Pre-Game Talk: Week 2 (@CBJ, @BUF, CAL)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Kamenev will get his shot eventually and if he plays like he did in the preseason, he probably won't be coming out. He was clearly better than all of these forwards battling for a spot, including Dries.

Reactions: S3rkie

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It just doesn't make sense to me asset managment wise, Dries has zero future on this team, yes he's fine. But he doesn't bring anything aside from not being awful. There is actual upside to Kamanev's game, offensively as well as defensively. So what happens if the Avs go on a winning streak? Do you just keep riding the same line up, and avoid putting in the more talented player, because he hasn't gotten up to game speed already? He's only going to get adjusted to the NHL pace by playing with better players and better competition, rip off the bandaid and play your best possible lineup. There's nothing left for 91 in the AHL or in the press box.

Let's just relax a bit shall we? How about you give Bednar the benefit of the doubt instead of making a wholesale judgment based on his lineup choice for ONE game. He's not Sacco in that he absolutely will not change a lineup after a win no matter what, but I don't see why he has to rush Kam in there right away after a good start. And you need to watch those games again if all you saw from Dries was "not sucking." It's not going to ruin Kamenev's development for him to sit one game, maybe two.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Let's just relax a bit shall we? How about you give Bednar the benefit of the doubt instead of making a wholesale judgment based on his lineup choice for ONE game. He's not Sacco in that he absolutely will not change a lineup after a win no matter what, but I don't see why he has to rush Kam in there right away after a good start. And you need to watch those games again if all you saw from Dries was "not sucking." It's not going to ruin Kamenev's development for him to sit one game, maybe two.
I am relaxed, formulating an opinion doesn't require me to lose my shit. I'm just under the school of thought of not waiting till something goes wrong to make adjustments. I don't get why thats such a rash judgment.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I am relaxed, formulating an opinion doesn't require me to lose my ****. I'm just under the school of thought of not waiting till something goes wrong to make adjustments. I don't get why thats such a rash judgment.

Ok I'll answer your question since you seems legitimately puzzled by that decision. Kamenev played and acted like he didn't give a flying f*** at the rookie camp and during preseason. His level of nonchalance was so bad that Bednar himself had to call him in the media, telling him to get his shit together. Dries, on the other hand, was the opposite. Came here and did much better than expected.

So there's your answer.

Also Dries is a better fit than Kamenev on that 4th line.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Ok I'll answer your question since you seems legitimately puzzled by that decision. Kamenev played and acted like he didn't give a flying **** at the rookie camp and during preseason. His level of nonchalance was so bad that Bednar himself had to call him in the media, telling him to get his **** together. Dries, on the other hand, was the opposite. Came here and did much better than expected.

So there's your answer.

As I remember he had a really good second game at the rookie tourney, and I watched all the preseason games and thought he looked good on the powerplay and created a lot of chances, seeing the ice really well. I guess just a difference of opinions. Also I remember Bednar criticizing his play speed not his effort, but admittedly I don't listen to all of his pressers.

Reactions: Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Ok I'll answer your question since you seems legitimately puzzled by that decision. Kamenev played and acted like he didn't give a flying **** at the rookie camp and during preseason. His level of nonchalance was so bad that Bednar himself had to call him in the media, telling him to get his **** together. Dries, on the other hand, was the opposite. Came here and did much better than expected.

So there's your answer.

Like Dater, did you also just watch/read about Kamenev at the start of camp and then ignore everything that followed? For example, Kamenev playing well in the preseason and Bednar complimenting him a number of times in his pressers for that play and his practices?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I just don't see it with Dries. He hustles, but I don't think he brings much else at the NHL level.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado

So there's your answer.

Bednar said all that stuff about Kamenev before he even played a preseason game, then said nice things about him. He played really well in the preseason games he got into.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

So there's your answer.

Yeah, that's not what happened at all.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Personally I think Dries deserves more games as of right now, he's been sound defensively and has also created a few nice offensive chances. If it was me, I'd sit Nieto over him as he's looked meh to bad so far.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
I’m fine with Kamenev sitting this game, but he needs to get in sooner rather than later imo

Give the kid a chance in the NHL for 10ish games before rushing judgmenent

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO

So there's your answer.

This post straight up sucks

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, that's not what happened at all.

Bednar after the first preseason game vs the Golden Knights: "He (Kamenev) has to figure out how much he wants to play in the NHL".

After the Minny game he did say that Kam "looked more comfortable". But then he was later sent to the AHL and Dries took his spot in the starting line up.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kamenev will get his shot, but he simply hasn't done enough to outseat Dries for a spot and Dries hasn't played poorly. Let it play out....

Where Kam really needs to slot in is for one of Wilson, Nieto, or Bourque. He isn't suited to the type of play needed on the 4th line with Compher and Calvert. But he is skilled enough to help out in the middle 6 if those lines struggle... you'd hope that Bourque would be able to be pulled, but he is too important to the PK right now and somebody would else would have to grab a spot there.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Bednar after the first preseason game vs the Golden Knights: "He (Kamenev) has to figure out how much he wants to play in the NHL".

After the Minny game he did say that Kam "looked more comfortable". But then he was later sent to the AHL and Dries took his spot in the starting line up.
Kamenev didn’t play in the first preseason game. He was talking about his game in practice. Since the games have started he’s said nice things about him. He was sent to the AHL to get in games after missing the last week due to injury.

For the record I like Dries, but you are really pushing that narrative.

Reactions: Avs44

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kamenev had the hip injury that kept him out of the last two preseason games. Kind of hard to win a spot in camp when you can't play the key games down the stretch. It seems like the AHL games were just conditioning before the road trip, and the scratch tonight is to give him a chance to practice with the NHL team some more before they put him in next game.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

The first quote was when he was asked about Kamenev after a game he didn't even play in. The second one was after Kamenev actually got into a game and showed what he can do. Not only did Bednar say he looked more comfortable, he actually brought Kamenev unprompted and had positive things to say about his play in practice as well. He was sent to the AHL because he got hurt and didn't practice or play for a week+. You're really reaching to try and push your narrative.

Reactions: klozge

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Fair enough, I trust your evaluations of players, and maybe I just haven't seen enough of him to appreciate whats there. I don't think it's only about talent level, yeah I like Kamenev's skill game, I think he's a really smart player over all. This team has been lacking those heady types of players for so long, why would you not take advantage of everything you have. I think my issue is more with Bednar sometimes playing it too safe with roster decisions. I'm sure a lot of that is just optics from the outside, but it can get damn frustrating as a fan.

Where is this coming from? When has Bednar "played it safe" with roster decisions? He plunked a very young Nikita Zadorov on the top pairing his first season in Colorado, he went with an all-kid 2nd line last season, he's using Sam Girard as his top defenseman, do I need to go on? The only time I've seen him lean on a grinder-type veteran more than he probably should is Gabe Bourque, otherwise, he's fine taking a chance on youth. I don't get where this false narrative of Bednar being conservative or cautious with the kids comes from, unfortunately it's not the first time I've heard it, and it is still every bit as untrue as it was before. You want frustration, go watch Mike Babcock and how he still finds ways to undermine and underutilize the skill on his roster.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I am relaxed, formulating an opinion doesn't require me to lose my ****. I'm just under the school of thought of not waiting till something goes wrong to make adjustments. I don't get why thats such a rash judgment.

He's sitting for one game, I just don't see how that's a problem. If a week passes and he's still there, then I'll be concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad