Pre-Game Talk: Week to Move (ANH, SJ, NYR)

GeniusSuperior

Sep 30, 2010
Other MacKinnon stats if you guys are interested. Looking on hockey reference and nhl stats pages.

Second leaguewide in even strength points at 38, one point behind Kucherov.
Third in goals created (?) behind kucherov and Tavares.
Third in game winning goals.
Somehow not in the top 10 in pp goals on ice for.
Second in offensive point shares (like WAR in baseball?)
Top in points per 60 minutes for more than 2 games played, narrow lead over Kucherov.

What I really want to see is a list for primary points, but I haven’t found any.
MacKinnon has the third most primary assists in the league, one behind Wheeler and Voracek while having far more goals than either. MacKinnon has 49 primary points and Kucherov has 45.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Also interesting....

Home: 44 points in 25 games
Away: 13 points in 19 games

16 home games remaining and 22 away games.
I too was thinking about this yesterday during the game.

6 of those away games were in October though, before things were clicking. So he had 3 points in those away games.

Since Oct 28 (1st game after the Vegas blow out when MacKinnon says things clicked):
Away: 10 points in 13 games.
Home: 42 points 21 games.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I see Kekäläinen claimed Jussi Jokinen. I could see him being a decent depth guy there, but man I never cared for Jokinen all that much.

Kekäläinen is a very good GM with one big exception lately, he is the reason why they lost Wild Bill to Vegas......

I wonder if he has had any nightmares about this? ;-) If I remember correctly Columbus used William as a third and fourth line grinder.

It's very fun with a Nordic GM though. :) I believe we may see more in the future but I'm not sure who the next will be.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I too was thinking about this yesterday during the game.

6 of those away games were in October though, before things were clicking. So he had 3 points in those away games.

Since Oct 28 (1st game after the Vegas blow out when MacKinnon says things clicked):
Away: 10 points in 13 games.
Home: 42 points 21 games.

Yeah, Mack should have a slower 2nd half this season. He's definitely not as dominant on the road as teams will use defensive shut down lines against him instead of opting to match up best on best like the Avs use him at home.

That said, I think he can probably do something like ~20 points in the remaining 16 home games, and ~15 points in the remaining 22 home games. Another ~35 points or so on the year. Would be good for ~90-95 points on the season.

No matter what he does I think he's well on his way to the best season by an Av since the Sakic/Forsberg days. Although Stastny did have himself a good couple years as well but I think Macks season is trumping those.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Yeah, Mack should have a slower 2nd half this season. He's definitely not as dominant on the road as teams will use defensive shut down lines against him instead of opting to match up best on best like the Avs use him at home.

That said, I think he can probably do something like ~20 points in the remaining 16 home games, and ~15 points in the remaining 22 home games. Another ~35 points or so on the year. Would be good for ~90-95 points on the season.

No matter what he does I think he's well on his way to the best season by an Av since the Sakic/Forsberg days. Although Stastny did have himself a good couple years as well but I think Macks season is trumping those.
Mack has also dominated the East, so hopefully he can rack up a couple 3 point nights against those teams to maintain his pace.

It’s where the Avs are really missing that great player on a different that teams need to worry about. It would be nice having a Stastny/Duchene/O’Reilly caliber player on the 2nd line to get MacKinnon some breathing room.

It’s ridiculous how he has changed the dynamic of the team. Takes all the best matchups, but has still been just too good for anything put in front of him. Teams are wasting their best players on him every night to the point where even the Avs weak secondary scoring is coming through.

Even if MacKinnon breaks 80 points we should be ecstatic, but I’ve been spoiled now and just want to see 100 so badly.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Ryan Lambert back with another piece on the Avs. He seems almost complimentary of the Avs at times, but seems to pull back and simultaneously dismiss the team.

My favorite statement from his story:

"So the thing to look at is, what changed around the middle of December? I’m sure you will be shocked to learn that the answer seems to be two things: They’re doing a little better in terms of shot quality, and a lot better in terms of actually putting the puck in the net and keeping it out."

Maybe that is the key, scoring more goals and giving up fewer? I am not sure why it has registered with me in the past that this could be the answer.

Trending Topics: Did the Duchene trade really save Avs' season?

Reactions: McMetal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->