NFL GDT: Week 9

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Pete Carrol extended until 2025, so that would take him to age 74. But, for Pete, he has a 31 year old Wilson, so that's his QB for his contract.

BB, he doesn't know right now who is QB will be next season. If Stidham is worth a look, he'd have to get him into half the games at least in the second half of the season to see what he has. I think if BB doesn't like his QB options this off-season, I could see him calling it a career soon.

Right now, Jets/Jags appear to have the top 2 picks in the draft. Jets won't trade Darnold within the division. Would likely do something similar to NE and send him to the NFC if possible, like to SF, Chi, Min, Was, Dal before Indy, Den for example. And it depends who is in position to draft Lance. Don't see BB paying who Dak would want. Are Wilson, Jones, or any other QB going to step right in and get the Pats into the playoffs when they are in the same division as Buffalo/Miami now?

I think if it ends up that NYJ get Lawrence, and trade Darnold to SF for a first round pick, then SF cuts Jimmy G, I could see Jimmy returning to NE and BB would get what he wanted about 4 years ago.
I dont see him walking away unless something happens health wise. He has both his sons working with him and has full control of one of the best organizations in sports. Hes not walking away without taking his best run at Shula. He has full confidence in himself, maybe too a fault at times.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Belichick probably won't retire yet.

Cam actually played pretty well last night but the Jets D is horrible...

Would have been better off losing to help their draft pick.

They aren't going to make the playoffs and if by some miracle they did, they certainly aren't going to win the SB.

Once Brady left this was always going to be a transition year. They had like no cap space this season but next offseason they will have the second most. That's why it would be nice to get a top pick to maybe grab a QB and then go after free agents

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Pete Carrol extended until 2025, so that would take him to age 74. But, for Pete, he has a 31 year old Wilson, so that's his QB for his contract.

BB, he doesn't know right now who is QB will be next season. If Stidham is worth a look, he'd have to get him into half the games at least in the second half of the season to see what he has. I think if BB doesn't like his QB options this off-season, I could see him calling it a career soon.

Right now, Jets/Jags appear to have the top 2 picks in the draft. Jets won't trade Darnold within the division. Would likely do something similar to NE and send him to the NFC if possible, like to SF, Chi, Min, Was, Dal before Indy, Den for example. And it depends who is in position to draft Lance. Don't see BB paying who Dak would want. Are Wilson, Jones, or any other QB going to step right in and get the Pats into the playoffs when they are in the same division as Buffalo/Miami now?

I think if it ends up that NYJ get Lawrence, and trade Darnold to SF for a first round pick, then SF cuts Jimmy G, I could see Jimmy returning to NE and BB would get what he wanted about 4 years ago.

If what I read in the Boston Globe today is true and their beat writers are usually top notch. Stidham is done in NE. Apparently, they soured on Stidham back in June which is why they restructured a few contracts to get enough money for Newton. They don’t like what they see in him in practice and assuredly in game. They gave him 1/2 game and few other reps already and Stidham’s rating I think is something like 14.

So unless Stidham does a major transformations in the next 8 months, count on Belichick going back to free agency or trying to possibly pry back Garoppolo. Who knows, maybe Newton can find a groove after last night.

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
I dont see him walking away unless something happens health wise. He has both his sons working with him and has full control of one of the best organizations in sports. Hes not walking away without taking his best run at Shula. He has full confidence in himself, maybe too a fault at times.
I dunno man, I think there is a reason that McDaniels has stuck around and rejected interviews for HC and it is not because Belichick intends on sticking around til 75 yrs old.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I dunno man, I think there is a reason that McDaniels has stuck around and rejected interviews for HC and it is not because Belichick intends on sticking around til 75 yrs old.
At this point waiting another 5 years to coach the Patriots is a better option than about 80% of the coaching jobs in the NFL.

Also, looking back on the Indy, rightly or wrongly, I think its obvious he bailed because he caught wind of Luck retiring. Just seems to obvious.

Reactions: Barnum

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
At this point waiting another 5 years to coach the Patriots is a better option than about 80% of the coaching jobs in the NFL.
You honestly can not see Belichick sliding into the full time GM with McDaniels as the HC? We obviously are butting heads on this because the possibly of both of our scenarios are totally plausible and only time will tell which one of us is right.

It’s just so rare for HC to go into their 70s and when they do, it hasn’t worked out.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
I've watched the Jets do stupid shit like this for the last 20 years, even when they were good.

Anyone thinking that a NFL player would deliberately put anything other than there best performance on tape, just doesn't understand the NFL. The average career is 3 years, you wouls have to be a moron to not give your best.
I agree. My post was facetious in nature. I never watch the Jets play and can definitely see why they are 0-9. That was an embarrassment of a 4th quarter at every level.

member 157595

I agree. My post was facetious in nature. I never watch the Jets play and can definitely see why they are 0-9. That was an embarrassment of a 4th quarter at every level.

That 4th quarter doesn't hold a candle to a few of the other games I've seen from them this year.

They are generationally terrible from both a coaching and personnel perspective.

Reactions: qwerty

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I honestly think that was their best chance to win a game. Cam Newton has been absolute garbage all year and he looked like his old self against the Jets defense.

Getting cut up by that bottom 5 offense probably doesn't bode well for their record at the end of the season

member 157595

I honestly think that was their best chance to win a game. Cam Newton has been absolute garbage all year and he looked like his old self against the Jets defense.

Getting cut up by that bottom 5 offense probably doesn't bode well for their record at the end of the season

They have their eyes on the prize, and since their coach is Adam Gase that's an awful lot of eyes.

Reactions: Blitzkrug

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If it was anyone but the Jets you’d be questioning a deep pass on first down when you need to milk the clock. But at least Flacco sent the ball 54 yards from the LOS. At Jets 18 and NE got the ball at their 28.

but that’s a play you save for later in the series.

as for the D on the game winning FG. Not sure what the point is playing that soft past their own 35 yard line.

but there is a payoff to the organization being this bad. Just no payoff for the coaching staff who will be replaced.

Reactions: qwerty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad