Patriots/NFL Week 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
I'm a bit late, but yesterday I was at the in-laws and thereby forced to watch the Giants game. (Which, in their defense was the CBS game in our area). Gosh darn it I love watching Eli Manning throw interceptions. It's just the Eli we know and love. That broadcast was horrible though- second rate at everything. I married a Jets fan, but her brother is Giants fan. There's nothing for either of those franchises to root for anymore and it's glorious.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Brees is the most underrated player ever imo. I think he’s as good as Manning ever was. Talent/intelligence wise I don’t think he’s all that different from Tom. Tom’s just done more in big moments

Reactions: KrejciMVP

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Brees is the most underrated player ever imo. I think he’s as good as Manning ever was. Talent/intelligence wise I don’t think he’s all that different from Tom. Tom’s just done more in big moments
It's a hard debate for me and I haven't followed the NFC closely enough to really know whether he's on par with Peyton Manning or if it's inflated stats.

There's the impression that Brees & Sean Payton basically just rack up stats by spamming the pass and running up scores late in games, and that he benefits from being in a dome at least 9 times a year. It feels like the Saints never have a defense either so the entire gameplan is meant for 45-48 shootouts. But I mean, he is producing unheard of numbers and relatively quietly too. And he's never had a Marvin Harrison to throw to.

All I can say for sure is that he's definitely better than Aaron Rodgers, despite what the NFL and its sponsors claim. He's not the most handsome QB in the world and doesn't play for either a legacy franchise or a major pro market, so he doesn't get the commercials. But a better player for sure.

I'm incredibly grateful that Nick Saban picked Daunte Culpepper over Brees in Miami in 2006.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Yep Brees and Rogers have as many titles as Joe Flacco. Lots of post season failure or in Rogers case a failure to get to the post season. Brady delivers time and time again which significantly separates him from the rest

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Imagine what Brady's numbers could have been had he played more than half his games in a dome? or had tough weather places to play like Carolina and Tampa?

or had players like Michael Thomas or Devante Adams to throw to all these years. Brady takes less money to make the team better but they never really got a him a premier elite WR outside Moss for 1 year and AB for 1 game.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Do you not think Brees or Rodgers would have had similar success on the Pats as Brady does?

I don't know, I could also say if Brady was on NO and GB they'd have far more success but Brady would certainly have better numbers with an elite WR as he showed throwing 50 TD's in 2007 with Moss who many said was declining in Oakland. Brady would also have 9 superbowl vicories if the defense could make a stop vs the Giants twice in games he led them to the go ahead drive late and Belichicks defense showed up vs Philly. He's in a category of QB all on his own. The 28-3 comeback was probably the best comeback of all time in any Superbowl.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I don't know, I could also say if Brady was on NO and GB they'd have far more success but Brady would certainly have better numbers with an elite WR as he showed throwing 50 TD's in 2007 with Moss who many said was declining in Oakland. Brady would also have 9 superbowl vicories if the defense could make a stop vs the Giants twice in games he led them to the go ahead drive late and Belichicks defense showed up vs Philly. He's in a category of QB all on his own. The 28-3 comeback was probably the best comeback of all time in any Superbowl.

Just trying to figure out if you're saying it's mostly the QB and not the coaching. Brady could also have four less Super Bowls if not for an ineptly coached Falcons team that wanted to try to embarrass the Pats, the worst play call in goal line Superbowl history and the best clutch kicker in history.

I do think Brady is the GOAT, not trying to diminish that.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Just trying to figure out if you're saying it's mostly the QB and not the coaching. Brady could also have four less Super Bowls if not for an ineptly coached Falcons team that wanted to try to embarrass the Pats, the worst play call in goal line Superbowl history and the best clutch kicker in history.

how was Belichick as a head coach before Brady. 5-11 with Bledsoe followed by an 0-2 start the next year in addition to his failure in Cleveland 36-44 I believe. that would make him 41-57 before Tom Brady took the helm. It was funny watching Max Kellerman say Pats were playoff team the year before Brady the other day. For a sports commentator to make that blatent of an error was interesting. I tend to think the elite QB makes the biggest difference like any elite player on a pro sports team. Belichick was very lucky to find the player he did in Brady, great coach but Brady is the biggest difference IMO.

The Seattle goal line stand was another miracle. Brady drove them to the lead and it was looking like another ending similar to the giants where the D didnt hold at the end. In many ways it didnt and the Pats caught a huge break.

Last edited:
Reactions: LouJersey

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I think to have the success they've had, it has to be a combination of both. This is Brady's 18th season as the starter for a majority of the season (removing 2007 when he played one game). In those 17 seasons, they've won 12 games 12 times, they've been to 13 AFC Championship games, 9 Super Bowls, and won 6. That doesn't just happen with a GOAT QB or GOAT Coach on their own. There are seasons where it has more to do with Brady and season where it's more about Belichick.

You see people (not here) talk about how bad of a stat QB wins is, but when you've got an almost 20 year dynasty, and the only constants are Belichick and Brady, that has got to mean something.

As a side note, addressing @Therick67 's post above, one of my favorite Brady stats is that he has better numbers both in a dome and outdoors, respectively, than Brees and Manning. Brady has played just 5% of his games in a dome, while Manning is at 35% and Brees is at 49%. That doesn't even consider that Brady has played in worse weather too, considering their respective divisions.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Gotta love that last week it was minor or no punishment for Patriots and now it’s a “major” one.

It was reported during Deflategate that Bill Belichick would get a lifetime suspension if caught taping signals again.

Does anybody believe that someone who has worked for Kraft Video for 18 years did not know about the ban of shooting another team's bench???

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Gotta love that last week it was minor or no punishment for Patriots and now it’s a “major” one.
Who authorized a Patriots employee to be at a NFL football game with a camera

Indefensible

shocked & chagrined

mortified & stupefied

It’s incredible

It’s the ultimate gift to the millions of Patriots haters

if I didn’t love this franchise I would laugh out loud

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Who authorized a Patriots employee to be at a NFL football game with a camera

Indefensible

shocked & chagrined

mortified & stupefied

It’s incredible

It’s the ultimate gift to the millions of Patriots haters

if I didn’t love this franchise I would laugh out loud

It's not national news though. The haters will have their fun but I think most think the story is dud and we're onto buffalo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->