Proposal: Weegar to Leafs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
15 less games means Dermott has a "lack of track record"?

Dermott played 220 minutes vs elite comp last season 5v5 and had a 52% CF%.

Weegar played 267 minutes vs elite comp last season 5v5 and had 54.5 CF%.

They're both fantastic defenseman that deserve to be top-4 or even better based on their impacts.

"Fantastic" feels very generous.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Poor guy gets mentioned once in some random Elliotte Friedman "insider" blurb that links him to Toronto, and suddenly he's the most sought-after player in the league by Leafs fans everywhere.

Most of 'em couldn't even pick Weegar out of a lineup a month ago, either. :laugh:

Yup. I don't know anything about Weegar, seems like a ton of experts in this thread from Leaf and neutral fans chiming in.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
right now our board wants to package him for Laine which doesn’t make sense for Winnipeg

giphy.gif

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This line of reasoning is illogical for Toronto's current situation though

Weeger is a much better player now than Dermott, and Sandin is coming up the pipeline. Dermott will , even if he ends up as good, want money that Toronto simply cannot afford to pay him so he would be moved anyway

Toronto's contention window is now and until Matthews' contract ends. He signed himself directly to UFA and I doubt he returns, though even if he stays in Toronto it'll cost even more than he is now as he is still improving. By Toronto paying Tavares, Marner, Matthews, and soon Rielly and whatever dman they eventually acquire in the next two seasons.. they aren't a team set up for the long haul, they are set up for the now. Which is fine. But that means a guy like Dermott is not worth keeping if it improves the team now - especially with Sandin coming up.

The post you quoted, was primarily driven by posts such as... "guys you are trying to give away". No, the Leafs aren't trying to give him away, and I explained why he isn't a guy you just give up on, or give away. Yes, the post did acknowledge that Weegar is better NOW than Dermott. If the ask was simply Dermott, of course I do that deal.

Reactions: Hischier and Hughes

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Wait till people find out dermott played close to 19 mins a game in the playoffs agaisnt Columbus this past year.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Understand that this is a 23 year old kid, with three years under his belt, and has projected well in every area, with a career high of 17 points.

Note, Weegar at the same age, had three NHL games, and 0 points.
Giordano at the same age, had a career high 15 points. (Dermott's is 17)
Nate Schmidt at the age of 25, had a career high of 17 points.

I'm not suggesting that Dermott is going to become a Giordano, or Schmidt, but maybe pump the brakes just a lot here. D-men's games continue to grow to their mid 20's... Dermott is far ahead of Weegar at the same age, and doesn't look too different than what Schmidt or Giordano did at the same age... in just points.

I understand that. Nobody was saying how good these guys were though while putting up mediocre numbers. Not saying it’s not possible he could be there one day, as of right now though, regardless of “top percentile GAR” he isn’t great and you can find guys like him for almost free. Bogosian can fill his spot and wouldn’t miss a beat

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
oh so he got an extra minute wow. What a stud, he got more time when Muzzin got hurt. Crazy.
And averaged more time too despite muzzin being on the team.

Any more excuses?
How about his production. Dermott has paced for 22, 28 and 15 points per 82. Doesnt seem like a lot. But it's all at even strength. Given like u said how he hasnt played a lot, once he gets more minutes which he will which has been shown under keefe he should be getting 25-30 points a year at even strength and that's if he doesnt improve in that aspect.

Anything else you need me to explain to you?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
And averaged more time too despite muzzin being on the team.

Any more excuses?
How about his production. Dermott has paced for 22, 28 and 15 points per 82. Doesnt seem like a lot. But it's all at even strength. Given like u said how he hasnt played a lot, once he gets more minutes which he will which has been shown under keefe he should be getting 25-30 points a year at even strength and that's if he doesnt improve in that aspect.

Anything else you need me to explain to you?

He had 3pts in 23 games getting top 4 minutes from January 12th on.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
He had 3pts in 23 games getting top 4 minutes from January 12th on.
I've already posted to u so idk why ur answering me now when I explained to u in a different post. Cherry picking from the start I see.

Again dermott is a defence first player learning offence. Why dont u post his defensive metrics too? Why are u judging a two way dman solely on points. Makes no damn sense.

His ev scoring has been good. He got 3 points probably because he plays no power play which he really shouldn't but that's besides the point. That and was likely the only capable defender and not cheating or trying as much for offense. He could have scored more for sure tho.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I've already posted to u so idk why ur answering me now when I explained to u in a different post. Cherry picking from the start I see.

Again dermott is a defence first player learning offence. Why dont u post his defensive metrics too? Why are u judging a two way dman solely on points. Makes no damn sense.

His ev scoring has been good. He got 3 points probably because he plays no power play which he really shouldn't but that's besides the point. That and was likely the only capable defender and not cheating or trying as much for offense. He could have scored more for sure tho.
I mean it’s evidence against the time argument you give. You can think that Dermott will be a great top 4 player; he just hasn’t been one YET.

the irony is this: Toronto fans are anointing him as being what Weegar is...as they trade him for Weegar

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I mean it’s evidence against the time argument you give. You can think that Dermott will be a great top 4 player; he just hasn’t been one YET.

the irony is this: Toronto fans are anointing him as being what Weegar is...as they trade him for Weegar
Idc for weegar.

And false. Under keefe and in the playoffs dermott was a top4 d. The only reason he didnt avg top 4 mins over the course of the year is cause of babcock not playing him much for the first 20 games.
Context is important.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Idc for weegar.

And false. Under keefe and in the playoffs dermott was a top4 d. The only reason he didnt avg top 4 mins over the course of the year is cause of babcock not playing him much for the first 20 games.
Context is important.
Why are you posting in a Weegar trade thread then?

Dermott played top 4 when other players were injured and as @TheImpatientPanther brought up didn’t do much then. From January 12th onwards, Dermott was 134th in the league for defensemen points per 60 even strength with .74 points per 60. .40 points per 60 were secondary assists (over half).

As this is a thread about Weegar; Weegar was 24th with 1.34 points per 60 and .45 secondary assists (1/3). Weegar is right ahead of Werenski and also ahead of stalwarts Alex Pietroangelo, Keith Yandle and Morgan Rielly

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Why are you posting in a Weegar trade thread then?

Dermott played top 4 when other players were injured and as @TheImpatientPanther brought up didn’t do much then. From January 12th onwards, Dermott was 134th in the league for defensemen points per 60 even strength with .74 points per 60. .40 points per 60 were secondary assists (over half).

As this is a thread about Weegar; Weegar was 24th with 1.34 points per 60 and .45 secondary assists (1/3). Weegar is right ahead of Werenski and also ahead of stalwarts Alex Pietroangelo, Keith Yandle and Morgan Rielly
People are talking about dermott a lot in the thread, and is the rumored dman involved for weegar...

And again dermott was used top 4 in the playoffs when players were healthy too so ur point is moot. Too add dermott has insane defensive metrics for 2nd and 3rd pairing. Hes a defence first player, playing actual defence and not cheating for offence, who plays zero pp mins. Bring up his defensive metrics instead and see how good those are lmao.

I'm not arguing whether or not weegar is better, or has more value. I'm proving that dermott is a quality player, and not some throw in. Cause a bunch of leafs fan and other fans dont know squat about him. Again I'm setting the record straight. Not comparing the two players.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
People are talking about dermott a lot in the thread, and is the rumored dman involved for weegar...

And again dermott was used top 4 in the playoffs when players were healthy too so ur point is moot. Too add dermott has insane defensive metrics for 2nd and 3rd pairing. Hes a defence first player, playing actual defence and not cheating for offence, who plays zero pp mins. Bring up his defensive metrics instead and see how good those are lmao.

I'm not arguing whether or not weegar is better, or has more value. I'm proving that dermott is a quality player, and not some throw in. Cause a bunch of leafs fan and other fans dont know squat about him. Again I'm setting the record straight. Not comparing the two players.
No? Muzzin was injured in game 2. If you toss out the game that Muzzin was injured, Dermott was sixth in TOI. (muzzin played 20 minutes in game 1)

There’s nothing on his record that implies he’s a regular or a great top 4D; his value is in future development.

Attachments

• 2C978E9C-C954-4F60-8EDF-219B820CAA91.png
    2C978E9C-C954-4F60-8EDF-219B820CAA91.png
    406.3 KB · Views: 5

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
No? Muzzin was injured in game 2. If you toss out the game that Muzzin was injured, Dermott was sixth in TOI. (muzzin played 20 minutes in game 1)

There’s nothing on his record that implies he’s a regular or a great top 4D; his value is in future development.
How so? He still played top 4 mins. Yeah muzzin was hurt but he still played it. Just like in the regular season when we had injuries he played top 4.

And u didnt check his defensive metrics, I'm not surprised. There quite good. Anyways I'm done with this last post theres no point in arguing.

U have red pillar trolling like crazy, u have the panthers fan who is cherry picking and now u who is ignoring context and cherry picking and not looking at his defensive metrics.

Congrats dude.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
How so? He still played top 4 mins. Yeah muzzin was hurt but he still played it. Just like in the regular season when we had injuries he played top 4.

And u didnt check his defensive metrics, I'm not surprised. There quite good. Anyways I'm done with this last post theres no point in arguing.

U have red pillar trolling like crazy, u have the panthers fan who is cherry picking and now u who is ignoring context and cherry picking and not looking at his defensive metrics.

Congrats dude.
you contradicted yourself: you argued that his performance in the regular season was moot because he was a top 4 D when “players were healthy”

I mean I looked at time on ice as I stated. Offense matters. Why not lay out your argument instead of hand wave? Tell me the statistics that make him a top 4D

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Out Toronto is now top notch and fully equipped. Dubas already said he won't be adding no more. He got thugs, vets, experiene, D and stuff. Ain't taking no mo. So this Weegar thing ain't happening. No more. We are ready to rumble during this next season and then we'll just see how far we can get this time. We are so stoked as fans seeing and following this current lineup :clap: It's filled with interesting players now like thornton, simmonds, bogosian, brodie and dell. Others as well, barabanov, vesey etc. With the real talent of course. Like Matthews, tavares marner and nylander rielly. We the best like khaled knew alrready.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Dermott's 2019-2020:

Screenshot_20201021-071739_Samsung Internet.jpg

Weegar's 2019-2020:

Screenshot_20201021-071805_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: violaswallet

Mar 26, 2010
If Dubas wanted Weegar that bad he would have traded AJ + Dermott when Florida was pushing for that trade. He clearly did not see that value in Weegar, as he said No.

At this point, I think Toronto’s interest is very low.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad