7 Moncton Wildcats (6-2-0-0)
8 Oshawa Generals (4-0-1-0)
9 Gatineau Olympiques (6-2-0-2)
10 Everett Silvertips (3-0-2-0)

Honourable Mention:

Sherbrooke Phoenix (6-3-0-0)
Guelph Storm (4-1-0-0)
Kamloops Blazers (5-2-1-0)

Surprisingly, the list looks eerily similar to what we saw last year. The Hounds are in a league of their own, but it will be interesting to see if the Otters and Gens can hold off teams like Plymouth and Niagara as the year progresses.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
It's early in the season, but if Charlie Graham keeps it up then they can pull ahead of mid-tier teams like Guelph.

Not sure I would consider Guelph a mid-tier team anymore. Apart from the home opener they have played fairly well, and over the last week got a legit top line and top pairing defenceman in Fabbri and Leslie.

The Sault/Erie/Guelph looked to be headed to a dog fight for the confrence crown early on.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Not sure I would consider Guelph a mid-tier team anymore. Apart from the home opener they have played fairly well, and over the last week got a legit top line and top pairing defenceman in Fabbri and Leslie.

The Sault/Erie/Guelph looked to be headed to a dog fight for the confrence crown early on.

I really can't see it, especially if Nurse comes back. The Hounds were right in the mix for first last year and didn't lose much, while the teams you mentioned were gutted. That is reflected in the above rankings.

Guelph and Erie don't have the depth to match up with the Hounds up front and certainly on D (only Leslie would crack the Hounds top 6). A more realistic expectation is to battle Plymouth and Owen Sound for a home playoff spot. I think those will be the top 5 teams. Windsor, London, Sarnia, Saginaw, and Kitchener don't look all that great right now.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I really can't see it, especially if Nurse comes back. The Hounds were right in the mix for first last year and didn't lose much, while the teams you mentioned were gutted. That is reflected in the above rankings.

Guelph and Erie don't have the depth to match up with the Hounds up front and certainly on D (only Leslie would crack the Hounds top 6). A more realistic expectation is to battle Plymouth and Owen Sound for a home playoff spot. I think those will be the top 5 teams. Windsor, London, Sarnia, Saginaw, and Kitchener don't look all that great right now.

Meh. 13 pts back (6.5 wins) over 68 games is about 10% better...not exactly right at the top with London, Erie and Guelph. Also, Guelph had a much tougher schedule than the Soo last year, having to face Erie and London more often, who were also 100+ point teams.

Bias aside, I think you aren't giving enough credit to the Storm. I do happen to agree with you that SSM are the best in the West (maybe the entire OHL), but I'm not sure the gap is as large as you are making it sound. SSM, while scoring a tonne, haven't exactly faced any tough competition yet...Plymouth is I think the best team they have faced, and so far Plymouth isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. Mind you, Guelph hasn't really faced any of the "favourites" either, so perhaps that point it moot.

Also, I think Harpur could crack the SSM top-6, but that's a different discussion, for a different time.

Anyway, as the great Chuck Swirsky used to say, "thats why there's chocolate and vanilla". He also said "onions, onions and more onions...better buy a bushel", but I didn't think that applied here.

Colin Mcdavis*

Erie has more depth than you think. Some great scouting has allowed Erie to obtain some players that flew under the radar. They also just got big mac back on D.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
I would say that Harpur and Baltisberger would crack Soo's top 6.

I hear that Harpur has improved a lot this year, so I'll wait and see on him, but Bouramman looks like a budding star and he was the biggest question mark. At the very least its a tossup between Hore and Harpir, which still supports my point.The depth will be key over a long season. Its' the same thing up front, the Hounds first rounder can't even crack the lineup and he's been great.

Nobody denies the talent of Fabbri, Dickinson, and company. They are great. I just think the depth will come into play over a long season.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Bias aside, I think you aren't giving enough credit to the Storm. I do happen to agree with you that SSM are the best in the West (maybe the entire OHL), but I'm not sure the gap is as large as you are making it sound. SSM, while scoring a tonne, haven't exactly faced any tough competition yet...Plymouth is I think the best team they have faced, and so far Plymouth isn't exactly lighting the world on fire. Mind you, Guelph hasn't really faced any of the "favourites" either, so perhaps that point it moot.

Plymouth and The Soo have not played each other yet.

Greatger

May 11, 2007
I don't recall North Bay listed at all last season (that I remember) but yet we were in the finals
What a Joke

Last edited:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
You must have been the only person who wasn't shocked when the Battalion reached the OHL Finals then?

It's just a list...based on past performance. In no way is it an indicator of whats going to happen, and I'm not sure anyone is pretending it is.

If you want a list of rankings that will correctly show how the season will finish up, you best find yourself a DeLorean!

You going to be in Guelph for the game tonight? Should be a good one!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Point doesn't stand. People were saying Owen Sound was our first big challenge and look what happen there. We got Erie in town on 24th. Guess we will see then.

When I posted that, the Soo were 5-0. Here's who they beat, with current records...

Sarnia (3-3)
Saginaw (3-3)
Niagara (0-6)
Sudbury X 2 (1-7).

I was wrong about WHO they played (Whalers).

The point about them not exactly facing world-beaters stands.

That said, they seemed to easily handle Owen Sound and London this weekend, so perhaps that will change. Personally, I am interested to see them play Erie and Guelph....will be good to see how they stack up!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad