Pre-Game Talk: Week of central and McJesus (Nsh, @Wpg, @Edm)

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
There's little doubt in my mind that Sakic is actively looking to upgrade the top 6. Probably not aggressively, but keeping a line out there.
He could and should have done that this summer. Everyone knew that the 2nd line is garbage, not a single player on that line deserves to be there.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
This week I really want to see Greer play for more than five pointless minutes. Give him a chance to figure it out. Also, I can’t think of any reason for Gabe Bourque to get more time than Kamenev.

In general I’m mainly hoping to see the team regain its puck control mojo, especially when trying to leave the defensive zone. I’m starting to be able to predict those abortive attempts to sling the puck along the boards and out before they happen.

Also— you might think I’m crazy but I’m still feeling zen about the second line. Let’s see how November goes. I remain a Jost believer.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He could and should have done that this summer. Everyone knew that the 2nd line is garbage, not a single player on that line deserves to be there.

It's funny people keep roasting him for this. Who would you have gotten if you were in his shoes? James Neal? David Perron? James van Riemsdyk? I mean, I pushed for Paul Stastny but it's pretty clear he knew where he wanted to go. The rest of those guys would've commanded a lot of $$$ and term and I don't think any of those contracts are going to really pan out. I'm fine with them developing from within...and this is where my current quibble with Bednar comes into play because I think he and the organization need to be a little more bold with their lineup choices. Leaning WAY too hard on grinders and supposedly "defensive" forwards who simply aren't as good defensively as advertised instead of giving expanded roles to some of the older prospects in this lineup is a mistake that Bednar just keeps making for some weird reason. He's leaning on the top line, but he's going back to the well and trying to cobble together a "checking" line like he had last season and it simply isn't working, and while I didn't blame him for that strategy last season, I am this year because unlike 2017-18, there are kids ready to play.

In the offseason I'd like to see the Avs make some sort of push to shore up secondary scoring, as others have said let's see what first rounders the Avs have before making a swing for the fences.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This week I really want to see Greer play for more than five pointless minutes. Give him a chance to figure it out. Also, I can’t think of any reason for Gabe Bourque to get more time than Kamenev.

In general I’m mainly hoping to see the team regain its puck control mojo, especially when trying to leave the defensive zone. I’m starting to be able to predict those abortive attempts to sling the puck along the boards and out before they happen.

Also— you might think I’m crazy but I’m still feeling zen about the second line. Let’s see how November goes. I remain a Jost believer.

My thoughts exactly.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's funny people keep roasting him for this. Who would you have gotten if you were in his shoes? James Neal? David Perron? James van Riemsdyk? I mean, I pushed for Paul Stastny but it's pretty clear he knew where he wanted to go. The rest of those guys would've commanded a lot of $$$ and term and I don't think any of those contracts are going to really pan out. I'm fine with them developing from within...and this is where my current quibble with Bednar comes into play because I think he and the organization need to be a little more bold with their lineup choices. Leaning WAY too hard on grinders and supposedly "defensive" forwards who simply aren't as good defensively as advertised instead of giving expanded roles to some of the older prospects in this lineup is a mistake that Bednar just keeps making for some weird reason. He's leaning on the top line, but he's going back to the well and trying to cobble together a "checking" line like he had last season and it simply isn't working, and while I didn't blame him for that strategy last season, I am this year because unlike 2017-18, there are kids ready to play.

In the offseason I'd like to see the Avs make some sort of push to shore up secondary scoring, as others have said let's see what first rounders the Avs have before making a swing for the fences.

Skinner was available. That should have been the guy they went after, his trade value wasn’t super high. Can make his own offense and has a ridiculous shot and realistically would’ve fit well next to Kerfoot being a shoot first player.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It's funny people keep roasting him for this. Who would you have gotten if you were in his shoes?
I would have gone all in on ROR. He was by far the best forward available this summer and Buffalo essentially wanted to dump him out west no matter how bad the return. You could have offered Buffalo more than double the value the Blues gave and it still would have been a solid deal.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Skinner was available. That should have been the guy they went after, his trade value wasn’t super high. Can make his own offense and has a ridiculous shot and realistically would’ve fit well next to Kerfoot being a shoot first player.

Skinner wouldn't let the Canes trade him anywhere other than Buffalo for whatever reason, so no, he wasn't available.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would have gone all in on ROR. He was by far the best forward available this summer and Buffalo essentially wanted to dump him out west no matter how bad the return. You could have offered Buffalo more than double the value the Blues gave and it still would have been a solid deal.

Dude...come on. :laugh:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Skinner wouldn't let the Canes trade him anywhere other than Buffalo for whatever reason, so no, he wasn't available.

Where was it said Buffalo was the only place he’d go to? I know he was picky on where he wanted to go but I never heard that.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yes going after the best forward in the market who can be had for scraps is totally uncalled for. I doubt ROR would mind all that much paying for a future contender.

Okay, well I just got done saying the possibility of Duchene returning to Colorado was not remotely within the realm of possibility, so I guess I have to say bringing Ryan O'Reilly back was not within the plane of existence upon which the realm of possibility resides. Try again.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Where was it said Buffalo was the only place he’d go to? I know he was picky on where he wanted to go but I never heard that.

I don't have the links in front of me but I could swear everyone was flabbergasted he went for so little and that delays in the deal were due to Skinner nixing some earlier ones.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Okay, well I just got done saying the possibility of Duchene returning to Colorado was not remotely within the realm of possibility, so I guess I have to say bringing Ryan O'Reilly back was not within the plane of existence upon which the realm of possibility resides. Try again.
The Duchene situation is different. ROR was traded because we did not want to pay him for some damn reason. He does not have a no-trade clause and offering more than the Blues would have been easy. I don't see any reason ROR would be upset by being in Colorado now that he makes as much green as he wanted. If the only roadblock preventing the Avs from greatly improving the team is old grudges towards a player then Sakic needs to get his head out of his ass.

Reactions: Foppberg

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Coaches (ALL of them) like to reward players who work their asses off so the Calvert love isn't a surprise. It happens with every single team so we can live with that.

However, I don't like Sammy on the right side at all. Might help his offensive production but he's more prone to defensive mistakes as we've seen during the last trip. I really don't like the idea of him playing the puck on his off side along the board.

We really insisted on getting a LHD with the Duchene trade, it would be pretty dumb to play him on the right side.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
However, I don't like Sammy on the right side at all. Might help his offensive production but he's more prone to defensive mistakes as we've seen during the last trip. I really don't like the idea of him playing the puck on his off side along the board.

We really insisted on getting a LHD with the Duchene trade, it would be pretty dumb to play him on the right side.

Bednar said Girard likes to play on the right side and they also feel he's equally as good there.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Duchene situation is different. ROR was traded because we did not want to pay him for some damn reason. He does not have a no-trade clause and offering more than the Blues would have been easy. I don't see any reason ROR would be upset by being in Colorado now that he makes as much green as he wanted. If the only roadblock preventing the Avs from greatly improving the team is old grudges towards a player then Sakic needs to get his head out of his ass.

So wait...they didn't want to pay him that much, yet you think they should trade for the contract they didn't want to sign him to? Okay then. Just remember that Buffalo also decided they did not want to pay him for "some damn reason" either. You really think he's worth that money? I don't.

And Colorado didn't conveniently have a couple crappy contracts they could deal to Buffalo to balance out the salaries, so no, it wouldn't have been that easy for Colorado to outbid them.

I suppose if you believe Sakic is some raging egomaniac whose hubris led to Ryan O'Reilly's departure, there's not much I can say to sway you otherwise. Far as I'm concerned he handled that situation just fine, far better than the organization as a whole handled the Duchene situation IMHO. If you think the "only" roadblock that exists between O'Reilly making a "glorious" return to Colorado is Joe Sakic and his raging ego, I think that's a hopelessly naive stance. And that's my opinion, take it or leave it.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
So wait...they didn't want to pay him that much, yet you think they should trade for the contract they didn't want to sign him to? Okay then. Just remember that Buffalo also decided they did not want to pay him for "some damn reason" either. You really think he's worth that money? I don't.
Lets get real here ROR at 7.5 million per year is a damn good player to have. He earns as much as he deserves. He has been the Blues best player and has 19 points in 13 games. Just because Buffalo dumped him for a bunch of garbage does not change anything, it was a terrible move by a mediocre at best GM.

Reactions: 21

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Am I the only one that's not really a fan of this? Not a huge shot from the point and maybe that's fine with the 1st unit but, underwhelming when Barrie (albeit unreliably) can bomb it.
I don't think the first unit D have to be able to bomb it. Just get the puck to the real goal scorers and through on shots.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
If i hear one more post about ROR, Stastny, or Duchene coming back here....I....probably won't do anything but I'll be salty about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad