NCAA GDT: Week 7: Showdown in Ann Arbor

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Elite choke artists.

Penn State has only really been elite in the eyes of their fans/alumni. No national titles since 1986. Most years they're overrated, and even in the years where they're legitimately talented they find ways to lose games they shouldn't.

This year's a perfect example. They're good, not great. Almost losing at home to App State for starters. Blowing two double digit leads vs. Ohio State. At home, in the alleged overpowering "white out" environment. Yawn. Then losing to a mediocre, and banged up Michigan State team, again, at home.

Ridiculous. At least ESPN will finally shut up now and stop slathering them in praise every week or mentioning them as someone with a shot to get in the playoffs. As I said before, with rare exceptions they have set themselves up with cushy schedules as the norm, then combined with a weak conference they often look good. But they still find ways to lose games.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Penn State has only really been elite in the eyes of their fans/alumni. No national titles since 1986. Most years they're overrated, and even in the years where they're legitimately talented they find ways to lose games they shouldn't.

This year's a perfect example. They're good, not great. Almost losing at home to App State for starters. Blowing two double digit leads vs. Ohio State. At home, in the alleged overpowering "white out" environment. Yawn. Then losing to a mediocre, and banged up Michigan State team, again, at home.

Ridiculous. At least ESPN will finally shut up now and stop slathering them in praise every week or mentioning them as someone with a shot to get in the playoffs. As I said before, with rare exceptions they have set themselves up with cushy schedules as the norm, then combined with a weak conference they often look good. But they still find ways to lose games.

They've improved their out-of-conference in future years. Virginia Tech, Auburn, West Virginia. They're getting a top SEC program to do a home-and-home, that's like an Act of God.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
They've improved their out-of-conference in future years. Virginia Tech, Auburn, West Virginia. They're getting a top SEC program to do a home-and-home, that's like an Act of God.

Not necessarily. Florida plays FSU every year, the occasional Miami in there. Alabama has played Michigan, Va Tech, Wisconsin, USC, Florida State in recent years and has USC, Miami and Texas on future schedules. Georgia has played Colorado, Boise, Clemson often, and Notre Dame. Auburn plays Clemson every year almost and added Washington. LSU has played West Virginia, Wisconsin, Oregon, TCU and Miami.

The point is Penn State. They've had cushy schedules for years, long before the sanctions hit. I posted all this weeks ago. Other than a home and home with Bama in 2010-11 and ND a couple years before that, they've had mostly weak schedules year in and year out. It sets them up for success esp. with a sub-par Big-10 but they haven't done anything with it. This year proves my point exactly. They play nobodies out of conference, almost lose to App State at home, then can't get the job done when they finally do play someone good. Even having a late double digit lead. Then they compound it by losing to an average and injury-riddled MSU team. Yet for some reason people talk about them like they're this great elite program.

That's great they're starting to add teams. It's about time. Beating up on the Coastal Carolinas of the world and then basically having to only beat Ohio State (and Michigan sometimes I guess) to get in the playoff is pretty cheesy. But the matter is settled for this year.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Seeing the conversation here. How many teams have an sec home and home scheduled with teams? I know we have 2 right now, with potentially 3 coming.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Seeing the conversation here. How many teams have an sec home and home scheduled with teams? I know we have 2 right now, with potentially 3 coming.

I know that Arizona State has three (Mississippi State, Texas A&M and LSU), but I'm not sure on the years.

Mississippi State: '24 and '25
Texas A&M: '26 and '27
LSU: '29 and '30

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

NC State has one with Mississippi State that was agreed to after LSU backed out. I think they've also got a future H&H with Vanderbilt.

Clemson hosts Texas A&M next year.

Georgia went to Notre Dame last season, believe the Irish go to Athens next season.

Off the top of my head thats what I know.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
NC State has one with Mississippi State that was agreed to after LSU backed out. I think they've also got a future H&H with Vanderbilt.

Clemson hosts Texas A&M next year.

Georgia went to Notre Dame last season, believe the Irish go to Athens next season.

Off the top of my head thats what I know.
Alabama laid the smack down on down Penn State in a home and home series back in 2010 and 2011.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Texas comes in at 7. Still will have to play #13 and maybe #9 once more.

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I know the bye week can be tough sometimes but didn't think they were good enough to warrant Oklahoma jumping UCF after getting past it. Oklahoma makes 5 teams with a loss ahead of UCF. I don't think UCF can go undefeated two years in a row but the voters are making it obvious they don't want them in the top 4 if they do.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->