Pre-Game Talk: Week of a new year (LA, SJ, NYR)

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Time to change over the calendar and hopefully the Avs can get as far away from December as possible.

For those who do it, what are your New Years resolutions? Mine is to continue on my keto diet to get to a better weight.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
lol there ya go, Josty! Struggling to stay afloat on the second line? Try the first!

Well maybe he gets going.. I do think it's a confidence issue, because towards the end of the previous season he was playing much better.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Jost has better potential than Nieto so that's an improvement. Still should be Ghetto.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I'm actually happy with Jost there. Would prefer Kerfoot if we have to break up the big line but I think there is a chance Jost could have good chemistry with Mack. Jost wont have to drive the play and should get some chances and hopefully can start to gain confidence

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

The Avs need to get their shit together because I can’t remember the last I’ve seen the Central so up for grabs.

Reactions: klozge

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

I much prefer Jost on the wing. I mentioned that yesterday and like 4 guys basically told me I was an idiot, and he should be on the 4th line until he "earns" it lol if he's successful, it could be a huge help.

Or his shortcomings will be even more obvious. Haha

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

How was he last night? I missed the game but on the highlights the goals he allowed seemed like great plays by the Hawks with some poor defensive coverage from the Avs.

Looks like it's going to be at least five days between starts for Grubauer while he's playing his best hockey of the season.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland

How was he last night? I missed the game but on the highlights the goals he allowed seemed like great plays by the Hawks with some poor defensive coverage from the Avs.

Looks like it's going to be at least five days between starts for Grubauer while he's playing his best hockey of the season.

He was good.

Reactions: klozge

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
OTL OTL OTL because we can.

And Jost with Mac/Rants shows you how desperate Bednar must be. Poor dude.

Sakic really needs to get him some more help.

As was already mentioned, the Central is anyones for the taking right now. Nashville is playing like garbage, and Winnipeg just lost its most important Defender and possibly most important player for at minimum 4 weeks.

If we can get our shit together we could take a stab at winning the division and put ourselves in a position where we buy at the deadline(Stone or Hayes) to get a legit 2nd line and have a much easier 1st round matchup. If we dont get our shit together and do nothing come deadline time, there's a reasonable chance we miss playoffs altogether.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If he can’t get it going with the two best players on the team he can’t get it going with anyone.

Yeah, one thing that I think may be a mistake is who they're pulling off the top line. Landy does some good stuff, and I liked how he played last night. However if you want someone to really create offense on another line then I think you have to move Mikko. MacK and Mikko are both capable of creating on their own. Landeskog obviously can, but not on the same level.

It's not like it is expected to be a long term thing either way, but I think Bednar is moving the wrong players around in the wrong spots. Ghetto instead of Jost, still won't use Soda, and Mikko is the one who could actually create his own offense on another line.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, one thing that I think may be a mistake is who they're pulling off the top line. Landy does some good stuff, and I liked how he played last night. However if you want someone to really create offense on another line then I think you have to move Mikko. MacK and Mikko are both capable of creating on their own. Landeskog obviously can, but not on the same level.

It's not like it is expected to be a long term thing either way, but I think Bednar is moving the wrong players around in the wrong spots. Ghetto instead of Jost, still won't use Soda, and Mikko is the one who could actually create his own offense on another line.

No argument here. In fact the one time shuffling lines worked was when he moved Compher up to the top line and took Mikko off, leaving Landy and MacKinnon there.

I don't know, they're just convinced if they move Carl out of that checking line spot it's going to leave a hole so big it's going to turn into a singularity of cosmic force that'll suck everything down with it. I've maintained that I think Soda's defensive prowess is really not that great, but it's good enough insofar that it helps him create offense, which is what he does best. I could almost guarantee if you put Kerfoot or Compher there in between Nieto and Calvert you wouldn't see much of a dropoff, if any.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Annoying how easy it was for Varlamov to win the net back when Grubauer was good. I hope Varlamov builds on a good performance (didn't watch but I trust those who did) because that's good for the team, but the better thing long term is Grubauer stringing good games together for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->