NCAA GDT: Week 15: Championship Weekend

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
What a joke, but Memphis should be a fairly easy W.

The REAL joke is Pitt playing Eastern Michigan in Detroit the day after Christmas hahahahah. What a joke of a program.

Reactions: PanthersPens62

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Wisconsin to the Rose Bowl, not Penn State. They’re going to the Cotton Bowl against Memphis.

losing to Illinois should have disqualified Wisconsin from the Rose Bowl.

Penn State did not have a bad loss. Wisconsin apparently is getting a free pass for losing to a 6-6 team

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Penn State absolutely got jobbed. Wisconsin gets rewarded for losing twice to the Buckeyes even though they had a horrible loss to Illinois. Poor Memphis, they don't stand a chance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
losing to Illinois should have disqualified Wisconsin from the Rose Bowl.

Penn State did not have a bad loss. Wisconsin apparently is getting a free pass for losing to a 6-6 team

It's a judgement call, sure you can use that, but there's been instances where free passes have applied because they simply just don't believe that's reflective of their team.

In the very first CFP, they let Ohio State in after their losing to a down-Virginia Tech *at home* (this is the VT that then lost to ECU at home and then produced the infamous image of Frank Beamer celebrating a 0-0 regulation tie, but likewise went 6-6) on the basis of 'they are a different team today than they were then,' crushed Wisconsin 59-0, jumped Baylor (Big 12 had no CCG) and of course that thinking was rewarded when Ohio State beat Alabama and Oregon to win the whole thing.

I think the difference was that I don't believe the committee ever liked Minnesota. Penn State and Wisconsin both played them in Minnesota. Penn State lost, Wisconsin whooped them and then played Ohio State fairly tight.

Also, if you look around the final rankings, there was hardly any movement including teams who lost. Virginia dropped 1 spot after getting 62 hung on them. Georgia dropped 1 after getting crushed, but they beat a team Oregon lost to, Baylor and Wisconsin couldn't move up after losing, and they beat Florida who is in the top 10.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Brand appeal factors into these things. Regardless of what their own deluded cult thinks, the Ped State brand is rock bottom for very obvious reasons. The Rose Bowl committee isn't going to invite that stain upon their game if they can avoid it.

Reactions: southsideIrish

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
MI/Bama in Citrus Bowl NYD.
Can someone tell me how the Citrus Bowl, among others, get to be on network tv (ABC) when the NY6 are all on ESPN? Although with a matchup line that, it might get more attention than the Cotton Bowl

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
Brand appeal factors into these things. Regardless of what their own deluded cult thinks, the Ped State brand is rock bottom for very obvious reasons. The Rose Bowl committee isn't going to invite that stain upon their game if they can avoid it.

Well said, and probably lots of truth to that. In reality, Penn State had no real signature wins either. Their most "impressive" win was squeaking by 3-loss Michigan at home. Other than that, zip. They lost to OSU for the 14th time in 18 games, lost at Minnesota, and struggled to beat weak Pitt and Rutgers at home. Also should have lost to Indiana. Really not much there to be impressed about.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
As a casual fan I am thrilled that we get to see Ohio State-Clemson, and the possibility of LSU-Clemson.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
MI/Bama in Citrus Bowl NYD.
This will be yet another embarrassment for Harbaugh & Company, but that's not exactly shocking at this point.

I'd love to see any coach at Ohio State lose 3 straight vs Michigan (let alone Harbaugh losing 5 in a row) these days and still be able to keep their jobs without question.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
They just didn't punish Wisconsin for playing in the conference championship game.

Wisconsin had a worse loss, but they also had better wins - thrashed Michigan and Minnesota, and beat Iowa.

I would have been alright with Penn State getting the Rose Bowl, but I don't think its outrageous that Wisconsin got the spot either.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This will be yet another embarrassment for Harbaugh & Company, but that's not exactly shocking at this point.

I'd love to see any coach at Ohio State lose 3 straight vs Michigan (let alone Harbaugh losing 5 in a row) these days and still be able to keep their jobs without question.
Michigan is not in a good spot. They want to move on I’m sure his buyout is huge so they only can if he goes back to the NFL. Which also won’t happen.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I like how ‘#1 is important because you don’t want to play Clemson’

Maybe that’s an indication that Clemson should be #1

I keep seeing this and people are definitely taking it the wrong way. People are just saying you’d much rather face Oklahoma than Clemson. That doesn’t mean Clemson should be #1.

If the battle for 1 & 2 was between LSU & Clemson, people would be saying the same thing about Ohio State.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Hard to get a good read on Clemson. Guys in the know tend to be very high on them and somewhat low on LSU compared to the general public and regular media. I'm just not sold you can suddenly ramp up the intensity after what amounts to a 13-game pre-season. The other three teams knew they were always one step away from a landmine and had to stay sharp and focused. They're battle-tested. Clemson is not, unless we're going all the way back to last year's playoff.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Well said, and probably lots of truth to that. In reality, Penn State had no real signature wins either. Their most "impressive" win was squeaking by 3-loss Michigan at home. Other than that, zip. They lost to OSU for the 14th time in 18 games, lost at Minnesota, and struggled to beat weak Pitt and Rutgers at home. Also should have lost to Indiana. Really not much there to be impressed about.

But Penn State had no bad losses.

Losing to 6-6 Illinois apparently got bypassed

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Penn State's appeal is not at a low, if it was Notre Dame or Utah would've gotten in as the at-large. The Rose Bowl takes Wisconsin because the committee ranked them such.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Can someone tell me how the Citrus Bowl, among others, get to be on network tv (ABC) when the NY6 are all on ESPN? Although with a matchup line that, it might get more attention than the Cotton Bowl

Because ESPN pays $435mm a year for the rights to have the CFP and NY6 on pay-TV.

Gotta justify that ~$9/month subscriber fee somehow.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I understand if Penn State wants to feel aggrieved, but I think Wisconsin is the better team. Sure they had a bad slip up to Illinois but otherwise they handled the common opponents better than Penn State did. I'm an Ohio State fan and the two toughest games they had this year EASILY were the two Wisconsin games. Penn State score is deceiving. A couple of flukey OSU fumbles handed Penn State a short field and 10 points. Otherwise it was on its way to being a blowout. If you watched the game there was never a moment when OSU didn't feel like they were in full control ... both Wisconsin games on the other hand, particularly that last one ... they fought.

Reactions: End of Line

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Penn State's appeal is not at a low, if it was Notre Dame or Utah would've gotten in as the at-large. The Rose Bowl takes Wisconsin because the committee ranked them such.

Is the Rose Bowl committee compelled to strictly adhere to the CFP rankings though?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad