Post-Game Talk: Week 2 - PATRIOTS at Seattle - Pats ran out of time - Seahawks hold on 35-30

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
So I watched the last play again and the previous touchdown 2 minutes earlier because they ran the exact same play. The difference was pretty simple.

On the previous touchdown, Cam had just run it in right behind Shaq Mason. On the final play, Shaq ended up having to turn around to block a guy as he was pulling and so the guy he was supposed to block was left open to tackle Cam. Seattle 100% sold out for the run. That's why there was a free guy coming in that Shaq had to block. I think you know now that you need to install an RPO for that play. Leave the decision up to Cam whether to run it or pass it, but give him the option. You basically leave yourself an escape hatch.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The concern will be health. Whether it's his fault or not, getting nothing from Sony Michel right now. Need to get that going or give Harris a shot. Without some semblance of a traditional running game I doubt Cam makes it through the season.

I know he had the fumble last week but Harry has 13 catches in two games. That is very encouraging.

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The concern will be health. Whether it's his fault or not, getting nothing from Sony Michel right now. Need to get that going or give Harris a shot. Without some semblance of a traditional running game I doubt Cam makes it through the season.

I know he had the fumble last week but Harry has 13 catches in two games. That is very encouraging.

I think we are gonna see a lot of Harris when he is back off IR, people were saying he looked good in camp and I believe he may have that burst that Sony no longer has

Sony looks like a guy who has had a bunch of lower body surgeries. Zero explosion. He’s trying to run hard and fall forward but he just doesn’t have the physical ability to do much

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I havent really noticed are we working our young TEs in slowly or are they not getting any snaps?

Very slowly. Keene hasn’t been active. I believe Asiasi was this week but I didn’t notice him

Also Izzo has been surprisingly competent. Seems like he got a lot stronger

Evan Lazar made a great point. They took too long to trust Cam and open things up for him- now they know what he’s capable of throwing the football. Wouldn’t expect to see them commit to an ineffective run game for so long next time. I think they’ll be less conservative as the season goes on and they become more comfortable with Cam and the receivers

Honestly the receiver group looked good today. They lack established talent but Byrd and Harry were both solid. Edelman had one of his best games ever. I’m excited.

Reactions: BamZoni

Deuce17

Mar 2, 2019
Suffield, CT
Very slowly. Keene hasn’t been active. I believe Asiasi was this week but I didn’t notice him

Also Izzo has been surprisingly competent. Seems like he got a lot stronger

Evan Lazar made a great point. They took too long to trust Cam and open things up for him- now they know what he’s capable of throwing the football. Wouldn’t expect to see them commit to an ineffective run game for so long next time. I think they’ll be less conservative as the season goes on and they become more comfortable with Cam and the receivers

Honestly the receiver group looked good today. They lack established talent but Byrd and Harry were both solid. Edelman had one of his best games ever. I’m excited.
I feel like getting those mobile TEs on the move in some RPOs with Cam could be huge

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I feel like getting those mobile TEs on the move in some RPOs with Cam could be huge

I think so too, wouldn’t shock me if they’re keeping it in their back pocket until later

Great game tonight. I think Russ is gonna get MVP this year, he just flat out beat us. Tip your cap to greatness and move on. They couldn’t have played a more flawless game offensively and we still almost took it

Reactions: BamZoni

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I guess I felt some way after the game haha
D04C4BEB-91DA-45D1-95F4-3BDFD3B0C5BB.jpeg

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Going to take some time for Cam to fully get the passing offense down. Took Brady and Edelman years to perfect those options routes. The biggest thing for Cam to get down will be identifying the defensw, were the pressure is coming from, and checking out of plays. Brady was so good at audibling to correct play against a certain defense.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I don't think it's a matter of timing or getting down the routes, so much as it's an accuracy issue. Newton is a guy that has gotten by on his athletic ability and has never had to hone his passing skills. When he throws, it's a 50-50 where the ball is going. Most of what I've seen this year is the ball being behind the intended receiver. The positive is that his legs can do a lot to get them into short yardage situations, but when they're in 3 and long, I don't have a lot of confidence in Newton dropping back and delivering the ball on target.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Thought Newton looked great throwing the ball yesterday, way better than I anticipated

I know the Seahawks secondary got banged up but they still had 2 great corners (Griffin and Dunbar) + probably the best safety in football back there and they still threw for ~400 yards

Reactions: JCRO

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Thought Newton looked great throwing the ball yesterday, way better than I anticipated

I know the Seahawks secondary got banged up but they still had 2 great corners (Griffin and Dunbar) + probably the best safety in football back there and they still threw for ~400 yards
I feel a lot better about the Newton and the team as a whole after this game.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

The Seahawks defense is very suspect. They let Matt Ryan throw for 450 yards in week 1. They have no pass rush and wonderboy Jamal Adams plays like a linebacker; great rusher and tackler but can't cover one on one. Edelman abused him last night.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's sad and hilarious seeing the Bills fan run around with their chests puffed out and their "MVP" QB Allen after squeaking by 2 of the 3 worst teams in the league in the Phins and Jets. Always fun when reality slaps them in the face

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The Seahawks defense is very suspect. They let Matt Ryan throw for 450 yards in week 1. They have no pass rush and wonderboy Jamal Adams plays like a linebacker; great rusher and tackler but can't cover one on one. Edelman abused him last night.

A ton of those yards Ryan got were against a shell defense when they were down big. Ryan also has 3 good receivers so he has that benefit too. This seemed different, we were pretty much in the game the entire time

They definitely don’t have a pass rush though, that’s for sure. Newton had all day. I wonder if that was by design though. Most weeks it wouldn’t be but I know belichick sometimes does that with mobile QB where the goal isn’t to get to them but to contain them in the pocket

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Thunderbirds doing a fly over today out here. I’d be excited if my city didn’t lose millions over Covid and people could actually work at the stadium.

right? let's get Sisolak out of town first.

theyve been doing strip flyovers every monday coming back from airshows, kinda cool they're doing a MNF flyover to open The Roomba

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
B2B51D84-4ED4-49C5-B81B-2F4D3ED8D1B2.jpeg

Oh god and they’re making jokes about them performing “mr bright side”

“Saints into the sea” cuz we are playing the saints

oh god imma going to have to watch these corny people next week when it’s Raiders vs. Patriots

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I don't think it's a matter of timing or getting down the routes, so much as it's an accuracy issue. Newton is a guy that has gotten by on his athletic ability and has never had to hone his passing skills. When he throws, it's a 50-50 where the ball is going. Most of what I've seen this year is the ball being behind the intended receiver. The positive is that his legs can do a lot to get them into short yardage situations, but when they're in 3 and long, I don't have a lot of confidence in Newton dropping back and delivering the ball on target.
5 years ago I would have said the exact same thing, but he has definitely evolved as a passer. There were a half dozen throws yesterday that were dimes. Starting 2018 when he played for Norv Turner, Cam"s accuracy and comp pct has gone way up. The passing game is only going to get better with the more time he has in the system. I dont think it can be understated the fact that he signed late and had no preseason

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->