Pre-Game Talk: Week on the Road (@NYR, @NJD, @CAR)

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Been thinking about what i've read here lately (haven't seen the last couple games) but sounds like the defense is struggling as is. Is it time to make some adjustments to the pairings?

Z-EJ
Nemeth-Barrie
Girard-Cole

Try Z on a pairing where he doesn't need to be the puck carrier, take Girard off the top pairing to give him some confidence not playing again top lines and Nemeth-Barrie was pretty decent last year.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Been thinking about what i've read here lately (haven't seen the last couple games) but sounds like the defense is struggling as is. Is it time to make some adjustments to the pairings?

Z-EJ
Nemeth-Barrie
Girard-Cole

Try Z on a pairing where he doesn't need to be the puck carrier, take Girard off the top pairing to give him some confidence not playing again top lines and Nemeth-Barrie was pretty decent last year.

Right now I wouldn't touch the Girard-EJ pair. Not a fan of changing D pairs often. The Cole-Barrie pairing has been a major issue though, and mostly because Barrie hasn't been driving the offense. We know he has his issues defensively, but usually he's off-setting that with offense.

Reactions: Tommy G

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
That's a good line. Hope they get more than 5 minutes of ice time.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Not a fan of that line. One shooter, one grinder who can't make plays and one we're-not-so-sure-yet. Not a defensive line with Ghetto in there and not an offensive line with Bourque. Unless Kamenev turns into Adam Oates and feeds the puck to Ghetto I don't see where this is going.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
HF in a nutshell.
Well hockey is unpredictable and sometimes players click together so who knows. On paper though this gotta be Bednar's "5 minutes a night" line. That's the hockey line equivalent of fixing your car trunk with duct tape.

Wonder if Ghetto will play on PP #2.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Well hockey is unpredictable and sometimes players click together so who knows. On paper though this gotta be Bednar's "5 minutes a night" line.

I think it could be a decent line. Two skilled guy and one lunch pail type to go into the corners. Would be better with Dano instead of Calvert imo

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I like Bourque as someone who works hard and can fill in when there are injuries but he has been playing way too much. This is a step in the right direction and the next step is him coming out of the lineup all together when Dano can play.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Well hockey is unpredictable and sometimes players click together so who knows. On paper though this gotta be Bednar's "5 minutes a night" line. That's the hockey line equivalent of fixing your car trunk with duct tape.

I think Dano will take calvert's spot when his immigration papers are done. And Calvert will go with Kam and ghetto

This just seems to be Bednar's way of making lines. Scorer/all around/grinder
That's the way the second line is
Kerfoot/Jost /Wilson
Nieto/Soda/Dano
Calvert /Kam /Ghetto

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Hopefully Nieto gets the scratch if JT Comphs is available on this trip as speculated.

Don't like that CAR is on a 2 game losing streak, just as tough of a test for the Avs next game.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I like Bourque as someone who works hard and can fill in when there are injuries but he has been playing way too much. This is a step in the right direction and the next step is him coming out of the lineup all together when Dano can play.
Agreed; that said, for the time being if/when Dano joins the team I'd scratch Nieto first, and then Bourque when JTC returns.

Nieto has been some kind of awful to start the season.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
"Me and [Matt] Nieto play a lot. He's fun to play with," MacKinnon told ESPN this week.

So where do you and the squad drop?

"We'll drop anywhere hot. We're not trying to chop wood for 30 minutes and then come in second. We're trying to get some kills early," he said. "I get greasy sometimes, for sure."

I asked him about the demonization of Fortnite by some veteran players, and MacKinnon scoffed at it.

"It's fun. People make of it, or whatever, but it's fun to play with your teammates, and it's fun watching them when you die, making fun of them. It's great. A great way to spend time with your friends," said the 2018 Hart Trophy runner-up.

"People just fish for things that don't matter. It's not going to help or hurt you if you play Fortnite. It's ridiculous people think it does."

Real or fake? Breaking down NHL's early-season trends

So that's why Nieto is still around. MacKinnon's Fortnite buddy isn't going anywhere.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad