Pre-Game Talk: Week on the Road (@NYR, @NJD, @CAR)

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Let's get 6 points here Avs and I totally think that is doable with these 3 teams. I also think it'll be kinda interesting to see how they handle who starts in goal. Before the season started I read that it was gonna be a 1A and 1B type situation but Varly going out there 5 out of 6 times is not 1A and 1B too me. I thought they were gonna split the games more evenly.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
W Rangers are terrible
W MacKinnon is the true MVP
OTL Carolina has been solid

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
W in New York
L in New Jersey
L in Carolina

The Devils have looked really good to start the season, as have the Hurricanes. I think this week could be painful. They'll hopefully dominate the Rangers, though.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I thought Andrighetto was coming back. Why is Dries recalled? Did I miss an injury?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know why this team is determined to break Varly every year playing him so often, while the team in front forces him to stand on his head.

Varly should not be playing against NYR. That was a very physically demanding game against the Flames. He had a lot of bodies crashing the net, and he was forced to make a lot of athletic saves.

Meanwhile Grubauer has plenty of experience against NYR, and has a great record against them. 7 games, 1.75 GAA, and .947 save percentage.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Kerfoot at center is a bad idea. If they are going with those combinations, JTC needs to be at C.

Yeah, that Soda line needs to click though and show Bednar what he can do with better wingers.

I wanted Calvert Soda and Compher together, but I'm interested to see what Jost and Soda can do especially with Jost on the wing.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Need to get Jost going, maybe the change to wing helps him out. Devils and Canes are going to be tough games but winnable. Would hope we see Grubauer against the Rangers.

Reactions: Avsavsavsavsavs

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't know why this team is determined to break Varly every year playing him so often, while the team in front forces him to stand on his head.

Oh come on, everyone was griping about how they weren't playing Varly enough at the beginning of the year (and the team flat-out admitted they were bringing him along slowly) so I think you're exaggerating more than a bit here. The team will have had plenty of rest by the time that game rolls around, Varly included.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I thought Andrighetto was coming back. Why is Dries recalled? Did I miss an injury?

No, the team is simply taking advantage of the fact that their AHL affiliate is just up the road in Loveland, so when they play at home they send home one of the extras so he can get playing time, when they go on the road though they take 23 players since a recall would take longer.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Probably the end of Long Beach Native
I wouldn't be too sure about that, Bednar got at least solid 60 games of him last season (and perhaps more) on that defencive line. I could see him being on waivers during the season, but I would be shocked if Avs did it so fast like today, I suggest that Bednar will give him many chances before they call it.

Reactions: McMetal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't really like Kerfoot at center, but Jost to wing is a positive. Lessen the pressure on the kid defensively so he can start getting some offense going.

I doubt Nieto goes anywhere. To me, this is a signal to him to get his ass in gear as much as anything... but also points out how important Comeau was to that line.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't really like Kerfoot at center, but Jost to wing is a positive. Lessen the pressure on the kid defensively so he can start getting some offense going.

I doubt Nieto goes anywhere. To me, this is a signal to him to get his ass in gear as much as anything... but also points out how important Comeau was to that line.
He really was.

Not saying that the Avs should have brought Comeau back, but I think the Avs misread that line a lot. It was Soderberg/Comeau with the clear-cut chemistry, and Nieto simply added to it. Now, it's not nearly as effective.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
JTC out skating in a red jersey.

He's a Devil now eh?

2vhu82o.png

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So who comes out of the lineup now? Ghetto should be back any day now and it shouldn't be too much longer for Dano's visa.

Bourque and Nieto are obvious candidates but I'm not sure if Bednar can quit them. Kamenev played well and Bednar had some good things to say about him after the game so hopefully he sticks. Dries also had a good game last night but he'll probably lose his spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad