Patriots/NFL Week 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Guy probably did nothing wrong or at least didnt intend to but now you have every sports pundit and fan creating creating their own reality or scenario of what they think happened, it turns into some feeding frenzy and now they have to come up with some arbitrary punishment to calm the masses. Modern day society is one witch hunt after another. Can we chill out and let the facts come out for once? If I worked as a camera man, ya it would be scary to even go near a NFL team knowing what possibly awaits you. Who wants to end up with their life ruined for filming a documentary

A definite shame as the behind the scenes TV shows can be great perspective for fans.

I did not know the Pats had one until now but I would watch it to learn more about this dynasty.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Cant have documentaries anymore bc some pat hater who cant live with themself bc of New Englands success ruins it

Why do you try to play the victim so hard in this scenario? Again, the reaction from the Bengals staff is due to the history of the team doing crap like this. I get that it may have been an overreaction, but it's not like the team hasn't already been busted for doing this. The reaction was created by the Patriots doing shady shit since BB has been here. I'm a die hard Pats fan, but I can easily admit it's because of their own actions in the past that this is even a story. No victims here. No persecution complex needed. They've done questionable things and teams are on alert over anything they do now or in the future. They have to own that.

Reactions: BMC and Pia8988

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Why do you try to play the victim so hard in this scenario? Again, the reaction from the Bengals staff is due to the history of the team doing crap like this. I get that it may have been an overreaction, but it's not like the team hasn't already been busted for doing this. The reaction was created by the Patriots doing shady **** since BB has been here. I'm a die hard Pats fan, but I can easily admit it's because of their own actions in the past that this is even a story. No victims here. No persecution complex needed. They've done questionable things and teams are on alert over anything they do now or in the future. They have to own that.

Sound like there is back peddling going on after rendering judgment before the facts have come out. You can try to relitigate spygate but these two cases have nothing to do with one another. It's like saying a speeding ticket 14 years ago and one recieved yesterday are somehow relevant to one another.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The Patriots have also taken steps toward handling the matter internally. Those in the production wing fear jobs are at stake.

If someone gets fired over this every videographer contractor in town will boycott working for the Pats.

Let's be real about this - if the Patriots wanted to tape signals just buy a good seat and have someone with an iPhone do it.

Maybe this person will go into witness protection like Jastremski and McNally or whatever their names were. I would agree though. If you're firing them for taping signals I find it very hard to believe they intentionally did it on their own without instructions from someone in the Pats organization.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sound like there is back peddling going on after rendering judgment before the facts have come out. You can try to relitigate spygate but these two cases have nothing to do with one another. It's like saying a speeding ticket 14 years ago and one recieved yesterday are somehow relevant to one another.

Depends. If you had a history of getting speeding tickets regularly, it would say your history is driving too fast generally speaking, no? It would also say that if you were pulled over speeding, a police officer would likely not cut you a break since you've shown a propensity to ignore the speed limit laws, no?

Reactions: Dreghorn2

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Maybe this person will go into witness protection like Jastremski and McNally or whatever their names were. I would agree though. If you're firing them for taping signals I find it very hard to believe they intentionally did it on their own without instructions from someone in the Pats organization.

Really? If your actions, even if inadvertent, cost your company money and damaged their reputation, I'm pretty sure you're getting fired whether you did it on your own or someone told you. I know my company certainly would. I mean, why on earth would you keep an employee around who did something like that on their own? How could you ever trust them again?

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Depends. If you had a history of getting speeding tickets regularly, it would say your history is driving too fast generally speaking, no? It would also say that if you were pulled over speeding, a police officer would likely not cut you a break since you've shown a propensity to ignore the speed limit laws, no?

In this case it wouldn't be Belichicks name on the ticket right. Independent film crew? Have to also consider a team that has won as much as the Pats would have more than a few documentaries they could make about their prolonged success, something the Bengals might not understand unless of course they are up next on hard knocks

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
In this case it wouldn't be Belichicks name on the ticket right. Independent film crew? Have to also consider a team that has won as much as the Pats would have more than a few documentaries they could make about their prolonged success, something the Bengals might not understand unless of course they are up next on hard knocks

Stop making excuses. It's the organization, not just BB. And you know this, maaaaaaaaaan....:laugh:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Really? If your actions, even if inadvertent, cost your company money and damaged their reputation, I'm pretty sure you're getting fired whether you did it on your own or someone told you. I know my company certainly would. I mean, why on earth would you keep an employee around who did something like that on their own? How could you ever trust them again?

I think you should read what I wrote again. I said I would find it hard to believe that the person simply decided to tape signals on his own for the hell of it. Obviously if they did do it intentionally on their own, yes, fire them. I just don't find that to be plausible.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I think you should read what I wrote again. I said I would find it hard to believe that the person simply decided to tape signals on his own for the hell of it. Obviously if they did do it intentionally on their own, yes, fire them. I just don't find that to be plausible.

I just find it hard to believe they'd cook this up and risk it after all the 'gates' they've dealt with....for a game against the Bengals...

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I'm sorry, but that's not how I read it. I understood your post to mean that it'd only make sense to fire them if they did it on the instruction of someone else, but it doesn't sound like that was your intent.

I think your suggestion assumes that the only possibility is that the videographer knew exactly what they were doing and their intentions were nefarious. It could have been as simple as a screw-up while trying to film B-roll for the "Do Your Job" video, not that the team deserves the benefit of the doubt.

I believe we were told that these were private contractors who don't work directly for the team, so it's possible, if not likely, that they're going off instructions for the project versus overall organizational directives. Even if they didn't know what they could and couldn't do, the organization would likely fire them, or not rehire them for another job, because of what they cost them. It's unfortunate, but there are plenty of times people are fired for things that weren't their fault. That was the point I was trying to make.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I just find it hard to believe they'd cook this up and risk it after all the 'gates' they've dealt with....for a game against the Bengals...

I agree, unless the league somehow uncovers that they have been doing this Do Your Job feature all season long in other stadiums. If this was a one time deal, totally agree, can't imagine they would take on that risk to capture signals from the freakin Bengals. But the longer this goes on without a ruling from the league the more you have to worry. Otherwise just say it was nothing and move along. Release the tape!

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I agree, unless the league somehow uncovers that they have been doing this Do Your Job feature all season long in other stadiums. If this was a one time deal, totally agree, can't imagine they would take on that risk to capture signals from the freakin Bengals. But the longer this goes on without a ruling from the league the more you have to worry. Otherwise just say it was nothing and move along. Release the tape!
Eh they're clearly waiting for the owners meetings to be over before ruling on anything, even if it's nothing.

100% a Friday at 4pm news dump.

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Is the league taking away our first round pick again for this?
This has been blown way out of proportion by the media.
BTW, its okay to steal signs if you are a base runner and on 2B in MLB and relay the sign to the batter.
Its all fair game.
The intelligent teams change up their signs / signal calling, its easy to do just use a different indicator.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

The Do Your Job videos have been going on for about a year now. I don't know if you've watched them, but they're very good, and I'd highly encourage you to take a look if you haven't.

Basically all of them have been filmed at Foxboro with behind the scenes staff. I think they had one last spring that talked about scouting for the draft, where they filmed at college stadiums, and then there was one at the Super Bowl. Otherwise, the only other one filmed outside of Foxboro was of the video guys (ironic, huh) showing how they'd set up the video at an away game and deliver it to the staff during the game when they played the Redskins.

Honestly, this would be one of the dumbest "schemes" of all time if it were true, and I think you'd need to think that the smartest organization in the league was actually the dumbest for that to be the case. Sending camera men in Patriots' gear to opposing teams' stadiums for non-Patriots games where you'd need their permission to film, all for the purpose of filming signals, which football people even say aren't all that useful anymore? Especially when you could just send a scout or someone else to sit in the crowd with an iPhone? Maybe it's just me, but that's laughably unbelievable. I'd like to think that if Belichick was cheating he'd come up with something much more impressive than that.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
What an idiot. :facepalm:

from espn.com:

Cornerback Janoris Jenkins tweeted a disparaging remark in response to a critical fan Wednesday while the New York Giants were on the practice field.

Jenkins was not practicing because of an ankle injury. He was defending his play this season while his teammates were on the field. Jenkins took exception to a fan who asked why the stats Jenkins was using to showcase his effectiveness weren't contributing to any wins.

"I can only do my job.. Pejorative Slur," Jenkins tweeted.

Full story here: www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28276071/giants-janoris-jenkins-tweets-insult-fan-practice

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I know it’s not serious because it’s not on the front page of ESPN at the moment

You can tell whether it's real or not by how much Schefter has said about it. In this case, it's all been driven by Russini and not him. He's seemingly staying away from the story for whatever reason, which to me means that the tape isn't a real big concern. Troy Vincent being a dick and saying nothing is over or has been decided, aside.

Reactions: CDJ
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->