NFL GDT: Week 4 - Part 2

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Avert your eyes Texas fans.

I'll shed a little light on some of these misses.

Pat Mahomes-Texas did recruit him but as a safety. Nice one Mack

RG3-Texas wanted to make him a receiver. Mack!

Baker Mayfield-From Austin, played for a legendary program..totally ignored because he wasn't 6'4".

Matt Stafford-Was the best high school player in the country and Mack couldn't keep him home.

Ryan Tannehill-Now to be fair, he was a receiver coming out that Mike Sherman turned into a QB.

Andrew Luck-Another Mack miss. Didn't even recruit him.

Derek Carr-Written off because he played in a lowly division. Can't really blame Mack for this one.

Johnny Manziel-This one is complicated. Texas did recruit Johnny but were uneasy about him and Austin off the field and how he played on it.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Mack Brown was at UNC when Brees was coming out of high school and turned him down there too. Blows my mind.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
From 2001-2014: Chiefs were 2-12 on the road vs Denver in the first 14 games KC played at the current stadium. Priest Holmes, Trent Green, Tony Gonzalez, Dick Vermeil, etc. never won here.

They have now won 4 straight times there

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Patrick Mahomes really is something. 2nd and 30 with the game on the line and you throw a 23 yard dart on the run with Von Miller on your heels. Amazing.
This was my favourite play as well. This guy's arm is ridiculous. On the run, game on the line, 23 yard missile to the spot where only his guy could get it. Wow.

Reactions: Habsawce

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Mahomes is a golden God
he's got a "wow" factor going on that I can't remember from any other young QB since Aaron Rodgers replaced Favre [not comparing the two as players]

Reactions: Josepho

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Avert your eyes Texas fans.

I'll shed a little light on some of these misses.

Pat Mahomes-Texas did recruit him but as a safety. Nice one Mack

RG3-Texas wanted to make him a receiver. Mack!

Baker Mayfield-From Austin, played for a legendary program..totally ignored because he wasn't 6'4".

Matt Stafford-Was the best high school player in the country and Mack couldn't keep him home.

Ryan Tannehill-Now to be fair, he was a receiver coming out that Mike Sherman turned into a QB.

Andrew Luck-Another Mack miss. Didn't even recruit him.

Derek Carr-Written off because he played in a lowly division. Can't really blame Mack for this one.

Johnny Manziel-This one is complicated. Texas did recruit Johnny but were uneasy about him and Austin off the field and how he played on it.

Yeah, but we've had Tyrone Swoopes, Colt/Case McCoy, David Ash, Garret Gilbert... and don't sleep on Sam Ehlinger! If the QBs of the last decade are any indication.... We're due?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Yeah, but we've had Tyrone Swoopes, Colt/Case McCoy, David Ash, Garret Gilbert... and don't sleep on Sam Ehlinger! If the QBs of the last decade are any indication.... We're due?

Colt McCoy was good. David Ash probably would have been good but he had his brains scrambled.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Colt McCoy was good. David Ash probably would have been good but he had his brains scrambled.
McCoy was great in college. When I started watching college football in the early 2000's I always heard about how good this Major Applewhite guy was for the Longhorns in previous years (he was gone when I started watching). McCoy CRUSHED his school passing records. The Vince Young years were the most fun though.

The Longhorns were always better at producing runningbacks anyways. Ricky Williams, Earl Campbell, Jamaal Charles, Priest Holmes, even Cedric Benson had some good years in the NFL.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Given how close it was, there's a possibility that the refs have to review the spot to determine forward progress. If the refs ask for a review to determine the spot there would be a 10 second run off since the play was in bounds and the Broncos had no timeouts. So, depending on when the refs ask for the review, the clock may have run out. Think he went down with 11 seconds, but give the refs a second to mark the ball and once it hits 10 seconds left, with a review, the game would end either way.

Probably not enough time to lineup for another play. It was either try the hook&ladder or go for the endzone. They chose the first one, which is creative.

Wonder how many times Sutton has run that play. I've played on a couple teams where I was the "Sutton" and the timing is so, so tough. I'd much rather take an endzone shot.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Probably not enough time to lineup for another play. It was either try the hook&ladder or go for the endzone. They chose the first one, which is creative.

Wonder how many times Sutton has run that play. I've played on a couple teams where I was the "Sutton" and the timing is so, so tough. I'd much rather take an endzone shot.

The first thing about being the hook is securing the catch. He didn't. That's what screwed the timing up.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The first thing about being the hook is securing the catch. He didn't. That's what screwed the timing up.
What really screwed it up was the coverage was so tight, he wouldn't have had time to wait any longer before attempting the pitch, otherwise he would have been tackled. He was already half way to the ground when he had to push the ball towards Sanders.

In the end I guess you're down to a minute percentage of pulling something off. Hail Mary seems like the better play though, you need less things to go right.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

It depends who is teaching it and how it's designed. Some coaches will tell you to secure it then throw it back, others will say to make it more of a touch pass. I think securing it (like you mentioned) is the correct way as it brings the defense closer to the ball carrier which helps the next guy (Sanders) have wider lanes. Your first instinct is to get rid of the ball as quick as possible, which is why I question how many times Sutton has even tried it. On 3rd down I don't mind how Sutton did it because then it's an incomplete pass and the clock stops, but on 4th down it doesn't matter.

What really screwed it up was the coverage was so tight, he wouldn't have had time to wait any longer before attempting the pitch, otherwise he would have been tackled. He was already half way to the ground when he had to push the ball towards Sanders.

In the end I guess you're down to a minute percentage of pulling something off. Hail Mary seems like the better play though, you need less things to go right.

The coverage will probably often be tight though, as since it's a timing play you can't find a soft spot in a zone to sit in as it will screw up the timing with Sanders. You have to run to a spot and if a defensive player is already there then that's too bad, you still have to execute it as is. It's always a fun play to practice and everyone wants to try it during the game.. you just don't see it often at the pro level.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Wow, I knew the Bills were doing poorly through the air, but Kelvin Benjamin has 92 total yards this season? My god

pAdTshJ.png

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
After not throwing a touchdown since Week 1, Case Keenum is now ranked 29th out of 33 f qualified QBs for QBR. The guys he's ahead of?

Josh Allen (rookie)

Sam Bradford (Trash can)

Tyrod Taylor (hurt)

Jimmy Garroppolo (hurt)

QBR's kind of a BS stat like +/- but in some cases, it can be used to show a problem, like how your 36 million dollar QB is actually awful.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Some more thoughts about Josh Allen.

He has an extremely high panic threshold, that might be his biggest problem. He scrambles out of clean pockets with regularity, and almost never climbs the pocket like you are taught to do. Some people that like him compare him to Roethlisburger, but Ben is one of the best in the league at taking hits and staying in the pocket, not flushing out when there's nobody coming.

His accuracy sucks. I think some of it comes from not having a good base, but he just misses a lot of throws. Very low level of confidence about his pro prospects.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

He has an extremely high panic threshold, that might be his biggest problem. He scrambles out of clean pockets with regularity, and almost never climbs the pocket like you are taught to do. Some people that like him compare him to Roethlisburger, but Ben is one of the best in the league at taking hits and staying in the pocket, not flushing out when there's nobody coming.

His accuracy sucks. I think some of it comes from not having a good base, but he just misses a lot of throws. Very low level of confidence about his pro prospects.
Josh needed to sit and learn this year. But for whatever reason the Bills opted to cut mccarron and leave the job with peterman who was terrible. No option at that point but to turn to Allen. Have to worry about him developing David Carr syndrome from getting sacked so much.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

This is a good breakdown. He did this in college a lot. Doesn't have a plan pre-snap.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I think something that is being overlooked in Mahomesmania is Andy Reid and how he let Texas Tech Mahomes run the offense in the 4th quarter. For us that saw him in college that 4th quarter was how he played at TT out of necessity because they were so outmatched in the trenches. It's a credit to Reid that he embraces that side of his game instead of trying to suppress it.

Reactions: Bozle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->