Pre-Game Talk: Wednesday practice lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Take a top player out of the lineup and see what the lines look like should be an exercise you do when appraising a team. In this case it's "Yikes".

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Yup...I can see the Gaudette line being the 2nd line. But Green will likely play the Sutter line more. Eriksson is about hwere he should be and Motte better be playing over Schaller.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Good lines, actually. I'm fine with Roussel-Sutter-Granlund taking defensive matchups all game. Let that third line get some o-zone starts.

People will inevitably look at TOI stats after the game and complain that the Sutter line got more minutes. But they'll be in the checking role all night, and will look better in that role than rookie Gaudette, Virts and Baertchi.

(note: I'm no shill for Roussel, Sutter or Granlund. I just think Green has the right idea here).

Reactions: lindgren

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
I don't know if you can boil it down to first line>second line>third line>fourth line anymore.
I read those line combos as...

Horvat line - offensive zone draws/offensive situations
Sutter line - defensive zone draws/defensive situations
Gaudette line - Versatile enough to do both, but not particularly well
Beagle line - Spot shifts for energy

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
My very first reaction on seeing that 2nd line was: Jesus...!

Instead of giving JV or Baer a legit shot at 2nd line, this is what we have?

Granlund...GRANLUND?!?!

The only logic I see here is to keep JV and Baer as far away from Sutter as possible, as the latter kills just about any plays that goes to him.

Other than that, once again...Jesus f***ing Christ...

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
My very first reaction on seeing that 2nd line was: Jesus...!

Instead of giving JV or Baer a legit shot at 2nd line, this is what we have?

Granlund...GRANLUND?!?!

The only logic I see here is to keep JV and Baer as far away from Sutter as possible, as the latter kills just about any plays that goes to him.

Other than that, once again...Jesus ****ing Christ...
green has prettty consistently used sutter in a shutdown role i dont want either of those guys with him regardless of what # line it is listed as.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Eriksson on the 4th line is a big plus and exactly where he belongs from now on, given he will never be sat out no matter how lethargically he plays and how many games he goes without scoring.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
Spread out the offence? lol
Trying to light a fire under Goldobin? Nobody can say he's not getting the opportunities.
Green sees Baertschi as a stabilizing force on a line with two erratic players?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's ugly, but it's not that far off from what little you can do with this lineup. I would do this:

Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser
Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen
Eriksson - Sutter - Roussel
Granlund - Beagle - Motte

With Pettersson out of the lineup and no second-line caliber center, you can't afford to play Baertschi in a complementary role and make Goldobin carry a line. Virtanen has to be on the second line in this scenario, and the only other player who complements his game is Gaudette. As passive as Eriksson has become, he's still a stronger player (particularly defensively) than Granlund. Also, Sutter plays in such a way that playing him in offensive situations not only doesn't improve his production (which will be fine either way), it harms the offensive production of the players around him. Keep him contributing offensively from a shutdown role.

Reactions: sting101

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Id do

Baertchi Horvat Boeser
Gold Gaudette Virtanen
Roussell Sutter Eriksson
Granlund Beagle Clamato

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
People are waaaay to hung up on the order the lines are written...
Think about role.

Being at home and having last change will be a nice change... we will see Horvat being used a lot more economically and hopefully leads to more efficiency... gets him away from their top checkers every faceoff.
Gets to cover the other top line with Sutter or Beagle. Gets to pick some great spots for starting and matching up Gaudette which is our 2nd scoring line option... hopefully. It'll probably be Gaudette's best winger set he's seen so far this season - so opportunity there.

Majority shifts are on the fly anyway... but last change will help Horvat's usage. He's the horse right now.

Goldobin-Horvat-Boeser
Roussel-Sutter-Granlund
Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen
Eriksson-Beagle-Motte/Schaller

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I’m not hung up on the order of the lines. What I suspect I’ll end up getting hung up on is how Horvat played the best hockey of his career when used 20 or minutes a night in shutdown/two way role. Then as soon as Sutter comes back and gets back In game shape everything goes back to where it was like those two months never happened.

Horvat still got time the first couple of games but I suspect that’ll stop. It’s a mistake...he seemed to show every sign of being use like Barkov is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad