Patriots/NFL Week 3: vs sʇǝſ 9/22 1PM - CBS, 98.5 WBZ-FM - Antonio Brown Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
"We are aware of the civil lawsuit that was filed earlier [Tuesday] against Antonio Brown, as well as the response by Antonio’s representatives," the Patriots said in a statement. "We take these allegations very seriously. Under no circumstance does this organization condone sexual violence or assault. The league has informed us that they will be investigating. We will have no further comment while that investigation takes place."

:popcorn:

Reactions: Alicat

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Last I checked, which was last year, the instance of false allegations in sexual abuse is about 5%, meaning for every Patrick Kane situation there are 19 Harvey Weinstein’s. However, as this subject continues to dawn in the spotlight, that percentage should rise, it’s just human nature. Greed and selfishness will come in to play, though I suspect there will be more exaggerations rather than full out lies in that regard.

Either way, it’s a good thing people are feeling more emboldened in coming forward. Especially in so far as how it may help children, who are sexually assaulted at incredibly alarming rates - and that’s just the ones we know about, as many cases go unreported.

We the people just need to be careful of frenzy and believe in facts and evidence gathering, all the while we teach our children how to engage in healthy relationship building, and learning enthusiastic affirmative consent - this is key. You can never 100% account for what people will do when they’re alone, so teaching young boys they can’t just touch and the dynamics of power they hold, and young women that it’s totally fine to have your space etc and how to identify abuse and manipulation in a partner will go a long way in healing this pretty dark and disgusting part of human society

Reactions: lopey and LouJersey

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Last I checked, which was last year, the instance of false allegations in sexual abuse is about 5%, meaning for every Patrick Kane situation there are 19 Harvey Weinstein’s.

Could you provide a source? Even if you do, I’d take those numbers with a grain of salt, because as difficult as it (regrettably) is to garner adequate evidence to get a conviction of sexual assault/rape, it’s just as hard if not harder (not to mention less interesting to pursue) convicting someone of false accusations thereof.

Even if it is 5%, those people suck just as much as rapists because they’re hurting not only the person they accuse but actual victims of sexual violence.

I do hope it’s less than 5%, though, and that both figures will drop substantially.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
League will probs put him on paid leave unless AB provides them with some immediate convincing evidence

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
League will probs put him on paid leave unless AB provides them with some immediate convincing evidence

Goodell has already set the precedent with Big Ben. Don't even need charges in cases like this and he can dish out 6 game suspensions.

Reactions: CDJ

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

Proving a negative, yum. I doubt they’ll take whatever evidence he has of her trying to extort him seriously, but the case will either get thrown out/settled out of court. If it gets cut to four games like Captain Fatf***’s, he’ll have 11 games to settle in (unless he loses the case, in which case I guess the Pats might release him).

If put on paid leave, he’ll have little to no reason to not pay her off, which is a nice lesson to send.

Reactions: CDJ

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Investigations done by the league have no credibility whatsoever anymore. The precedent they set with tyreek hill buried them forever

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

9x0xunlibzl31.png

Saw this list of all the various players to be put on the list at some point. All of the legal issue ones either had criminal charges, video evidence, or on-the-field actions.

Legal expert suggested that it would set a bad precedent, but Goodell hasn't been concerned about that in the past. The reality is that the NFL will do whatever they think will make the least PR noise. That's not necessarily what they've worried about in the past, but it's the NFL's 100th season, and they don't want the focus to be on off-the-field issues.

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with putting him on the exempt list, just from a Patriots' fan perspective.

Reactions: Fossy21 and CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
It is a typical response by the team.

Media got to ask questions and then they should have moved on.

Didn't watch the press conference, so I don't know who was asking the questions, but I don't understand why reporters would risk their access, at least in terms of being able to get inside info, over questions that they know he won't answer.

There was zero chance he was answering anything other than "we're focused on Miami" or "this was covered in our statement". You spend the first few questions on that topic, and then move on. Just saw a tweet from Doug Kyed that suggested that asking football-related questions would have been tone deaf. Not so sure about that. If I were a reporter, I might have used this time to get in Bill's good graces by asking a question he'll actually answer, but I guess the reality is that none of them care about anything else team-related today because they have plenty of information to keep putting out the same stories about the lawsuit/allegations.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Pats media who have been the new ESPN for a few years want a story but the the Pats just got news of this last night..not sure what they are supposed to say without more info.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Didn't watch the press conference, so I don't know who was asking the questions, but I don't understand why reporters would risk their access, at least in terms of being able to get inside info, over questions that they know he won't answer.

There was zero chance he was answering anything other than "we're focused on Miami" or "this was covered in our statement". You spend the first few questions on that topic, and then move on. Just saw a tweet from Doug Kyed that suggested that asking football-related questions would have been tone deaf. Not so sure about that. If I were a reporter, I might have used this time to get in Bill's good graces by asking a question he'll actually answer, but I guess the reality is that none of them care about anything else team-related today because they have plenty of information to keep putting out the same stories about the lawsuit/allegations.
Byron Barnett who is a great reporter but doesn't report on sports.

He reports on hard news/political stuff for Channel 7 news.

I like Byron but I can see why Bill walked off after 4 minutes.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Byron Barnett who is a great reporter but doesn't report on sports.

He reports on hard news/political stuff for Channel 7 news.

I like Byron but I can see why Bill walked off after 4 minutes.

Interesting. I saw something that suggested it was someone from CNN, which would make sense because they don't care at all about the actual football questions and wouldn't be concerned about ruining the press conference.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Interesting. I saw something that suggested it was someone from CNN, which would make sense because they don't care at all about the actual football questions and wouldn't be concerned about ruining the press conference.
Nope. Local reporter who is outside of the normal contingent of reporters.

Again, I like the reporter but he was out of line

TrashPanda

Feb 24, 2019
Pats favored at -19 right now

I wonder how many times the Patriots have played former Belichick protegees and covered spreads like that. Feels like a game where they'll get off to a sluggish start, build a lead, take their foot off the gas and win something like 34-16.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

Just watched the last 15 seconds of the press conference, and it wasn't nearly as contentious as it sounds. Pretty sure the Patriots PR guy, Stacey James, ended it, so Belichick didn't just walk off the podium.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Just watched the last 15 seconds of the press conference, and it wasn't nearly as contentious as it sounds. Pretty sure the Patriots PR guy, Stacey James, ended it, so Belichick didn't just walk off the podium.

That's hilarious...:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad