Patriots/NFL Week 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Sounds like maybe the signals were to alert the players what type of package it is these days? . This way, you get the signal...see who goes in and comes out...and see what play is run. This way you know what plays could be run with what player personnel is in there. Would be a good thing to know for sure.

Sure, but you can figure that out studying the game film.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The "all 22" that the teams get does not extend to the coaches on the sidelines.

I'm talking about personnel and play calls, not about the signals themselves. How many times have you heard players talk about seeing the formation on film or
the personnel and knowing what the play was going to be..

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm talking about personnel and play calls, not about the signals themselves. How many times have you heard players talk about seeing the formation on film or
the personnel and knowing what the play was going to be..

Yeah but if you see the signal you know what players are coming in and are able to get your players in. To wait to see what players actually come out,. then react would hurt your setup IMO. You could get a jump for sure.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So we've gone from Brady is finished to the Pat's are cheating again. Ahh the pat haters so obsessed with us. I guess your teams never win anything so we dont bother to constantly judge you

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Yeah but if you see the signal you know what players are coming in and are able to get your players in. To wait to see what players actually come out,. then react would hurt your setup IMO. You could get a jump for sure.

Sure, not saying some type of advantage can't be gained. I'd think these teams would change up the signals, as it wouldn't be that difficult to have someone figure this out during the game.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Sure, not saying some type of advantage can't be gained. I'd think these teams would change up the signals, as it wouldn't be that difficult to have someone figure this out during the game.

You would think so, but not all do. The most glaring example being the Raiders who never did even in the freaking Super Bowl facing their ex-coach who literally knew all their signals!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
If they really did brazenly spy on the 2019 Bengals it would be like Richard Nixon being brought down by his paranoia needing to dig up dirt in an election he was going to win by a landslide anyway.

Nixon and Belichick actually seem like similar characters in a lot of ways.

Reactions: LouJersey

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Funny that this all leaks right after the league started to get criticism for stealing multiple touchdowns from us on Sunday

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
If the video shows a clear intent to film certain things you're not supposed to (it should be pretty easy to tell the intent of this video) I honestly think Belichick will be suspended. He can deny knowing but the buck stops with him on something like this. People in the league wanted him suspended for the first spygate and we know Goodell has complete authority to punish whoever he wants.

Reactions: BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Funny that this all leaks right after the league started to get criticism for stealing multiple touchdowns from us on Sunday

Yeah great conspiracy theory, except for the fact that they caught the Pats guy in the freaking press box filming the Bengals sidelines. :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If the video shows a clear intent to film certain things you're not supposed to (it should be pretty easy to tell the intent of this video) I honestly think Belichick will be suspended. He can deny knowing but the buck stops with him on something like this. People in the league wanted him suspended for the first spygate and we know Goodell has complete authority to punish whoever he wants.

This is exactly right. Whatever the tape shows will go a long way to explain whether this was more spygate crap on the Pats end or paranoia on the Bungles end. Have to see the tapes.

For the record, I assume the tapes will exonerate the Pats since multiple sources have said they expect the Pats to maybe get fined if that. I'm assuming that the league has to have seen the tapes if they're leaking out a mild punishment to the media for this.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I almost want them to take the 1st rounder for two reasons:

A) I can keep saying the league puts a parity tax on us, which annoys the shit out of other fanbases

And

B) I don’t want to hear pats fans complaining about their first round bust 3 years from now when they’re 11-5 with Stidham at QB

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
This is exactly right. Whatever the tape shows will go a long way to explain whether this was more spygate crap on the Pats end or paranoia on the Bungles end. Have to see the tapes.

For the record, I assume the tapes will exonerate the Pats since multiple sources have said they expect the Pats to maybe get fined if that. I'm assuming that the league has to have seen the tapes if they're leaking out a mild punishment to the media for this.

so in the end it's nothing but they'll get a slap on the wrist to calm the mob who would believe Belichick caused the polar ice caps to melt if they were told so. This is why I think 95% or more of the news about the Pats that comes from the boston or mainstream media is total lies and sensationalism. if the mob had their way they'd jail Belichick for life for making a documentary.

Is it so hard to get real football coverage these days? all we get now are Brady did this, Belichick did that, Pats fans are this, blah blah blah blah blah, its insufferable nonsense, nails on a chalkboard would be more pleasant

All I want for Christmas is for Brady to get a darn TE to throw to.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
so in the end it's nothing but they'll get a slap on the wrist to calm the mob who would believe Belichick caused the polar ice caps to melt if they were told so. This is why I think 95% or more of the news about the Pats that comes from the boston or mainstream media is total lies and sensationalism. if the mob had their way they'd jail Belichick for life for making a documentary.

Is it so hard to get real football coverage these days? all we get now are Brady did this, Belichick did that, Pats fans are this, blah blah blah blah blah, its insufferable nonsense, nails on a chalkboard would be more pleasant

So we have yet to see what's on the tape. Time will tell. One oddity I see with this story though is that if the Pats videographer was just mindlessly filming with no ill intent, why was it only focused on the Bengals sideline? No footage was shot of the team they had already played, but the team they haven't played yet was arbitrarily caught on film by a guy that wasn't aware of the rules. Seems strange, no? If the cameraman was so oblivious of the rules and whom he was filming, but his entire shot was on a team that they're playing next week.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

I truly do not understand why Ben Watson doesn't see more snaps. I know he's old, but he's a way better option in a 1 TE set than LaCosse, who frankly just isn't good, but has been their primary TE in one sets all season. ESPECIALLY on passing downs.

Realistically, this offense needs 4 and 40 a game, and above average blocking from the TE position. LaCosse isn't going to give them anything close to that, on either account. Might as well play Watson 80%+ snaps at this point and see what he can give you.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
So we have yet to see what's on the tape. Time will tell. One oddity I see with this story though is that if the Pats videographer was just mindlessly filming with no ill intent, why was it only focused on the Bengals sideline? No footage was shot of the team they had already played, but the team they haven't played yet was arbitrarily caught on film by a guy that wasn't aware of the rules. Seems strange, no? If the cameraman was so oblivious of the rules and whom he was filming, but his entire shot was on a team that they're playing next week.

Honestly, without knowing how long the video they confiscated actually is, I genuinely believe it's a case of a video guy being an oblivious idiot.

Think about it. They are doing an expose on an advance scout. I can see exactly how this would've been edited. Interview with advanced scout talking about whatever he's talking about regarding the Bengals, cut to a shot of Bengals sideline doing stuff and a play happening, cut back to advanced scout writing/typing stuff down.

For a sequence like that, you'd be taping the sideline exclusively for a bit to use footage in the editing room.

If the video they turned over to the NFL is an entire games length of video, and only 8 minutes of 3+ hours is sideline? Pretty obvious what happened.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

But didn't he specifically say that the is their TV production department, which has nothing to do with football operations? Belichick is in charge of football operations, but nothing else. He's not the President of the organization. Of course, he could be lying. That's entirely possible. I guess the connection would be that he has to sign off on the "Do Your Job" videos in which football operations personnel are featured, but who knows if he's that much of a micro-manager. It's likely whoever is in charge of their marketing department signs off on these things.

I think the fact that it's been pretty radio silent today suggests there wasn't much on the tapes that proved illicit activity. Basically the only thing that's come out is that NFL reporters like Ian Rapoport and Judy Battista are saying the league is leaning towards believing the Patriots' intentions weren't nefarious. They may be punished because whoever leads their marketing department, or at least who ever is in charge of their "Do Your Job" videos, is an idiot and didn't tell the contractors what they could and couldn't do.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Bill can deny it but if the video is specifically focused in on getting signals it's not going to matter to Goodell what Bill says. He's gonna be the one punished. Aren't there owners meetings going on right now? What better time to discuss this.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They're getting the Patriots take. Hope the league agrees.

The Patriots have also taken steps toward handling the matter internally. Those in the production wing fear jobs are at stake.

If someone gets fired over this every videographer contractor in town will boycott working for the Pats.

Let's be real about this - if the Patriots wanted to tape signals just buy a good seat and have someone with an iPhone do it.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Patriots have also taken steps toward handling the matter internally. Those in the production wing fear jobs are at stake.

If someone gets fired over this every videographer contractor in town will boycott working for the Pats.

Let's be real about this - if the Patriots wanted to tape signals just buy a good seat and have someone with an iPhone do it.

Guy probably did nothing wrong or at least didnt intend to but now you have every sports pundit and fan creating creating their own reality or scenario of what they think happened, it turns into some feeding frenzy and now they have to come up with some arbitrary punishment to calm the masses. Modern day society is one witch hunt after another. Can we chill out and let the facts come out for once? If I worked as a camera man, ya it would be scary to even go near a NFL team knowing what possibly awaits you. Who wants to end up with their life ruined for filming a documentary

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->