Pre-Game Talk: Week 2 (@CBJ, @BUF, CAL)

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Where is this coming from? When has Bednar "played it safe" with roster decisions? He plunked a very young Nikita Zadorov on the top pairing his first season in Colorado, he went with an all-kid 2nd line last season, he's using Sam Girard as his top defenseman, do I need to go on? The only time I've seen him lean on a grinder-type veteran more than he probably should is Gabe Bourque, otherwise, he's fine taking a chance on youth. I don't get where this false narrative of Bednar being conservative or cautious with the kids comes from, unfortunately it's not the first time I've heard it, and it is still every bit as untrue as it was before. You want frustration, go watch Mike Babcock and how he still finds ways to undermine and underutilize the skill on his roster.
Bourque is definitely an example, Warsofsky last year. Or him relying too much on the Soda, Nieto line as a shut down line. I know he's not anything close to the worst I never said he was. But he for sure has his comfort zones that he gets into. For the record, I think hes fantastic with youth, it's probably one of his best qualities in terms of being the right guy for this team. It's just his bottom end of the line up choices are annoying to me at times. A lot of that probably has to do with the Avs not having great depth yet. But still a 4th line doesnt always have to be a crash and bang line.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Bourque is definitely an example, Warsofsky last year. Or him relying too much on the Soda, Nieto line as a shut down line. I know he's not anything close to the worst I never said he was. But he for sure has his comfort zones that he gets into.

Remember, Bednar didn't exactly treat Soda like a favorite son either. That first year he was exiled to the 4th line and then started the following season as a healthy scratch, then 4th line C. I think that line got all the ice time and tough assignments because there simply wasn't anyone else. Bednar tried to use Landeskog in a more defensive role last year, and it didn't work.

Who knows...if Kamenev hadn't run smack into Brooks Orpik last season, he might be that guy right now.

So far the Soda line and 4th lines are playing almost identical minutes. My guess is that if that 4th line continues to grow, it'll get more minutes and that 3rd line gets bumped down. That's why I predicted that Soda will not finish his contract as an Av, I really do think Bednar and the organization are trying to phase him out slowly, they just couldn't last year. We know Bednar listens to the analytics department, and they've likely been telling him that Big Carl's underlying numbers are kinda weak.

I too am not saying he's perfect but I'm at all concerned at this point. If he just stews there for multiple games, then I too will be a bit irritated. But Bednar has gone on record that he doesn't mind having the kids watch a game from time to time, hopefully when it's time Kam will be rarin' to go.

I'm just going to politely disagree with you and everyone else who thought Warsofsky was a bad idea, I thought he did fine on a team that was absolutely decimated with injuries. He only played a handful of games, and eventually Alt took those minutes so no biggie.

Reactions: S3rkie

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
We'll it looks like last year's road Avs aren't gone yet, looked like a completely different team out there. Hopefully they can get a win in Buffalo because Calgary always seems to be a tough win for them.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's probably Dries coming out, which hopefully bumps Bourque down to the 4th line.

I really hope Kamenev isn't put on that 4th line.
It's not like Compher and Calvert are total scrubs, that line has been pretty effective thus far. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to see Kam play with them, although I do agree that I'd like to see him with Soderberg as I think their styles mesh better.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
It's probably Dries coming out, which hopefully bumps Bourque down to the 4th line.

I really hope Kamenev isn't put on that 4th line.

Avs respond on Twitter in the comments that Kam is replacing Dries. Waste of talent imo, but I think he'll work his way up the lineup.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Avs respond on Twitter in the comments that Kam is replacing Dries. Waste of talent imo, but I think he'll work his way up the lineup.
Not sure what you are talking about. JT and Calvert are not your typical 4th line grinders, those guys can play. Kamenev will fit nicely - he needs to earn it if he wants more.

Besides the only reason the Soderberg line isn't our 4th line is Soderberg - the other 2 are perfect for that role.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I kinda wish those were our third jerseys.

tenor.gif

Reactions: expatriated_texan

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
The majority of the team had an awful game defensively so it's hard to single one person out, I wouldn't be upset or surprised to see Z sit a game, though I think it will be Barbs. He probably would still be eating nachos if Nemo didn't get banged up.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm gonna be watching Landy closely. He hasn't been his usual self lately.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Chill out on the Kam-on-the-4th-line thing. That 4th line has seen plenty of usage, and I'd rather see him there with younger, faster players than slogging it alongside the team's worst skater.
I think Kamenev can add something offensively to Soderberg that would make the line more effective than what is currently being provided by Gabriel Bourque.

That, and it might send a message to Bourque that he needs to bring it every night and not get comfortable in his role on the team.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Kamenev can add something offensively to Soderberg that would make the line more effective than what is currently being provided by Gabriel Bourque.

That, and it might send a message to Bourque that he needs to bring it every night and not get comfortable in his role on the team.

Well, that's possible, but it also makes that line ridiculously slow. I do agree though that someone who can actually do something with the puck needs to be on that line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->