka or Frederic as your #1C.

In the short run having Eichel, Bergeron, Krejci, Coyle up the middle with a top four of Chara, Carlo, Lauzon and Gryz makes no sense. Maybe you move Krejci to free up money for Krug. Every Bruins D but McAvoy sucked with Chara last year. Maybe you can roll Chara/Clifton as a 3rd pair? I dunno. The D group falls apart without McAvoy.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I would absolutely hate to see McAvoy go, but for Eichel I may do it, if we could then trade Krejci for some help on D after losing McAvoy

Not to get off topic but you're not going to acquire much in the way of help from dealing a David Krejci making 7 million in real salary going into his age 34 season with one year left on his contract.

Tonysil

Jan 1, 2013
Springfield, MA
It still blows my mind what people here expect trades to look like. In the last 10 years you can go back and look at all the HF trade proposals and when the trades happen for real they end up being about half what people agreed was a fair deal.

Reactions: bbfan419

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Elite #1C and elite #1D are the hardest guys to find in the NHL. If you have a chance to get one without giving up the other you almost always do it. Carlo and DeBrusk are excellent support pieces, but they will never be the best player on a Cup team. Eichel can be.

Whose your pk horse on defense when Chara calls it a career? Carlo is an elite shutdown dman while having an ofd for a partner. I think he's even got more offense then we've seen because he's always having having to worry about being the last line of defense while Krug jumps up on the play.

Reactions: BMC

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Whose your pk horse on defense when Chara calls it a career? Carlo is an elite shutdown dman while having an ofd for a partner. I think he's even got more offense then we've seen because he's always having having to worry about being the last line of defense while Krug jumps up on the play.

I feel 1000000% more confident in Lauzon being able to do that adequately than I do in the young Bruins centers becoming a top 15 C. I am NOT trying to dump on Carlo and his role at all. Maybe we need to recast the conversation. Would you trade Carlo for a 23 year old Bergeron? Obviously different styles...but that’s the quality of player we are talking about.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I feel 1000000% more confident in Lauzon being able to do that adequately than I do in the young Bruins centers becoming a top 15 C. I am NOT trying to dump on Carlo and his role at all. Maybe we need to recast the conversation. Would you trade Carlo for a 23 year old Bergeron? Obviously different styles...but that’s the quality of player we are talking about.

I like Lauzon game, but he's nowhere close to Carlo.

Reactions: wintersej

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I may look at Byfuglien depending on the cost and his desire to play for say 3 years.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I may look at Byfuglien depending on the cost and his desire to play for say 3 years.

A 33yr old Buff whose had ankle issues recently and almost 900 games on his body? And its 900 hard miles on top of that because of the style of hockey he plays. He's not a guy you lean on has your horse on the PK. Most years in the Peag he wasn't even one of their top 4 d-men in SH TOI.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
No I don’t do that deal. Eichel is worth that package sure, but this team is not trading Brandon Carlo.

maybe
1st
Jake DeBrusk
Studnicka
Vaak

Reactions: Blinny

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Crazy.

McAvoy is Chara's replacement when #33 finally hangs up his skates.

Is he though? I guess I'm looking at it from what is Chara's role on the team right now is. Now he's your shutdown PK horse, which really is the role that Carlo plays. Now if you're just saying #1 d-man, I'd argue that McAvoy is already you're #1 d-man in the rotation.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Is he though? I guess I'm looking at it from what is Chara's role on the team right now is. Now he's your shutdown PK horse, which really is the role that Carlo plays. Now if you're just saying #1 d-man, I'd argue that McAvoy is already you're #1 d-man in the rotation.

In that case all the more reason not to trade McAvoy, no? :)

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I wouldn't trade him or Carlo. The right side of the defense is set for the next 10 years. I also would try and pry Barkov away from FLA as I think he is as good, if not better than Eichel
Barkov's game reminds me of Bergeron, great on both sides of the puck and he is also a pretty good size. Would the cost be less for Barkov than Eichel?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Barkov's game reminds me of Bergeron, great on both sides of the puck and he is also a pretty good size. Would the cost be less for Barkov than Eichel?

Its an interesting question. He's signed for significantly less ($5.9 million per), but is only signed for two more seasons. I imagine there would be a lot of suitors lined up if Barkov became available because of how good of value you're getting with him for two years.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

Barkov is an exceptional hockey player. I agree, there's quite a bit of Bergeron in his game, and while his defensive stats aren't necessarily the greatest, that's more a reflection on the dumpster fire defenses he's spent a lot of time playing with. He's always struck me as a very responsible, clever operator and he's been a key piece in Florida's return to playoff contention this season. He probably doesn't have the out-and-out offensive skills of Eichel, but I'd say his all-round game is every bit as good if not better and while his value is sure to increase, it's highly likely to stay below what Jack's earning.

I think he'd be a great fit for the Bruins, his contract's going to expire at just the right time and I'd wager he and Pasta could create magic together. If the Panthers stay on their upward trajectory, which they probably will under Coach Q, he might be hard to entice away, but if I were Sweeney he'd be right up in the top couple on my list of potential future 1Cs.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Its an interesting question. He's signed for significantly less ($5.9 million per), but is only signed for two more seasons. I imagine there would be a lot of suitors lined up if Barkov became available because of how good of value you're getting with him for two years.
Yes I can see a lot of teams being in on Barkov should he become available. From a Bruins stand point they could have some interesting pieces to trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad