Series Discussion: Week 10 Battle of the Titans

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Minnesota is 4 pts behind Calgary but they have a game in hand.

Capture.JPG

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If we beat Minny and somehow Vancouver beats Nashville, when we meet on Saturday it could be for the top seed in the conference. 2 clean wins in a row and a regulation loss from Nashville and we're the top team, pending what ever the Av's and Jets do.

I see the week playing out 3-1 for us with the lone loss coming from the Oilers because Flames.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
If we beat Minny and somehow Vancouver beats Nashville, when we meet on Saturday it could be for the top seed in the conference. 2 clean wins in a row and a regulation loss from Nashville and we're the top team, pending what ever the Av's and Jets do.

I see the week playing out 3-1 for us with the lone loss coming from the Oilers because Flames.

Would be the most classic flames, beat a couple division leaders, lay an egg when we play Edmonton. Tkachuk will have to have another game where he gets under the oilers goon's skin. Let the penalties role.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Would be the most classic flames, beat a couple division leaders, lay an egg when we play Edmonton. Tkachuk will have to have another game where he gets under the oilers goon's skin. Let the penalties role.

If the officials actually show up and do their job (they won't, they'll be trash donkeys like they have been all year), Flames should be on the PP for half the game because you know Oilers will go full idiot and goon it up if Tkachuk/Bennett start anything.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
It is fun to watch the Flames when something makes them mad. The advanced stats were not great but that what happens when you shooting percentages sky-rocket suddenly and score on what appears to be every rush. Unfortunately last nights winning recipe is not the recipe for success all season long.

What was learned:
  • Don't make the Flames mad because the go full beast mode offensively.
  • That is how the Flames should not play defense.
  • Prout is not an NHLer
  • The Flames must start showing up for games and not an hour late.
  • Bad hockey is fun to watch.
  • No matter what the Flames took 2 points in the win.

Calgary is within 3 points of Nashville and 1 behind Colorado.
Calgary is putting some distance between them and the rest of the Pacific. Anaheim - 3 pts Sharks - 5 pts.
Calgary has 4 players in the top 25 in Scoring Johnny - T-6, Sean - T-11, Chucky - T-14, Elias- T-22

Now the Flames go back home for 2. On Thursday the struggling Wild come to town and the Flames will have to tighten up their game with Dubnyk in goal.

Points this week 2 out of 2

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
One thing I mentioned at the start of the year, which is finally coming to fruition; once Calgary figures out that PP... Teams are going to be in big trouble. They have a recipe for a team that's going to get a lot of man advantages; and boy does it look like it's solved:

1) Team is built for speed. Lots of team depth with good wheels; the entire bottom 6 can motor outside of James Neal, but see below. Our entire defence when everyone's healthy is probably the most mobile D in the league. Weakest skaters? Andersson and Hamonic; they'd still skate circles around a lot of D in the league this year.
2) Rats. This team has a lot of them. Matt Tkachuk is a legit rat. Sam Bennett has Rat tendencies but is also tough as nails. James Neal is a big guy who also likes to Rat. Andrew Mangiapane is low-key Ratty. Someone also underrated in terms of Rattyness? Rasmus Andersson.
3) They have players you just want to take penalties against. Quick way to stop Johnny? Hold him, whack him, hit him in the numbers... oh wait, they're calling that this year?! Shit. Dube? Oh my son, you're just so hit-able.

Things are clicking right now. Imagine when Neal starts scoring, and we get a bit more production out of the 6 through 9 forwards (Essentially 2nd line RW, and third line).

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
2) Rats. This team has a lot of them. Matt Tkachuk is a legit rat. Sam Bennett has Rat tendencies but is also tough as nails. James Neal is a big guy who also likes to Rat. Andrew Mangiapane is low-key Ratty. Someone also underrated in terms of Rattyness? Rasmus Andersson.
Hathaway probably falls under this too a little bit. Not afraid to scuff it up against anyone.

Reactions: SKRusty

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

To add too that how Johnny draws penalties by frustrating the opposition by skating circles around them and rubbing the salt in the wounds.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

I think we should change the James Neal Player Discussion thread's title to this

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
One thing I mentioned at the start of the year, which is finally coming to fruition; once Calgary figures out that PP... Teams are going to be in big trouble. They have a recipe for a team that's going to get a lot of man advantages; and boy does it look like it's solved:

1) Team is built for speed. Lots of team depth with good wheels; the entire bottom 6 can motor outside of James Neal, but see below. Our entire defence when everyone's healthy is probably the most mobile D in the league. Weakest skaters? Andersson and Hamonic; they'd still skate circles around a lot of D in the league this year.
3) They have players you just want to take penalties against. Quick way to stop Johnny? Hold him, whack him, hit him in the numbers... oh wait, they're calling that this year?! ****. Dube? Oh my son, you're just so hit-able.

Things are clicking right now. Imagine when Neal starts scoring, and we get a bit more production out of the 6 through 9 forwards (Essentially 2nd line RW, and third line).

I’ve been meaning to state this for a while. Andersson is a total ****. Seriously he’s always in the middle of scrums and usually the one flapping his mouth more than anyone. He fits right in with our new core, love Ratsmus.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I’ve been meaning to state this for a while. Andersson is a total ****. Seriously he’s always in the middle of scrums and usually the one flapping his mouth more than anyone. He fits right in with our new core, love Ratsmus.

I loved watching him give it right back to Kassian around the net in the BoA. Kassian clearly expected him to step back and Andersson didn't flinch.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Not sure how many people remember it, but his very first Young Stars tournament he actually got into his first career fight (like, he never actually fought in juniors) and it was with Darnell Nurse against Edmonton. Mangiapane even commented on it after Rasmus said that he loves chirping people and getting under their skin. So even though he's not a fighter (0 fights in juniors, 1 in young stars tourney, 1 in the AHL against Curtis McKenzie who has over 40 fights in the AHL and NHL), he has shown he isn't going to back down if someone really wants to.

Also, someone I think on the Oilers board posted this beaut of an interview with Matty before we drafted him, and it is great:

Aug 3, 2010
upload_2018-12-6_22-10-24.png

Incredible season so far. Tomorrow night, Winnipeg could enter a three-way tie for second with 38pts with a win; the day after, Calgary battles Nashville directly for the Conference lead against Nashville, while Colorado will attempt to keep pace by beating Tampa Bay, the League leader.

As a fan, I've been immensely entertained, even moreso than the Hartley years. This success is sustainable, and this team is strong. Calgary sits 5th overall in points AND goal differential.

If that isn't enough (for you "negative Nancy" fans) the Oilers sit 27th in the League, 5th in the Division, 25th in GD, with arguably the best player in the world on their roster.

Enjoy it while it lasts. :thumbu:

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Vancouver holds on to win (3 goal lead with 11 minutes left, I doubt it), and we beat the Preds in regulation on Saturday and Colorado also loses in regulation on Saturday to Tampa, Flames are 1st in the Western Conference.

In short, a regulation win and a Colorado loss and we're #1 on Saturday.

Bye bye rest of Western Conference, we taking the lead and leaving you bums behind.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If Vancouver holds on to win (3 goal lead with 11 minutes left, I doubt it), and we beat the Preds in regulation on Saturday and Colorado also loses in regulation on Saturday to Tampa, Flames are 1st in the Western Conference.

In short, a regulation win and a Colorado loss and we're #1 on Saturday.

Bye bye rest of Western Conference, we taking the lead and leaving you bums behind.

giphy.gif

Right... let's get cocky when we the injuries are piling up, that won't set us up for disappointment.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Backlund might miss some time but I don't think concussion protocol moves that fast and the Flames aren't that leaky with information.

Regardless, I think you have to look at moving Lindholm down and moving someone fast Mangiapane up.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Bennett
Neal-Ryan-Czarnik
Lomberg-Dube-Hathaway

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Gaudreau - Monahan - Neal
Bennett - Lindholm - Tkachuk

Would be an ideal top 6 if Backlund is out.

Just don’t want Peters moving Ryan up to the 2nd line, at least put Jankowski there if you have to.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Just don’t want Peters moving Ryan up to the 2nd line, at least put Jankowski there if you have to.

Agreed with these lines. Lindholm would be better suited (with Tkachuk and Bennett) to shut down lines than Ryan or Janko if moved there.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Also, if the coach really likes what he sees in the Mangi-Janks-Neal line, I think Czarnick could fill in on the 1RW (and could still take right-side faceoffs like Lindholm does)

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

If Backs is out it is doubtful the first line will be broken up since it accounts for so much of the offensive production.

Second line will likely be Chucky, Jankowski, Bennett mostly because Jankowski and Bennett have familiarity. Ryan and Bennett have not generated much offense together. The only other option would be Bennett at center with Neal and Chucky but considering Bennett's recent cooling trend it probably isn't likely.

Here is hoping Backlund wakes up tomorrow with no symptoms.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
No point in messing with the first line. The 2nd line has been great for a while now. The 3rd line appears to be developing some chemistry. Only makes sense to try Czarnik in Backlund’s spot. At the very least it gives him the opportunity to pad his point totals and increase his trade value, if we aren’t going to use him regularly.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
No point in messing with the first line. The 2nd line has been great for a while now. The 3rd line appears to be developing some chemistry. Only makes sense to try Czarnik in Backlund’s spot. At the very least it gives him the opportunity to pad his point totals and increase his trade value, if we aren’t going to use him regularly.
You think Peters is going to elevate Czarnik from popcorn eater to 2C in the span of a day? Yikes.

I think they'll roll with Bennett or Janko in that 2C spot if Backlund is out long term. I wouldn't mind them trying Lindholm there as it might give Neal a chance to really get going, but I doubt they split up the hottest line in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad