Series Discussion: Week 10 Battle of the Titans

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm <- Without Backlund the 2nd line will be in tatters. It's imperative we keep our most productive line together.

Tkachuk - Bennett - Neal <- This is the scenario we signed Neal for, he can score and now we need someone to step up and fill the hole in our top 6. This is also a perfect opportunity to give Bennett a shot at a big role now that hes been playing well for a solid stretch.

Look at having Ryan slide into 4C/3C with Janks as the other C. Give Mangiapane a shot in the top 9. Get Czarnik into the lineup full time as well.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
You think Peters is going to elevate Czarnik from popcorn eater to 2C in the span of a day? Yikes.

I think they'll roll with Bennett or Janko in that 2C spot if Backlund is out long term. I wouldn't mind them trying Lindholm there as it might give Neal a chance to really get going, but I doubt they split up the hottest line in the league.
I’m not saying they will, I’m saying they should. Czarnik is better suited as a centre and flat out more talented than Bennett. Peters will probably just move everyone up a spot.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Nylander will be fine... NOW STOP TALKING ABOUT IT!!!

I'm now going back to my room now to sit in the dark while I quietly hold myself and rock back and forth.. and talk to myself...

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
The Flames hard work over the last couple weeks has done a lot to draw them into some pretty elite company. No team is hotter in the last 10 games with the Flames sporting a 8-1-1 record and has the Flames drawing closer and closer to some pretty elite club members. By the end of Sunday Calgary could not only be leading the Pacific but also be in sole retention of the Western Conference lead as they are only 1 point behind first place Nashville. Saturday's tilt will decide who is tops in the Western conference...For now. With 2 wins Calgary would elevate itself to be in the company of Tampa and Toronto vying for first in the NHL with a total of 42 points. Toronto at best could be at 43 points with a Saturday's tilt against the Bruins.

With Backlund questionable for Saturdays game the Flames will be in hard but the Flames solid start has them in position to be mentioned with the best teams in NHL. Reporters out East are all taking notice of Calgary and the depth assembled here in Calgary. Many of us fans are still looking at every game with a microscope wanting the team to be better and that is not a bad thing because we see the potential not fully unlocked. That said I would encourage you all to step back and look what this club has done in it's first 29 games and the potential for this club to put something very special this season.

Last night against the Wild the Flames did not play their best but still pulled out the W. With a 49.33 CORSI it shows the game was fairly even on both sides and considering the Flames locked things down and protected their lead most impressively for the last 15 minutes of the third period. Smith has finally righted his ship and other than some injury woes the team is in excellent shape.

Story lines moving forward:
  • How long will Backlund be out of action?
  • Will Gio be suspended for his trip of Koivu?
  • Czarnik or Lomberg for Saturday's game against Nashville?
  • Smith is starting right?

Total Points this week 4 out of 4

Just in:

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I have a feeling Gio just gets a warning and a fine. Lomberg is definitely missing Saturday, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was an additional couple games added after his hearing.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
If Gio gets suspended that could hurt... (big if, not expecting one honestly)

Hanifin - Hamonic
Kylington - Brodie
Please god not Peluso - Anderson

Do we have any options on the farm other than Peluso???

AOM? Healy? Valiev?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
You mean Prout. AOM is on an AHL only deal at the moment. Next in line are Nielsen, Valiev, Taormina and Healey. Order may vary.

Hanifin-Hamonic
Brodie-Andersson
Kylington-Prout

If Giordano is suspended, it shouldn't be for more than a game. He has no history or anything. More likely, it's just a fine. We'll see though.

But if he suspended, again, just goes to show how important depth is.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Practice is starting at the dome. Should be getting an ambiguous update on Backlund and maybe a hint if Gio will be playing tomorrow.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Practice is starting at the dome. Should be getting an ambiguous update on Backlund and maybe a hint if Gio will be playing tomorrow.

Remember that one particular poster who hated on stone irrationally? Guess he's happy that he's back considering what the other option would be.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Anyway, if Giordano is suspended, wouldn't be opposed too:

Hanifin-Hamonic
Brodie-Andersson
Kylington-Stone

Or:

Hanifin-Brodie
Stone-Hamonic
Kylington-Andersson

Personally prefer the first one tbh.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Brodie was more hindered by Gulutzan's awful, passive, 50-50 system then being on the left side.

At least that's a theory I'd be interested in testing out.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Remember that one particular poster who hated on stone irrationally? Guess he's happy that he's back considering what the other option would be.

I'm happy he is back because of his personal health. I don't want him anywhere near this team still. If it comes down to Stone and Prout though I'd rather Stone play.

Gio gets a hearing, Peters gets fined, but the officials who can't call a blatant trip which should be an automatic goal that eventually leads to our player getting a possible concussion get off scot-free.

If I were to guess Gio gets 1 game because Koivu didn't play another shift afterwords.

If Backlund is out for an extended period of time this is where Neal has to step up and assert himself as a solid addition to the roster.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
It is unlikely Stone will be available for either game this weekend though moving forward if Gio is suspended more than 2 games he may draw in.

Stone is still likely a luxury the Flames don't need moving forward. IMO getting Stone playing in the best possible situations would be best for the Flames so they can maximize his value for a trade.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
You mean Prout. AOM is on an AHL only deal at the moment. Next in line are Nielsen, Valiev, Taormina and Healey. Order may vary.

Hanifin-Hamonic
Brodie-Andersson
Kylington-Prout

If Giordano is suspended, it shouldn't be for more than a game. He has no history or anything. More likely, it's just a fine. We'll see though.

But if he suspended, again, just goes to show how important depth is.

You are correct haha. The mention of Peluso possibly being in the lineup if Backlund is out was stuck in my ear haha

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Have we not learned? Keep Brodie on the right side.

Hanifin - Brodie
Andersson - Hamonic
Kylington - Stone

I'm cool with keeping Brodie on the right, but don't break up Hanifin and Hamonic.

Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Brodie
Stone-Andersson (assuming Stone is healthy enough to play).

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I'm cool with keeping Brodie on the right, but don't break up Hanifin and Hamonic.

Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington-Brodie
Stone-Andersson (assuming Stone is healthy enough to play).
Stone has not skated in about a month. It will take at least 4-5 days at least and that is provided the blood thinners required to break up the clot are no longer being used. Dupuis with the Penguins took over a month to get medical clearance after he started skating.

If Gio is out the second pairing will become the first and Brodie will play on the left with Andersson likely.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

There are rumblings that Backlund could be out for a prolonged period of time.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

There are rumblings that Backlund could be out for a prolonged period of time.

Huge loss if true. I hope Peters puts Jankowski in that spot as he's the Flames' future at 2C.

Everyone who was just talking about how losing Backlund to Seattle wouldn't hurt that much is about to find out what an integral piece of this club he still is...

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
We just lost the only guy on this team that can keep up with McDavid. I'm not sure Jankowski is the answer there so I'm kind of nervous for Sunday.

This whole situation sucks but maybe his wrist can recover during his time off.

Reactions: Cyrano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->