Pre-Game Talk: Week of "Win Them All Or Die Trying" @MIN, @DAL, vs. CHI, @CHI

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
When Varly was playing like Garbage that’s when he should’ve 100% got the reigns. He should’ve gotten 4-5 games in a row. Yeah I know he was also playing like trash but we committed to this guy for 3 years. ****ing see what you have in the guy.

I guess I’m the minority then. The reason I don’t agree with that is because when they were both playing absolutely terrible, Varly was still the better goalie. Sure Grubauer should’ve gotten a few more starts mixed in there, but no way should he have had more than 3 games in a row with the way he was playing.

I think the one thing we all can agree on is that Frank absolutely should’ve gotten a few starts during that stretch. It still blows my mind his only appearances were in relief.

Reactions: McMetal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It’s frustrating it’s taken him this long to not play like complete ass.

I have absolutely no problem with Grubauer, but the reason he was never given the reigns is because he never earned them. I don’t understand why so many people can’t grasp that.
Okay, we get it you hate him. The problem was not that Grubs was playing like complete ass because he did, but because we already knew that Varlamov was going to post his substandard .900 - .910 SV% and keep us in games without ever being a huge difference. Varly is still one of the big issues on the PK and why it's ranked so low IMO. Grubs never had a chance to redeem himself similar to Zadorov, every tiny mistake allowed Varlamov to come in the next game. But guess what? When Varlamov allowed a similar weak goal, he was given more leash from his doghouse to play the next game. Of course any goaler would lose confidence knowing that if they allow one weak goal it is curtains for them.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I guess I’m the minority then. The reason I don’t agree with that is because when they were both playing absolutely terrible, Varly was still the better goalie. Sure Grubauer should’ve gotten a few more starts mixed in there, but no way should he have had more than 3 games in a row with the way he was playing.

I think the one thing we all can agree on is that Frank absolutely should’ve gotten a few starts during that stretch. It still blows my mind his only appearances were in relief.

Again, the idea is that they should’ve given Grubauer a chance to break out of his poor play while Varlamov sucked. If he’s your starter of the future, find out if he can handle that. Varlamov had chance after chance to break out of his slump, and he eventually did. Grubauer was given a shot here and a shot there but never the consistent playing time it takes to pull out of a spiral like that.

The goalies sucked this year. Grubauer sucked. I’m not arguing otherwise. But looking at the context of the goalies, their contracts, and the team’s future needs, Bednar mishandled the situation for the same reason he mishandles many situations: he coaches like a coward, like an AHL coach still trying to get his big ticket to the show.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
That’s fair. And I agree Grubauer should definitely have gotten more starts throughout the season. But I think the reason he seemed to have a shorter leash was 1. Varly came into the season as the #1 (whether you agree with it or not), so he was treated as “the starter” and therefore given the longer leash. And 2. We are all well aware of how Bednar (and just about any coach for that matter) is when it comes to players they are familiar with.

Grubauer hadn’t done anything to exactly instill confidence in Bednar starting him when we hit that rough patch. So when both goalies were playing poorly, Bednar went with his starter and the guy he was familiar with.

And you couldn’t be more wrong about me hating Grubauer. I want him to succeed and I hope he is the goalie of our future. And I’m really glad he has seemed to find his game recently. I was simply saying he never earned the starting job with his play, which is absolutely true.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

But when basically tell Varly that we traded for your replacement and immediately commit to him for 3 years you have to give him a starters workload at some point. You have to just roll with him and come to a decision on whether we have to get someone else or he’s our guy. You can’t do that by not playing him a lot. And we still have no clue whether or not we have a starter in Gru and that’s a big failure this year.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
It’s frustrating it’s taken him this long to not play like complete ass.

I have absolutely no problem with Grubauer, but the reason he was never given the reigns is because he never earned them. I don’t understand why so many people can’t grasp that.
The correct move should've been to call up Francouz and trade Varly at the deadline for whatever we could get.

Reactions: Forceberg and Avs

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Man, is it ever possible for you to not high horse 100% of your posts?

For the record I was including myself in that. Even I had reached a breaking point on Grubs where I was ready to move on from him.

But if you dont like the way I post feel free to use the ignore feature.

When Varly was playing like Garbage that’s when he should’ve 100% got the reigns. He should’ve gotten 4-5 games in a row. Yeah I know he was also playing like trash but we committed to this guy for 3 years. ****ing see what you have in the guy.

Yeah. Both guys were playing awful but it was incredibly frustrating to see Bednar go back to Varly time and time again after awful games. Then Grubs would finally get a game(often the 2nd of a b2b) and have a bad result and it was right back to Varly again.

It's one area Bednar definitely deserves a huge portion of blame for this season. Sakic as well at some point maybe should have stepped in and said it's time to give Grubs more of a chance.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
At least he'll get an NHL salary for sitting on his butt at the Xcel energy center as opposed to sitting on his butt at home. The Eags don't play again until Friday night. Also, AJ Greer looks like the generic male video game protagonist from the character selection screen

a.j.-greer-2018-690.jpg

Reactions: Pokecheque

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I just don't get how the organization doesn't see their failure at developing young depth players, maybe if you actually handle a guy like Jost/Greer properly you wouldn't need to go out and sign guys like Calvert and Cole to bloated UFA deals. Just do something different for once.

Reactions: Pokecheque

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
The Bednar confusion continues!

JB: We'll roll with the same lines as the NJ game because we played well and we gotta keep that momentum

Also JB: *After Avs string of games where they beat Nashville and Winnepeg* We'll be sending AJG down because he needs to be more consistent. Also Cole is coming back so Graves is sitting. Bourque is also in because....next question please.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Did the Avs seriously send Greer back down after calling him up and not playing him yesterday? I saw one poster claiming that this has happened, but I have not seen any confirmation.

It would be rather crazy if true.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Did the Avs seriously send Greer back down after calling him up and not playing him yesterday? I saw one poster claiming that this has happened, but I have not seen any confirmation.

It would be rather crazy if true.
Well he came up as insurance only while on the road. With that being said we are still on the road in Dallas the next game so I was expecting him to stick around for that game as well as insurance again. The only way that makes sense is if Landy is coming back. That would go with the Dater news but it would be crazy that it went from being out the rest of the season to already coming back so I'm a bit confused by the Greer news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad