NCAA GDT: Week 12

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wow, Cincinnati @ UCF for gameday. Gameday has not been coy in their displeasure of UCF. Maybe respekt!

@HoseEmDown and fam at Gameday :laugh:

Shocked they actually made that decision, figured they'd go to that amazing college town of NYC for another crap Gameday in times square. The school has come a long way in a short time and the turnout is going to be sick no matter how bad the gameday crew hates us. The AD is talking about setting the attendance record which will be hard since gameday starts at 9 but the tailgating lots don't open till 5 hours before kickoff.

Wondering how they'll find a way to put them down in front of the crowd this time. Expecting a lot of praise for the city, Disney, how nice the campus is but still they'll tell us we don't belong and have no chance. Gameday hasn't been to Gainesville since 2012, Tallahassee 2014 so we have a chance to show these in state kids you can stay home and be on primetime. Hopefully they show up and don't embarrass themselves in front of the nation, this is the game I'm most worried about as a lose takes them out of the conference championship game.

Reactions: HFBCommenter
Sep 19, 2008
ESPN College GameDay analyst Kirk Herbstreit: 'I don't have a personal vendetta against UCF'

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit, an outspoken critic of the UCF’s dubious strength of schedule, expects to be greeted with unflattering “fathead” signs and other forms of lampoonery on Saturday when College GameDay visits Orlando for the first time.

“I would expect nothing less than thousands of those fathead pictures,” Herbstreit said and laughed during a teleconference Thursday to publicize GameDay’s appearance on UCF’s campus as a lead-in to Saturday night’s monumental American Athletic Conference showdown between No. 11 UCF and No. 24 Cincinnati. “I find the energy (of UCF fans) is what college football is all about. I think it’s smart of them to be loyal and support their team. Anybody who gets in the way of not believing in what they believe in, you’re gonna get it and I understand that.”

Herbstreit stressed during the teleconference that he is not a UCF critic; he is simply a critic of UCF’s strength of schedule. His job is to analyze and give opinions on college football and, understandably, his opinions haven’t set well with UCF fans.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
ESPN College GameDay analyst Kirk Herbstreit: 'I don't have a personal vendetta against UCF'

ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit, an outspoken critic of the UCF’s dubious strength of schedule, expects to be greeted with unflattering “fathead” signs and other forms of lampoonery on Saturday when College GameDay visits Orlando for the first time.

“I would expect nothing less than thousands of those fathead pictures,” Herbstreit said and laughed during a teleconference Thursday to publicize GameDay’s appearance on UCF’s campus as a lead-in to Saturday night’s monumental American Athletic Conference showdown between No. 11 UCF and No. 24 Cincinnati. “I find the energy (of UCF fans) is what college football is all about. I think it’s smart of them to be loyal and support their team. Anybody who gets in the way of not believing in what they believe in, you’re gonna get it and I understand that.”

Herbstreit stressed during the teleconference that he is not a UCF critic; he is simply a critic of UCF’s strength of schedule. His job is to analyze and give opinions on college football and, understandably, his opinions haven’t set well with UCF fans.

I like how he is criticizing UCF schedule, which is very good this year I'll agree, but not Clemson. I know SOS is subjective as their are many didn't sites that do one. I saw SBNation had UCF at 104 while Clemson was at 83. As a G5 school you're going to be lower than the P5 schools even if you schedule 4 P5 for your OOC, all P5 are playing at least twice as many P5 teams than you. It had Alabama 45, got a huge bump from LSU, and Notre Dame 59. Both better than UCF but not all that amazing. As for 1 loss teams it had WVU 91, Oklahoma 68, Ohio State 75, Washington State 78. So to call out UCF specifically when there's a lot of others who aren't too far ahead is why UCF fans give him so much hate.

member 157595

I'm not necessarily defending UCF, but NCAA football is really top-heavy at the moment. How many P5 teams are mediocre at best right now?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm not necessarily defending UCF, but NCAA football is really top-heavy at the moment. How many P5 teams are mediocre at best right now?

I will say that if you have a 2 loss LSU at 7 then that's where mediocrity begins this year. Even the teams in front of them aren't world beaters besides Alabama. Clemson could have easily lost to Syracuse early in the year, early season Michigan was not very good, Notre Dame has squeeked by a few not so good teams, Oklahoma is lucky Texas Tech QB got hurt and OSU missed the 2pt conversion. When a 3 loss teams is 13 and 4 loses are in the top 20 already then college football is not as seperasep as the P5 wants to tell you. Florida is a couple of plays from being 5-5 yet are 13, Miss State is 21 and their best win is Louisiana tech. There are a lot of good G5 schools getting left out just so they can prop up the schedule of the top teams by over ranking these average P5 ones.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Clemson has built in credibility at this point. We can also look at the recruiting & draft rankings to further confirm that they are at least one best four rosters/teams in college football.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I will say that if you have a 2 loss LSU at 7 then that's where mediocrity begins this year. Even the teams in front of them aren't world beaters besides Alabama. Clemson could have easily lost to Syracuse early in the year, early season Michigan was not very good, Notre Dame has squeeked by a few not so good teams, Oklahoma is lucky Texas Tech QB got hurt and OSU missed the 2pt conversion. When a 3 loss teams is 13 and 4 loses are in the top 20 already then college football is not as seperasep as the P5 wants to tell you. Florida is a couple of plays from being 5-5 yet are 13, Miss State is 21 and their best win is Louisiana tech. There are a lot of good G5 schools getting left out just so they can prop up the schedule of the top teams by over ranking these average P5 ones.

That kind of selective reasoning works both ways though. UCF last week beat an awful Navy team by just 11. Cincinnati beat the same Navy team 42-0. The week before UCF allowed 40 points and almost 700 yards of offense to Temple who's hardly a juggernaut.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Clemson has built in credibility at this point. We can also look at the recruiting & draft rankings to further confirm that they are at least one best four rosters/teams in college football.

What does recruiting rankings and draft picks have to do with anything? That's just another way to try to keep G5 schools down as they're never in the top 25 for recruiting and hardly have kids drafted. It doesn't mean those teams aren't as good and shouldn't get a chance at the playoffs if they win their games.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
That kind of selective reasoning works both ways though. UCF last week beat an awful Navy team by just 11. Cincinnati beat the same Navy team 42-0. The week before UCF allowed 40 points and almost 700 yards of offense to Temple who's hardly a juggernaut.

Ok, UCF beat Pitt by 31 while Notre Dame just 5. Oklahoma gave up over 600 yards to Oklahoma State who's hardly a juggernaut.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Gotta admit, it’s a relieving feeling getting to close out with Rutgers and Maryland.

We Are... On the road to yet another NY6 Bowl.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Why doesn't this Cincinnati/UCF game have a line? Are we waiting for the Bear on this one?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
We are all Syracuse fans today, go Orange!

Since I know UCF won't be making the playoffs I actually want Notre Dame to go undefeated. Notre Dame making the playoffs keeps another P5 conference out of the playoffs and the chance for expansion grows. ND loses then Georgia is in the top 4 so another chance for two SEC no one wants. The Big 12 winner most likely jumps them but there's a chance they knock each other off which would then propel a 2 loss LSU into the mix. The best bet for expansion is ND keeping the Big 12 and PAC 12 champs out especially if those teams have just 1 loss. I could see them going to 8 real quick since itlli have been two straight years two P5 conferences missed out.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
OK @GKJ - here is today's gateway to becoming a gazillionaire, courtesy of the one & only Bear:

11/17/18Wake Forest + 6.5 vs Pittsburgh
11/17/18UCLA + 3.5 vs Southern California
11/17/18Oklahoma State + 6.5 vs West Virginia
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He likes OKST to outright beat WVU, which I think could very well happen.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Did someone really try and argue Clemson isn't one of the best teams in the nation?

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
Corso's Headgear Selection from the campus of the defending national champion UCF Knights......where elite Jags QB Blake Bortles honed his skillz! :yo:

Factoid: This will be the 58th different headgear Lee will don, as he has not yet donned the Bearcat or Knight head.

Sign of the Day: "CFP votes in Broward County" :biglaugh:

Celebrity Picker: Famous Talk show Host Maury Povich...another baffling choice by ESPN (unless he declares UCF the true national champs :laugh:), who sucks up to the home crowd by picking the Knights

Lee: has left the set.....is in the middle of a throng of UCF fans....says he lives in Lake Mary FL & UCF is Orlando's hometown team & as he is wearing a full knight costume declares they will win tonight. :biglaugh:

Reactions: HoseEmDown

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
OK @GKJ - here is today's gateway to becoming a gazillionaire, courtesy of the one & only Bear:

11/17/18Wake Forest + 6.5 vs Pittsburgh
11/17/18UCLA + 3.5 vs Southern California
11/17/18Oklahoma State + 6.5 vs West Virginia
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
He likes OKST to outright beat WVU, which I think could very well happen.
He took UCLA to cover?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Before it was revealed that Povich would be the picker, there was a shot of a sign w/ a picture of him saying that UCF is not the true champs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad