Series Discussion: Week 10 Battle of the Titans

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Huge loss if true. I hope Peters puts Jankowski in that spot as he's the Flames' future at 2C.

Everyone who was just talking about how losing Backlund to Seattle wouldn't hurt that much is about to find out what an integral piece of this club he still is...
And to think this could have been avoided if we had had the same conversation about Derek Ryan. Smh.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Huge loss if true. I hope Peters puts Jankowski in that spot as he's the Flames' future at 2C.

Everyone who was just talking about how losing Backlund to Seattle wouldn't hurt that much is about to find out what an integral piece of this club he still is...

To be fair that's in 3+ years and Backs will probably decline in that time and we can only assume/hope Janko improves in the next 3 years.

I agree though, losing a Selke-esque shutdown center is not good.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
We just lost the only guy on this team that can keep up with McDavid. I'm not sure Jankowski is the answer there so I'm kind of nervous for Sunday.

This whole situation sucks but maybe his wrist can recover during his time off.

Yeah, this is truly no bueno re: the McDavid matchup. I would almost want to just put them head to head with the Monahan line but Monahan is just too damn slow to effectively shut him down.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I really don’t think we’ll notice a huge difference between Backlund and Janko. Backs hasn’t been great this year but it definitely hurts our depth chasing the Conference lead. I do not like that Lomberg-Czarnik-Hathaway line, one bit.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I really don’t think we’ll notice a huge difference between Backlund and Janko. Backs hasn’t been great this year but it definitely hurts our depth chasing the Conference lead. I do not like that Lomberg-Czarnik-Hathaway line, one bit.

Remember when smith got injured and everybody said we would be fine? Let's wait and see before proclaiming that jankowski is ready.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Remember when smith got injured and everybody said we would be fine? Let's wait and see before proclaiming that jankowski is ready.
Regardless of what a few people think, Backlund doesn’t have that sort of impact. A #1 goalie that carried a team, that wasn’t very good, for extended stretches, with an unproven rookie backup, verses a low scoring, shutdown 2C, who’s been OK, at best this year, on a much better team, that actually plays defensively by committee. The two aren’t comparable.

The worst thing about it is the timing. We’re already banged up and in my opinion, regardless of outcomes, I think it’s been 3-4 games since I actually saw this team play well.

Reactions: SKRusty

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Just to be clear, I think as of today there’s no chance Backs would be left unprotected. He’s easily one of our top 5 best forwards. But him making 5+ million per and being over 30 in a couple of years changes things providing if we have younger guys who could provide similar play for less money. Again if you talking today, we don’t have a player waiting to take Backs place.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Just to be clear, I think as of today there’s no chance Backs would be left unprotected. He’s easily one of our top 5 best forwards. But him making 5+ million per and being over 30 in a couple of years changes things providing if we have younger guys who could provide similar play for less money. Again if you talking today, we don’t have a player waiting to take Backs place.
I’m not so sure about that. If the draft happened after this year, we may still go 4 and 4. It’s pretty debatable that Backlund is more valuable than one of Gio, Hanifin, Brodie or Hamonic. It’s close.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So much can change with regards to the Flames roster between now and June 2021. Look how much change there's been in the last two years. Other than our young star core players I have no idea who will end up protected in 2021. Not even sure if the Flames will go with 7-3-1 or 4-4-1 protection list.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Could be entertaining but it probably won't help with getting a win. Flames turned things around against Edmonton last time and won when they stopped playing the Oilers game and started playing their own.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Please no. Putting unskilled plugs in our lineup has not helped us to date, what good will it do now?
I doubt he'll actually see the ice for more than 8 or 9 minutes but he'll definitely be useful in defusing any possible goonery in the 1st

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I doubt he'll actually see the ice for more than 8 or 9 minutes but he'll definitely be useful in defusing any possible goonery in the 1st

He's even more useless than Lomberg. I'll be scared if mcdavid somehow ends up on the ice with him. And he didn't even protect Gaudreau when he was harassed in the past.

I don’t mind it. He can fight the plugs like Lucic and Kassian. We don’t need our good players doing that.

Except we don't need to play that game. We played our game last time and won, doing this is setting us up for failure.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Could be entertaining but it probably won't help with getting a win. Flames turned things around against Edmonton last time and won when they stopped playing the Oilers game and started playing their own.

Well, realistically, what made the Flames look bad in the first half of that game was really just their PP. They actually were successful playing the chippy game 5-on-5. They consistently got the better of the Oilers and goaded them into penalties. If they didn't go whatever it was.... 0-5 with a SHG?.... the story would've looked very different. The third period went the Flames' way when they started handling the puck with confidence. The thing that was killing them before that was being super nervous on the puck for some reason.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
First in the West Baby!! Yeah!!

Real good overall effort last night down at the dome by both teams despite the teams being banged up. The first period Calgary struggled with the adjustments to the line-up with Gio and Backs out. Really impressed with the first goal and Lindholm's poise under pressure after the initial scoring opportunity was fell apart. Kylington's shot was a thing of beauty and we were up 1-0.

The second line looked horrible all night long with the exception of the one draw in the 3rd period. Would really like to see Peters load that line up with speed for the tilt against Edmonton to counter McDavid with maybe Chucky, Bennett and Czarnik. They may not score but they will be able to keep up with the play.

Jankowski, Neal and Mangiapane were pretty dominant all night and it is hard to believe this line does not have more points this week. Mangiapane and Neal both had multiple chances and were either robbed by Saros or a stick got in the way.

Quine played well on the forth unit and after Bennett was moved to that line they generated some good opportunities.

Kylington had probably his best game thus far and looked dangerous at almost every turn. If he keeps it up Calgary could have a real dilemma on their hands... Who goes back to the AHL Valimaki or Kylington? Prout had a good game last night and looked much more polished.

Brodie being moved to the left side went smoothly and he and Andersson played some quality minutes together. Muted in all the line-up changes though were the pairing of Hamonic and Hanifin and how they handled the heavy lifting all night.

Despite a weaker goal earlier in the third Smith was the MAN all night long. He was locked in and having fun. I can't believe how much pressure he takes off the D-men by playing the puck or for that matter how physical he can be still baffles me how he can win the battle against 2 Wild players with the puck so he can get back in the net.

The thing I liked seeing the most however was how this team rallied around the adversity of missing Backs and Gio and came out to play. A loss would have been easy to excuse away but the boys put on their big boy pants and did what they needed for the win.

Total Points this week 6 out of 6

Would be nice if the boys put up the W today in Edmonton so the Leafs could be put in their place. For now we are first in the West. Yeah Baby!!

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Been dealing with some health issues in the household so I am sorry for my tardiness.

Moving forward from week 10 the Flames largest issue is injuries and how it is starting to affect the team. The loss to Edmonton was a product of being tired and letting the Oilers play their game. With Backlund out it made things difficult get McDavid and co agitated over the tight checking. Moving forward Jankowski, Ryan and Bennett need to raise their compete level.

Since I am writing this after the Philly game I must say Smith's status is especially concerning going into a 3 game road trip. Here is hoping Rittich and his big saves come into play while Smith's issues get ironed out. Calgary can not afford to lose Smith long-term.

Beautiful to see Andersson get his first goal as a Flame and looking forward I would expect to see him in more crucial situations.

We are first in the West again and if the Flames get healthier in the coming 2-3 weeks we should be treated to a run at the Conference title which would ensure home ice advantage through the first 3 rounds. That should be the Flames goal now that they have put themselves in the position to contend.

Week 10 points 6 out of 8 possible. Go Flames Go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad