Pre-Game Talk: Week of "Win Them All Or Die Trying" @MIN, @DAL, vs. CHI, @CHI

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Today is the "easiest" game remaining, its pretty much close to a must win. Lose today and the Avs have to get results in a few of the games against Vegas, San Jose, Blues and Jets.

At this point in the season you have to play the goaltender that gives you the best chance to win. Varlamov has given up 3 goals or more in each of his last 4 games with awful SV%, the team cannot afford another game like that.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Today is the "easiest" game remaining, its pretty much close to a must win. Lose today and the Avs have to get results in a few of the games against Vegas, San Jose, Blues and Jets.

Idk if this will be the easiest game left. Chicago’s season basically almost over, but if they win tonight there’s still a miniscule chance they can make the playoffs. This is their season on the line so they’re gonna come out flying and it’ll be a tough game imo.

Reactions: MarkT

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Idk if this will be the easiest game left. Chicago’s season basically almost over, but if they win tonight there’s still a miniscule chance they can make the playoffs. This is their season on the line so they’re gonna come out flying and it’ll be a tough game imo.
My bad the Oilers game should be the easiest game left. However, the Avs really need a result here and who knows what Varlamov is going to be in net, he could very well lose the game for the Avs if he plays like he has lately.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
My bad the Oilers game should be the easiest game left. However, the Avs really need a result here and who knows what Varlamov is going to be in net, he could very well lose the game for the Avs if he plays like he has lately.

I’d understand if they play either goalie. I’d still go Varly just because historically he’s dominant against the hawks and I think getting Grub a small rest going down the stretch would be important. But either goalie works for me.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Varly should definitely start. He generally plays well in two situations: when he's in Chicago and when he feels like he's lost/losing the starting job.

As for which games the Avs will win, with this team I think it's silly to try to predict. They will probably lose to Chicago and Edmonton but beat San Jose and Vegas, if this season is any indication of how predictable they are.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

At this point in the season you have to play the goaltender that gives you the best chance to win. Varlamov has given up 3 goals or more in each of his last 4 games with awful SV%, the team cannot afford another game like that.

Ottawa won last night. So did NJ, LA and DET. Once and for all: There are no "easy" games left in the NHL. This league is nuts.

And for the goalie situation: Grubi played in NSH on a b2b, despite Varly being the hot goalie at the time, and he shut them out. Varly will be eager to do something similar today. And i'm quite confident that he will do exactly that ... if he plays of course.

Reactions: MarkT

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I’d understand if they play either goalie. I’d still go Varly just because historically he’s dominant against the hawks and I think getting Grub a small rest going down the stretch would be important. But either goalie works for me.
What if Varlamov plays like crap and loses the game for the Avs? Its not going to look like a good decision, especially when Grubauer has been outstanding and Varlamov has looked shaky.

Only a few games left and any loss could be the difference between a playoff spot and an early summer vacation.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Whatever Bednar decide to do; if we lose there will be at least 10 posters that think that Bednar is an idiot for playing the "wrong" goalie and that we need a better coach ;)

Reactions: Avs

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What if Varlamov plays like crap and loses the game for the Avs? Its not going to look like a good decision, especially when Grubauer has been outstanding and Varlamov has looked shaky.

Only a few games left and any loss could be the difference between a playoff spot and an early summer vacation.

Grub looked dead in his post game interview so I could understand going Varly. Either way.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

What if Grubauer plays and lets in 8 goals?
See how this "what if" stuff goes both ways?

I agree it's important that the Avs try to win as many games as possible right now, which is why I'd want to avoid burning out Grubauer and ruining his confidence by playing him in a back to back situation and risk having him get shelled.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
What if Grubauer plays and lets in 8 goals?
See how this "what if" stuff goes both ways?

I agree it's important that the Avs try to win as many games as possible right now, which is why I'd want to avoid burning out Grubauer and ruining his confidence by playing him in a back to back situation and risk having him get shelled.
The Varlamov what if scenario is totally realistic tough, probably the most likely outcome based on his last few starts. There is no question who is the better goaltender right now.

As to Grubauer getting burned out, its just pure speculation based on nothing.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
The Varlamov what if scenario is totally realistic tough, probably the most likely outcome based on his last few starts. There is no question on who is the better goaltender right now.

I bet you argued against starting Grubauer in Nashville too.

As to Grubauer getting burned out, its just pure speculation based on nothing.
Grub looked dead in his post game interview so I could understand going Varly. Either way.
Hell he looked exhausted during the 3rd period. He definitely needs a rest.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I bet you argued against starting Grubauer in Nashville too.
Point is that its a gamble, maybe it works maybe it won't. I don't think the Avs should be taking a chance with a goaltender who has looked poor lately with their entire season on the line.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
SplendidTastyGermanpinscher.gif

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Point is that its a gamble, maybe it works maybe it won't. I don't think the Avs should be taking a chance with a goaltender who has looked poor lately with their entire season on the line.

The Avalanche are not going to win every game. They could lose in Chicago and still make the playoffs. There's a reason most teams play both goalies on back to back games.

Also consider what message not playing him sends to Varly and to the rest of the team regarding Varly. Then consider that we may still need to rely on Varly at some point before all is said and done.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avalanche are not going to win every game. They could lose in Chicago and still make the playoffs. There's a reason most teams play both goalies on back to back games.

Also consider what message not playing him sends to Varly and to the rest of the team regarding Varly. Then consider that we may still need to rely on Varly at some point before all is said and done.
It send the right message, which is that he has not been good enough and is getting clearly outplayed by Grubauer. If anyone on the team has an issue with starting the better goaltender atm then I don't know what to say.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
It send the right message, which is that he has not been good enough and is getting clearly outplayed by Grubauer. If anyone on the team has an issue with starting the better goaltender atm then I don't know what to say.

Or of course the message that the team has no faith in Varly and he's such a bad goalie that we'd rather go with a tired Grubauer.
Gruby's on a hot streak. I'd rather not risk derailing it at this point. I'd rather rest him and have him ready to go for the Golden Knights.

But it's clear we're not going to change each others' minds. Good thing neither of us has a say in who starts tonight. I'll happily eat crow if Gruby starts and plays well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

That last home game against the Jets stands the easiest one to win... If they have the Central division locked up by then(And good chance they do) then no doubt we'll get the backup tendy and good chance that 2-3 of the big name guys are resting that night.

And quite frankly that Home game against Arizona should be an easy win as well. The Yotes roster isn't actually dangerous and our guys should be extremely fired up at home to play such a big game.

I expect us to win that Yotes game, the Edmonton game, and the Winnipeg game. Meaning we just need to get one more win out of the Hawks, Sharks, Blues, and Vegas and we should be alright.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad