NCAA GDT: Week 6

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For a team that wants to be playoff contender, Udub is letting some average to bad teams stay with them way too long. Wouldn't surprise me to see them lose to the Ducks Saturday
I think they will.

But I hadn't realized they hadn't won in UCLA in 23 years

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Getting into that top 4 is going to be tough for the Irish, but damn they're really playing great.

Saban not too happy with giving up 31 points, and he shouldn't be.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
For a team that wants to be playoff contender, Udub is letting some average to bad teams stay with them way too long. Wouldn't surprise me to see them lose to the Ducks Saturday

Well Oregon is better than they are so...Oregon is a fumble away from being undefeated.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
Getting into that top 4 is going to be tough for the Irish, but damn they're really playing great.

Saban not too happy with giving up 31 points, and he shouldn't be.

If they go undefeated they'll be in. I don't often agree with Herbstreit who almost reluctantly at the end of the game last night said for sure they'd be in if they run the table. They'll be heavy favorites in all of their remaining games, and unless USC improves a bunch, I don't see any more potential L's on their schedule barring a complete collapse. They've also beaten three ranked teams (two in blowouts), which is more than any of the current unbeatens and more than I believe all the serious one loss teams.

But look at who's left among the unbeatens. Alabama is legit good, but they've beaten one ranked team. Of course they have LSU, Auburn and the potential SEC title game to come. Clemson hasn't beaten any ranked teams, and only has one more (current #23 NC State) left on their schedule. Georgia's only ranked win is vs. #24 South Carolina, and they have a ton of obstacles ahead. LSU, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn.

Ohio State has two ranked wins and one more on the schedule with Michigan, if they're still ranked at the end of the year. The Big-10 is pretty bad of course overall so they may be just stuck with those two ranked wins but they should run the table.

Then you get into the weeds with all the other potential possibilities. LSU, Oklahoma have better shots than say a Washington or Penn State who haven't beaten anyone good, lost the chances they had to get a marquee win, and don't have any high profile opponents left that would really move the needle. Someone like West Virginia or Texas could make noise.

Long story short if I had to guess today, ND is in along with OSU. I'd say if anyone gets bounced it should be Clemson. No ranked wins (pending NC State next week) and they barely escaped a Syracuse team that just lost to a horrible Pitt team at home. But Alabama and Georgia have a lot of tough games left, so still a lot of football left to play.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
If they go undefeated they'll be in. I don't often agree with Herbstreit who almost reluctantly at the end of the game last night said for sure they'd be in if they run the table. They'll be heavy favorites in all of their remaining games, and unless USC improves a bunch, I don't see any more potential L's on their schedule barring a complete collapse. They've also beaten three ranked teams (two in blowouts), which is more than any of the current unbeatens and more than I believe all the serious one loss teams.

But look at who's left among the unbeatens. Alabama is legit good, but they've beaten one ranked team. Of course they have LSU, Auburn and the potential SEC title game to come. Clemson hasn't beaten any ranked teams, and only has one more (current #23 NC State) left on their schedule. Georgia's only ranked win is vs. #24 South Carolina, and they have a ton of obstacles ahead. LSU, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn.

Ohio State has two ranked wins and one more on the schedule with Michigan, if they're still ranked at the end of the year. The Big-10 is pretty bad of course overall so they may be just stuck with those two ranked wins but they should run the table.

Then you get into the weeds with all the other potential possibilities. LSU, Oklahoma have better shots than say a Washington or Penn State who haven't beaten anyone good, lost the chances they had to get a marquee win, and don't have any high profile opponents left that would really move the needle. Someone like West Virginia or Texas could make noise.

Long story short if I had to guess today, ND is in along with OSU. I'd say if anyone gets bounced it should be Clemson. No ranked wins (pending NC State next week) and they barely escaped a Syracuse team that just lost to a horrible Pitt team at home. But Alabama and Georgia have a lot of tough games left, so still a lot of football left to play.
Good analysis. Bama is staying at #1 unless something extra-terrestrial happens. Georgia remains strong at #2, Ohio State and Clemson could drop out indeed, I hope one of them does(Clemson) and lets the Irish in. Will be a fun remaining schedule.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Games like this are when I start to turn on Satterfield. Team looks completely unprepared to play, dropping passes left and right and taking stupid penalties. The play calling is completely uninspired and they just ran a 1 yard out route on 3rd and 11.

Jalin Moore, one of the best RBs in school history and a potential future NFL draft pick, had his ankle mangled on a TD run. f*** football on Tuesdays.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Has any reason ever been given as to why there are Tuesday games? I'm assuming the kids ended up missing 2 or 3 days worth of classes to travel to Arkansas, what is the point of this?

Reactions: DaveG

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Has any reason ever been given as to why there are Tuesday games? I'm assuming the kids ended up missing 2 or 3 days worth of classes to travel to Arkansas, what is the point of this?

App State preps for Tuesday game – The North State Journal

The odd scheduling is a product of a contractual agreement that gives ESPN exclusive access to Sun Belt football games.

Most of that content is offered to viewers via the network’s digital platform. In an effort to increase viewership, some of the games that are selected to be shown on traditional broadcast television are played on Tuesdays or Wednesdays — nights on which no other football is on.

“We regularly work with our league partners on ways to expand the distribution of content across our various platforms,” ESPN programming director Brent Colborne told Sports Pro Media. “The incremental events added from the expansion with the Sun Belt is a great complement to our current long-term agreement with the conference.”

That eight-year deal, signed in June, will increase the amount of money received by each league school from the reported $100,000 per school was getting under the previous contract.

We're obviously off until a week from Saturday, but then after that we get to play Georgia Southern on a Thursday in a short week. This is dumb. Just play on Saturdays.

At least they got their shit together. 21-9 now after a few long balls and Ark State turnovers. This could be a conference championship preview since that side of things is pretty mediocre.

Reactions: DaveG

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
App State preps for Tuesday game – The North State Journal

We're obviously off until a week from Saturday, but then after that we get to play Georgia Southern on a Thursday in a short week. This is dumb. Just play on Saturdays.

At least they got their **** together. 21-9 now after a few long balls and Ark State turnovers. This could be a conference championship preview since that side of things is pretty mediocre.

So money is the reason. Shocking.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
So money is the reason. Shocking.

Money and exposure, what school or conference wouldn't want that? Obviously the Sun Belt is low on the totem pole so they have to take what they can get to be on TV and get that revenue. Being on ESPN or ESPN 2 even if on a Tuesday is better than not being on TV at all.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Pollsters are too busy putting bad teams like Virginia Tech back into the top 25 only for them to predictably drop back out a week later, I guess.

They don't even look at the school name, they just look to see what conference their in. Oh your in the SEC yet haven't beaten a team with a winning record and you've lost but it was to another SEC team which doesn't really count, you must be pretty good.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Pollsters are too busy putting bad teams like Virginia Tech back into the top 25 only for them to predictably drop back out a week later, I guess.

You win, you move up. You lose, you move down.

#10 Team X beats unranked Southwestern Arkansas State (just made something up) at home by 30. #5 Team Y loses to #1 Alabama on the road by 1. Team X is ahead of Team Y in the next poll.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

#10 Team X beats unranked Southwestern Arkansas State (just made something up) at home by 30. #5 Team Y loses to #1 Alabama on the road by 1. Team X is ahead of Team Y in the next poll.
I understand all of this very well.

Virginia Tech got embarrassed by a bad Old Dominion team. Unless they beat a top 5 team or something, they had no business going back into the top 25 so soon. Beating a Duke team ranked 22nd that probably would lose to a team like App State themselves isn't enough to vault them back into the top 25 after such a loss like losing to Old Dominion. I could maybe understand Virginia Tech being ranked again if they upset Notre Dame as well, or even if they lost to Notre Dame in a close one (it wasn't close) and won their next 3-4 games.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I understand all of this very well.

Virginia Tech got embarrassed by a bad Old Dominion team. Unless they beat a top 5 team or something, they had no business going back into the top 25 so soon. Beating a Duke team ranked 22nd that probably would lose to a team like App State themselves isn't enough to vault them back into the top 25 after such a loss like losing to Old Dominion. I could maybe understand Virginia Tech being ranked again if they upset Notre Dame as well, or even if they lost to Notre Dame in a close one (it wasn't close) and won their next 3-4 games.

I don't take the polls seriously at all, but unfortunately, human bias will always be involved.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

That's not true. Auburn was ranked 7th in week 3 and lost to LSU and only dropped to 9th so not all the teams behind them who beat up on a no name team passed them. Penn State did similar when they lost to OSU the only dropped a few spots so not all teams behind them passed them. You get more credit for your quality of loses than wins it seems.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

We've done both of these and haven't gotten there yet despite being 40-10 in our in our last 50 FBS games. 3 of those loses came to Power 5 schools on missed game-winning kicks as regulation expired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad