NFL GDT: Week 9

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If anyone thinks the Raiders weren't tanking they should probably read this.

“I challenged our draft picks, rookies, all of them,” coach Jon Gruden said. “I challenged really the last three draft classes. We need to get more out of our young players here.”

Gruden, who was introduced as the Raiders coach in January, gave a particularly stern warning to his veterans: “If the young guys don’t start following you guys, you’ll be playing in all four preseason games.

“We’ve got some great role models. I want our young guys to stay on the gas pedal, be smart in what they do in the offseason and try to keep their football very close to them; keep studying, keep training and getting mentally and physically fresh. If we do that, we’ll have a chance.”

Jon Gruden gave the Raiders homework ahead of training camp

He basically said the team had to be nearly perfect in order to have a chance to be competitive. A lot of those guys who were in the 2016 and 17 draft classes didn't make it out of camp.

Also, in preseason the execution on both sides was basically non-existent. Coaches can put players in positions to succeed and Guenther has had good ideas, but if they can't shed blocks they're going to get torched.

Reactions: Il Mediano

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah , it was an old , below average roster , with 3 empty draft classes.

Anyone with a brain knows a dude with a 10 year deal is gunna tear down that crap.

People should point their finger at Mckenzie if they want a real scape goat. He's been awful for a while now.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They are also legitimately starting from scratch again. It is incredibly likely that Gruden will not successful as it is practically impossible to do it this way. The only way to even slightly have a chance is to keep those five first round picks in pocket and not use any of them to move up.

The fact is this shouldn't have happened. It's a comedy of errors at this point.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If anyone thinks the Raiders weren't tanking they should probably read this.

Jon Gruden gave the Raiders homework ahead of training camp

He basically said the team had to be nearly perfect in order to have a chance to be competitive. A lot of those guys who were in the 2016 and 17 draft classes didn't make it out of camp.

Also, in preseason the execution on both sides was basically non-existent. Coaches can put players in positions to succeed and Guenther has had good ideas, but if they can't shed blocks they're going to get torched.

Our last 3 draft classes have been bad, 2015-2017 were horrible.
More busts than anything.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Yeah , it was an old , below average roster , with 3 empty draft classes.

Anyone with a brain knows a dude with a 10 year deal is gunna tear down that crap.

People should point their finger at Mckenzie if they want a real scape goat. He's been awful for a while now.

McKenzie will be out of here come game 16, some hits on free agency but a ton of misses.
Draft picks? The last 3 year draft classes is a clear indication of the scouting on this team..bad.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
It is incredibly likely that Gruden will not successful as it is practically impossible to do it this way. The only way to even slightly have a chance is to keep those five first round picks in pocket and not use any of them to move up..

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The only way to actually fix the mess is to do it through the draft. I'd be more worried as a Raiders fan if Gruden didn't show the balls to tear it down.

The biggest concern right now is Carr , not Gruden relying on the draft.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Over the last few years didn't even try to address certain positions with young players. I love Beast Mode but you can pick a lot of positions where they decided to rely on old players from 2015-17 and it blew up in their faces. Reggie Nelson, Sean Smith, and Navorro Bowman were all trash. Bruce Irvin was average and is now trash.

Then you think about the bust picks. Jihad Ward, Karl Joseph, Mario Edwards Jr., Clive Walford, Shilique Calhoun, Connor Cook, Obi Melifonwu, Gareon Conley.

This season is directly linked to those mistakes. Gruden was left with the option of sending all these busts out there or signing older free agents to fill space. He chose the latter. The team being bad now is because of previous decisions.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
McKenzie will be out of here come game 16, some hits on free agency but a ton of misses.
Draft picks? The last 3 year draft classes is a clear indication of the scouting on this team..bad.

Oh yeah , McKenzie was gone as soon as Gruden was hired. Davis is just loyal to Reggie.

Who Gruden hires to be his personnel guy is just as important as any of those draft picks. He needs to knock that hire outta the park. And finding someone to work in that role and in unison with Gruden won't be easy.

Gotta nail it , and then they need to nail the crap outta the 2019 draft. The first pick probably won't be overly difficult at this point. Bosa is likely a Raider.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The only way to actually fix the mess is to do it through the draft. I'd be more worried as a Raiders fan if Gruden didn't show the balls to tear it down.

The biggest concern right now is Carr , not Gruden relying on the draft.

I mean that I really don't see a coach being around for four seasons of losing football. Bosa, a great MLB, and a #1 WR could change things rapidly though.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Then you think about the bust picks. Jihad Ward, Karl Joseph, Mario Edwards Jr., Clive Walford, Shilique Calhoun, Connor Cook, Obi Melifonwu, Gareon Conley.

This.

Look at these recent draft picks, Karl Joseph and Gareon Conley were first round picks too.
Injured, can't play, just a cluster of terrible draft decisions.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I mean that I really don't see a coach being around for four seasons of losing football. Bosa, a great MLB, and a #1 WR could change things rapidly though.

Ah , gotcha. I think Gruden is there for the long haul , and I think you'll be better as soon as next season. I don't think this team is winning more than 3 games , and likely no more than 2 this season.

To me , even when you get much younger , it won't be as low as this season.

I'd look at this roster as the 2018 draft class , the O-line , a bunch of stop-gaps , and whatever he decides to with Carr.

He's gunna purge the crap outta this roster , as he should.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
This.

Look at these recent draft picks, Karl Joseph and Gareon Conley were first round picks too.
Injured, can't play, just a cluster of terrible draft decisions.

Yeah, one disastrous draft class is bad enough ... but 3 consecutively? That's suicide.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
He's gunna purge the crap outta this roster , as he should.

That was a given heading into this season, this team had numerous bad players at multiple positions. McKenzie's mess is going to be Gruden's first thing on the table (he's already doing it already).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
You think?

I imagine he's got at least 2 years , regardless of the record.

I think we'll be able to tell very quickly whether or not he can coach the team up. Don't think he'd be fired by week 5 but I think we'd know what direction things are headed in. Marked improvements, particularly with three first round picks, will be heavily expected. Those three first rounders will also need to contribute immediately.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I think we'll be able to tell very quickly whether or not he can coach the team up. Don't think he'd be fired by week 5 but I think we'd know what direction things are headed in. Marked improvements, particularly with three first round picks, will be heavily expected. Those three first rounders will also need to contribute immediately.

Mmm , there's just sooo many holes on the roster , and if he does it right (which is a total youth movement , with selective veteran stop-gaps, imo) , then I wouldn't be expecting a ton next year either.

Things can change fast in the NFL , I just hope Gruden exercises patience. Build a young team and let them grow.

Carr isn't good enough to worry about expediting the process, imo.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Bills may have something to say about Raiders picking first. Would be mildly surprised if Bills win another game. I can see Raiders winning again.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Remind me again why Jack Del Rio is still not the Raiders coach. That guy knew what he was doing. Made progress his first 2 years. Last year was a step back, but 26 wins in 3 years did not merit a firing.

He deserved at least 1 more year. If you fire him after 4 yrs, fine.

Gruden is making Del Rio look like a god.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad