Jan 20, 2016
Wednesday
:starsVS :flames

Friday
:kings VS :flames
Sunday
:flames @ :hawks

Story-lines:

• Have the Flames broke their bad habits of playing down to their rivals level?
  • Will Smith or Rittich play against Dallas?
  • How bad is Valimaki's injury and are we due for a spate of injury woes?
  • Can the Flames take 3 of 4 taking control of their own destiny?
  • The Flames should expect to win all three and anything less than two would be a huge disappointment.
  • Calgary has a great opportunity to put distance between themselves and the rest of the Division. The Sharks play Buffalo and the Leafs on back to back nights and with Buffalo playing as well as they are the Sharks would be hard pressed to keep up with the Flames.
Friday's Consensus Power Rankings

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I love power rankings.Leafs aren't even first in their division, but are considered the 2nd best team in in terms of power rankings :laugh:

One thing that now that the shoes on the other foot, loser points are really frustrating. Calgary is 5 wins above loses; Anaheim is even. 4 point separate the two teams. Dallas is 2 wins above loses, 3 points separate us from them.

Dallas is a good team. The other two are really struggling. Flames had a 9 game stretch where they only really played 1 elite team (Winnipeg).

With Montreal, Edmonton, Vegas x2, Arizona, Dallas, LA and Chicago rounding out the rest.

So far in that 9 game stretch they are: 4-2.
This 9 game stretch could be a great opportunity to make some serious space in the division. It doesn't get easy after that, Jackets, Wild and Preds; all three are fantastic teams.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I love power rankings.Leafs aren't even first in their division, but are considered the 2nd best team in in terms of power rankings :laugh:

One thing that now that the shoes on the other foot, loser points are really frustrating. Calgary is 5 wins above loses; Anaheim is even. 4 point separate the two teams. Dallas is 2 wins above loses, 3 points separate us from them.

Dallas is a good team. The other two are really struggling. Flames had a 9 game stretch where they only really played 1 elite team (Winnipeg).

With Montreal, Edmonton, Vegas x2, Arizona, Dallas, LA and Chicago rounding out the rest.

This 9 game stretch could be a great opportunity to make some serious space in the division. It doesn't get easy after that, Jackets, Wild and Preds; all three are fantastic teams.
I never pay attention to power rankings... so subjective. Its like choosing "Flavor of the Month" at the Marble Slab Creamery.

This is the only power ranking I care about....
Capture.JPG

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Loser points seem like they've been more detrimental to the Flames than not most years, with the current core. If it gets to OT, they have one of the more successful groups in the league at putting the game away, so it doesn't seem like they get a ton of OT losses.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think the Flames should alternate goalies every game for a while. This is to get the number of games up for Rittich and prove that he can be the number 1 next year (or not). At the same time it will allow Smitty the practice time to ensure bad habits don't creep into his game. Having said that I have a suspicion that Smitty will get the start against Dallas.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sure Smith won and played well against the Yotes but you have to admit that the Yotes are a disaster of a team and the game really isn't that good of a indicator on how Smith is progressing.

I'd like to see the following for the next 10 games:

Dallas (12-10-2) - Nov 28 - Rittich
LA (8-14-1) - Nov 30 - Smith
Chicago (9-10-5) - Dec 2 - Smith

Columbus (13-8-2) - Dec 4 - Rittich
Minnesota (14-7-2) - Dec 6 - Rittich

Nashville (17-6-1) - Dec 8 - Rittich

Edmonton (10-11-2) - Dec 9 - Smith

Philly (10-11-2) - Dec 12 - Rittich

Minnesota (14-7-2) Dec 15 - Rittich
StL (8-11-3) Dec 16 - Smith

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Sure Smith won and played well against the Yotes but you have to admit that the Yotes are a disaster of a team and the game really isn't that good of a indicator on how Smith is progressing.

I'd like to see the following for the next 10 games:

Dallas (12-10-2) - Nov 28 - Rittich
LA (8-14-1) - Nov 30 - Smith
Chicago (9-10-5) - Dec 2 - Smith

Columbus (13-8-2) - Dec 4 - Rittich
Minnesota (14-7-2) - Dec 6 - Rittich

Nashville (17-6-1) - Dec 8 - Rittich

Edmonton (10-11-2) - Dec 9 - Smith

Philly (10-11-2) - Dec 12 - Rittich

Minnesota (14-7-2) Dec 15 - Rittich
StL (8-11-3) Dec 16 - Smith
I like the play until you lose motto right now unless there is back-to-backs. On the bright side if Rittich stays hot and Smith can get his crap together Smith might not be tired for once when the season ends making for a good playoff run.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I would rather see how the next stretch of games goes and evaluate after before putting Smith anywhere near a motivated McDavid & Oilers squad up in Edmonton. That game in particular has me slightly concerned.

Reactions: Cyrano

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I would go back to Rittich for Dallas, he has earned the team's nod. I also don't think that it will jeopardize Smith's ego at this point- toss him back in against a weakling like LA so he can get another good win. Then I think we should absolutely go with play until you lose, unless or until Smith or Rittich go really cold then lean on the other more heavily.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Only real tough game is Dallas. Dallas' top line is a powerhouse, but I like our depth better. We should stomp LA now that our offence is going again and Chicago got worse with the trade because Strome blows and Perlini is meh.

Would be fine with a 2-1 record, but obviously hoping for 3-0. Flames need to start proving to the NHL that they are an elite team, which means stringing together a lot of wins and pushing our record to match Nashville, Tampa, Buffalo, etc. and leave our shit division in our rear view mirror.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Only real tough game is Dallas. Dallas' top line is a powerhouse, but I like our depth better. We should stomp LA now that our offence is going again and Chicago got worse with the trade because Strome blows and Perlini is meh.

Would be fine with a 2-1 record, but obviously hoping for 3-0. Flames need to start proving to the NHL that they are an elite team, which means stringing together a lot of wins and pushing our record to match Nashville, Tampa, Buffalo, etc. and leave our **** division in our rear view mirror.

If recent history is of any relevance we should be more concerned of the Chicago and LA games. For whatever reason the Flames have a hard time bringing their A game for lesser teams. Recent examples are the Rangers, Vegas on Friday, St. Louis, and Anaheim.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Recent examples are the Rangers, Vegas on Friday, St. Louis, and Anaheim.
Vegas is currently in a playoff spot. If we beat them they wouldn't be, but hard to say a team in a playoff spot is really a lesser team.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Vegas is currently in a playoff spot. If we beat them they wouldn't be, but hard to say a team in a playoff spot is really a lesser team.
I was generally speaking from an overall depth and talent pool level. Vegas has good depth but their high end skill levels on the back end and in the forwards is not even close to Calgary's. Calgary is faster (and that says a lot because Vegas was noted for their speed all last season).

I am very grateful for Vegas's run last year because it showed Tre and many other managers that focusing on team speed and skill was a good recipe for success. Fortunately for us the Flames team was on the whole was fairly easy to adapt. After we traded Hamilton and Ferly for Hanifin, and Lindholm Tre signed Ryan and Czarnik. The most fortunate circumstance though was likely having Dube, Valimaki and Andersson in the organizations development system. I really like this shift in roster design.

Vegas' entry draft and inaugural year was game changing.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Dallas Game day:

Starting Line-up:

Story Lines:
  • Dallas is playing a back-to-back and if the Flames come out strong it should wear down the Stars.
  • The Stars will be hungry however after being shutout 1 - 0.
  • Calgary has played really well at home since the Pittsburgh Fiasco and are 6th in the league at home for their PP.
  • Kylington and Czarnik are both in the line-up for the injured players Frolik and Valimaki.
  • Look for Kylington to step up to put his name into the conversation for a full-time roster spot.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Dallas's 32 year old backup goalie is playing B2B games. I guess they don't trust Bow the backup to the backup.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Game 1 Dallas Vs Calgary - Game ranking 8/10 (Despite losing the Flames played very well.)
After a couple of extra days off at home the Flames came out a little flat in the first period while the Stars looked inspired after losing 1-0 in overtime. Jank's line was the only line that was giving any kind of push back and were rewarded with a goal evening things up.

The second period was the beginning of the Khudobin show. The only reason the Stars stayed in the game was Khudobin as he stoned HDSC one after the other with a strong glove and great positioning. When Hamonic took his penalty the Stars PP made the Flames pay quickly.

As is customary when the Flames are down in the third period Peters threw the lines in the blender moving Chucky up to the first line, Lindholm to a line with Janks and Neal onto Back's line. The third period was all Flames and if it were not for Khudobin as I said earlier this game would have been over.

The defense and the goaltending where being called out post game but neither was horrible. Benn, Seguin, Radulov, and Spezza are insanely talented players and when the goalie is playing so well to steal a game star players are at their best. Unfortunately for Calgary they scored first.

Neal in my mind is just has the monkey on his back and when the dam breaks it will be crazy. He was skating, hitting the gaps, and placing shots well but Khudobin or a last second stick robbed Neal of a multi-goal night.

Best player has to be Jankowski as he was a presence all night long defensively and offensively.

Look for Smith to start against LA.

Total week points thus far 1 out of 2

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
LA Game day:

Starting Line-up:
FORWARDS

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Elias Lindholm
Matthew Tkachuk - Mikael Backlund - Sam Bennett
James Neal - Derek Ryan - Austin Czarnik
Ryan Lomberg - Mark Jankowski - Garnet Hathaway
DEFENCE

Mark Giordano - TJ Brodie
Noah Hanifin - Travis Hamonic
Oliver Kylington - Rasmus Andersson
GOALIES

Mike Smith
David Rittich

Story Lines:
  • LA is playing a back-to-back and if the Flames come out strong it should wear down the Kings.
  • LA Lost 3-2 last night in Edmonton.
  • The Flames can not afford to have another so-so game and need to start putting W's in the win column
  • Mangiapane has been recalled from Stockton - No word on if he will be playing tonight,
  • Frolik will not play tonight as he suffered a minor set back.
  • No word on Valimaki's status for tonight's contest.

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
5/6 points on the week, not too bad at all.

The Dallas game was kind of a one-off I feel, the Flames were basically just going through the motions early on and were uncharacteristically leaky on defense through the whole game. The fact they "managed" to get a point against a team that had played the night before was concerning, questionable OT goal or not.

Flames put on the burners against LA, completely owning every aspect of the game. Held the Kings to 14 (I think?) shots. Much better effort. A well-deserved 2 points. Credit to Pederson as the score looks lopsided but it was a one-goal game until a pair of empty netters by Calgary. Smith wasn't spectacular but he made the saves he needed to make.

Finally, the game I was probably the most nervous for, personally. I went back and forth in my head a lot over which goalie I thought should have started and I decided I would have preferred Rittich initially. But Smith was great, probably one of the biggest reasons the Flames came out with the win honestly. He's rounding back into form and seems to do better in general when there's lots of pucks going his way. Which I guess is good because the Flames were back to being very porous defensively. Luckily they actually took advantage of a 5 minute power play and gave Smith all the offense he needed. Scorpion's back on the menu, folks.

All in all, a less than impressive week when you break it down, but the Flames played well enough to get more points which is huge with the Ducks right on their heels, as well as creating some separation between themselves and the free-falling Sharks and warming-up Oilers and Knights. I'm confident they will continue to improve over the next stretch; however, this was a week of "easier" games and the next stretch of opponents are all higher up in the standings.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Week 9 Wrap-up

Going into week 9 the Flames were battling for the Division lead with San Jose. 3 Games later and the Flames have found a resurgent foe from the last decade and a half come back into the picture as the Ducks have rode a 4 game winning streak leaving the Flames 1 point up on the Ducks with 2 games in hand.

After 2 lackluster wins under their belt the Flames must know they have to play better if they are going to vie for the Division title. With 5 out of a possible 6 points the Flames should be happy with this weeks results but moving forward to games against Columbus, Nashville, Minnesota, and the floundering Oilers of the north the team will need to bring their A game.

Neal was particularly impressive against Chicago and how he walked out of town with only a point is almost dumbfounding though his smile is still there.

Injuries:
  • Frolik (LBI) suffered a set-back and is still week-to-week.
  • Valimaki's LBI has not been talked about much but what started as maintenance days then day-to-day is now being looked at in weeks.
  • Mike Stone (clot) is presumably out for a prolonged period of time.
  • Garnet Hathaway went down in the third period of the Chicago game and in the penalty box was tapping his shoulder. Depending on the severity of his injury he could be down anywhere from weeks to months. The look on his face did not bode well.
  • Travis Hamonic had his nose busted by Kunitz in Chicago and if he wouldn't have been wearing the protective cage the injury could have been much worse. Travis is likely day-to-day with swelling being Travis' major complication. Would be surprised if Kunitz walks away with less than a 5 gave suspension after that attack on an already injured player.
The Good
After being called out by Peters after the Dallas game the first line played a much better games against LA and Chicago dominating much of the play. Neal has been consistently good for the better parts of 2 weeks and is looking more dangerous with every game. Mike Smith has been performing well for his last three starts and will likely start again in Columbus.

The Bad
Injuries are starting to affect the defensive play with Valimaki out and Hamonic dinged up in Chicago. As Mony said in his intermission interview the forwards are getting into the bad habit of cheating towards the offensive side of the puck again and need to rectify that issue. Bennett, Backlund and Tkachuk have been playing poorly often losing the advanced stats battle. They must tighten up defensively and get back to the hard work they are known for. Bennett in particular has not been as disciplined in the last couple games and has let his game drop in favor of offensive chances in which he still is not finishing on.

It is time for the Flames to baton down the hatches and get ready for the upper echelon in the league. The sloppy play of the last 3 games will come back to haunt the Flames if they do not. If the Flames can keep stacking up the W's for the next 2 weeks they will position themselves nicely for a run at the Division title and ultimately a deep playoff run.

Total week points 5 out of 6

Reactions: Janks

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Just a side note - I really really like this thread as a recap for the week, and something to look forward to for the coming week when it's first posted. Keeps things in perspective. Good job @SKRusty

Reactions: SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Just a side note - I really really like this thread as a recap for the week, and something to look forward to for the coming week when it's first posted. Keeps things in perspective. Good job @SKRusty
Thank @Janks
In fact I was contemplating not 15 minutes ago if I was contributing something that people valued.

Reactions: Janks and Khrox

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad