NFL GDT: Week 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Goes by strength of schedule. If all three teams stay at one win the order could shift based on the other teams they’ve played and have yet to play.
So, strength of schedule is the next tie-breaker after win percentage when determining the overall standings? Any idea if those supersede in-division tie-breakers when two teams are from the same division are tied in league-wide standings? Or are the playoff tie-breaker rules completely different from non-playoff ones? It's just so darn difficult to wrap ones head around.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The draft is going to be weak anyway. The first 5 picks are likely to be linemen and when your line sucks as bad as the giants one guy isn’t really going to help. They may need to make a big trade to get one of the other top 5 picks

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The Giants schedule has been insanely hard. Unlike Washington Philly and Dallas who have a hard schedule late theirs wasn’t harder earlier which is usually worse

Haven’t verified the numbers, but if ESPN is accurate in placing the Giants lower then Arizona and San Fran that would mean the Giants opponents so far this season have the lowest winning % among the three teams.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The draft is going to be weak anyway. The first 5 picks are likely to be linemen and when your line sucks as bad as the giants one guy isn’t really going to help. They may need to make a big trade to get one of the other top 5 picks

The QB class sucks. The rest of the draft is really good. The Giants might want to take Greg Little or Jonah Williams. Most of the pressure comes from Solder's side.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So, strength of schedule is the next tie-breaker after win percentage when determining the overall standings? Any idea if those supersede in-division tie-breakers when two teams are from the same division are tied in league-wide standings? Or are the playoff tie-breaker rules completely different from non-playoff ones? It's just so darn difficult to wrap ones head around.

Strength of Schedule is the main tie breaker in determining draft order when teams have the same record. The playoff tie breakers are lengthy, but I don’t think strength of schedule is one of them.

I don’t know if ESPN has their playoff or draft order correct or not based on tie breakers. Just giving them the benefit of the doubt if they do have the rules correct.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Strength of Schedule is the main tie breaker in determining draft order when teams have the same record. The playoff tie breakers are lengthy, but I don’t think strength of schedule is one of them.

I don’t know if ESPN has their playoff or draft order correct or not based on tie breakers. Just giving them the benefit of the doubt if they do have the rules correct.
Thanks, that clarifies it for me.

Sep 19, 2008
Relishing the Giants struggles over the last few years. :laugh: So much chaos on the BS podcast and various ESPN platforms about how it was a mistake to draft Saquon and maybe the Giants should have drafted a successor for Eli. What make them think Eli gonna be around for the next 4 or 5 years?

Curious if Giants would be improved if Darnold was drafted. Sure, maybe they are still bad in 2018. But Darnold sits and learns. When he is ready he will be able to lead the Giants to wins. Instead you have a QB situation that is uncertain for the future and a stud RB who runs behind a nonexistent offensive line.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
A TON of fans from last night's game are really peeved at Booger's seat/crane that's blocking about half the field depending on where you're sitting. A buddy of mine who got 4 corporate seats down low said that everyone was yelling at him. They put a TV on the other side, but it's the actual broadcast (why not stay home if that's what you're going to see?) so it's on a tape delay. Those seats are expensive as hell. I'd be pissed too.

Sakicfan

Oct 30, 2006
Google says 47.9%, but obviously some teams are going to be better at it than others, and I'm just guessing from the general state of the Giants they're probably not one of those teams.

When losing by 8 points like the Giants were after their TD, your odds of completing the 2-pt conversion only have to be higher than 39.2% to give you a better chance of winning than kicking the XP.

It was the correct call and it should be common sense for teams to go for 2 when they are losing by 8 in the 4th quarter. The analytics behind this are quite simple.

Let's say that a team gets 40% of their 2-pt conversion. The team is losing by 2 TDs in the 4th quarter. If we assume that the team succeeds into getting two TDs, it should absolutely go for 2 after the first TD.

Doing so, they have 40% chances of trailing by 6 after the first TD. In that scenario, they kick the XP after the second touchdown and win by 1.

However, they'll also be trailing by 8 60% of the times since they missed their conversion. Obviously that is not good, but they still get a chance to tie the game by going for 2 after the second TD. In fact, their chances of having a tie game after their two TDs are 60% * 40% = 24% and their chances of losing are 60% * 60% = 36%.

In short, assuming that the team succeeds in getting the two TDs (and obviously that the other team does not get any additional points), if they go for 2 after the first TD, they have 40% chance of winning, 24% chance of going to overtime and 36% chance of losing the game. Those are better odds of winning the game than kicking the XP and sending the game to overtime.

And that is even if you are bad at getting 2-pt conversion (40% chance of doing it). With odds of 48% of getting the 2-pt, the odds change to 48% of winning the game, 25% of going to overtime and 27% of losing.

Last edited:
Reactions: m9

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Relishing the Giants struggles over the last few years. :laugh: So much chaos on the BS podcast and various ESPN platforms about how it was a mistake to draft Saquon and maybe the Giants should have drafted a successor for Eli. What make them think Eli gonna be around for the next 4 or 5 years?

Curious if Giants would be improved if Darnold was drafted. Sure, maybe they are still bad in 2018. But Darnold sits and learns. When he is ready he will be able to lead the Giants to wins. Instead you have a QB situation that is uncertain for the future and a stud RB who runs behind a nonexistent offensive line.
it's a moot point
they'll get the QB this time
I'm not really quibbling with the decision because it's obvious that Barkley is really good
hell, they might be able to pick up Derek Carr.

Elvis P

Whole cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Ryan was 100% on his last 18 throws.

The Raiders have 3 first round picks. They could trade for Khalil Mack. ;)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
A TON of fans from last night's game are really peeved at Booger's seat/crane that's blocking about half the field depending on where you're sitting. A buddy of mine who got 4 corporate seats down low said that everyone was yelling at him. They put a TV on the other side, but it's the actual broadcast (why not stay home if that's what you're going to see?) so it's on a tape delay. Those seats are expensive as hell. I'd be pissed too.

la-1534374160-y4lxc20cu9-snap-image

la-1534374803-paeg65larr-snap-image

I would certainly be pissed with this thing in my view especially if I paid big $ for those seats

Reactions: m9

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Plus Booger's not good enough to be on tv.

Is Amari Cooper really good enough to make the difference for the Cowboys? If not, was he worth a first rounder? The only thing Gruden cares about right now is dumping salary. The problem is he has a poor draft record.

Actually Booger is better than Witten and Romo and should be in the booth.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
it's a moot point
they'll get the QB this time
I'm not really quibbling with the decision because it's obvious that Barkley is really good
hell, they might be able to pick up Derek Carr.

What QB are they picking? If Herbert stays in school...its looking really ugly.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
What QB are they picking? If Herbert stays in school...its looking really ugly.
who knows?
whomever it is, I hope he doesn't have to start his career behind that carcass of an o-line, which is their real problem

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
who knows?
whomever it is, I hope he doesn't have to start his career behind that carcass of an o-line, which is their real problem

The issue to me is that the biggest issue on the O-line is the most expensive. Solder is a turnstile. If the Giants don't draft Jonah Williams they are goddamn fools.

Sep 19, 2008
I feel sorry for Niners fans. They've been so terrible since Harbaugh left. And there is ZERO hope for the future.

Sep 19, 2008
Sounds like the Giants are just going to sell everyone and blow it up. Can't say I disagree. Harrison already got dealt to Detroit and Apple somewhere else.

Elvis P

Whole cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Goff should be top 6 in the MVP race.

Stanford Bill Walsh to the present QBs get too much credit. Pre-Stanford Bill Walsh QBs don't get enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad