Pre-Game Talk: Week of falling out of the playoffs (Van)

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
So for the last TWO MONTHS we've been as bad as we were in the 48 pts season.

Funny thing is that with decent goaltending our record won't be 7-14-4. Would be more like 14-7-4.

Well, after thinking about it for a minute i changed my mind:

giphy.gif

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
So for the last TWO MONTHS we've been as bad as we were in the 48 pts season.

panic-button-500x500.jpg

Yeah, but at least we are playing decent hockey most of the time, you just can't win when goalies stop 85% of shots. Every single defensive breakdown ends up in the net.

PS

I think this is the worst goaltending I have seen in quite some time. Budaj and Raycroft were so so bad, but they also played behind a team that was just absolutely putrid, no Joe, no Paulie for half a season, potato for a coach, just Hejduk, Smyth and Liles with a bunch of bums and our goalies still managed to be at 89.7%.

Meanwhile, these guys play behind the best team defense this team has seen in at least a decade, have the most dominant line in hockey, much better coached team and they can't break 86% the past two months.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sure has been a boring week, but these breaks have a tendency to make a team reset. Hope that’s the case. It’s a bit shocking we’ve hung around the playoff bubble this long.

More than anything, we need >.900 goaltending in February. That shouldn’t be a huge ask, but I have zero confidence.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
If I'm doing the math right, the last time they had a long break was a 5 day break, they came back and went winless in 5 games or so before winning a game, so after a 9 day break, they should go winless in 9 games?

I dont even wanna think about it, but it might get uglier than already is.
I mean, this is just flawless logic.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah. The 16/17 season was a year where we were getting outplayed thoroughly every single night.

This year we're very rarely getting badly outplayed. Most of the time it's either close even games or games where we carry play and even a decent number of games where we flat out dominate.

But when your goalies are allowing an average of 1.4 Goals against every 10 shots allowed it really is a massive struggle to win games with any regularity.

You're talking almost 3 goals against for just 20 shots and almost 5 for 30 shots. Given that most teams give up 30 shots a game on average, our goalies right now are asking us to score 6 goals a night to win.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah. The 16/17 season was a year where we were getting outplayed thoroughly every single night.

This year we're very rarely getting badly outplayed. Most of the time it's either close even games or games where we carry play and even a decent number of games where we flat out dominate.

But when your goalies are allowing an average of 1.4 Goals against every 10 shots allowed it really is a massive struggle to win games with any regularity.

You're talking almost 3 goals against for just 20 shots and almost 5 for 30 shots. Given that most teams give up 30 shots a game on average, our goalies right now are asking us to score 6 goals a night to win.

You depressing f***er

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Is today the day they are allowed to practice again? Not that it matters but a part of me wants this break to be even longer because i really don't look forward for our duo of doom in net to f*** up again. As long as they are NOT playing there is still hope. :help:

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Hopefully Varlamov and Grubauer spent the break at a Tibetan monastery getting their heads into the game. Or at least they were in Maui, practicing stopping beach balls.
Baby steps.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Hopefully Varlamov and Grubauer spent the break at a Tibetan monastery getting their heads into the game. Or at least they were in Maui, practicing stopping beach balls.
Baby steps.

Hopefully Varly found a lazarus pit. Or some sort of new groin.

Nah we just argue about trading Barrie and chat about how nuts Ranger fans are.

Those Ranger are pretty cray cray though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Oh god... Kerfoot-MacK-Wilson might actually happen...

giphy.gif

Well maybe a few shifts of that might get MacK to shoot the puck himself a little more, and I don't count shooting from the blue line in order to create a FO lol. I doubt it lasts past the first period.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Well maybe a few shifts of that might get MacK to shoot the puck himself a little more, and I don't count shooting from the blue line in order to create a FO lol. I doubt it lasts past the first period.

I read this as "shoot himself a little more" and just completely accepted it like yes, that makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad